Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
removing room echo from speech in audiodirector 3
KalleJorgensen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico Joined: Jun 12, 2013 03:14 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I videorecorded a multi-day conference in a hotel ballroom, and am now processing the audio and video so that the footage can be distributed.

Because the speaker was already using a microphone in order to be heard by the audience, I did not give them a second microphone wired to my camera, but rather just used a shotgun mic aimed at them and picking up what was coming through the house speakers.

Now that I'm in the editing phase, I'm noticing that the room echo sometimes makes it difficult to understand what the speaker is saying. I've been looking through various tech forums and have gotten some ideas, but can't figure out how to make AudioDirector do what I want. The main thing I'm looking for at this point (based on the advice of others) is a "center channel extractor."

Can anyone help me find that in AD3, or give me other advice on how I might reduce room echo from a speaker's voice (without making the result sound tinny)? Thanks in advance!

Kalle
[Post New]
Hello Kalle,

Welcome to the ADR forum.

I've never tried to do what you're trying to do, and cannot find an obvious way using ADR. There may (possibly) be a VST plug-in that will meet your requirements. I'll investigate that furtheR.

Perhaps you could check out the links at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24693.page#134343

In the meantime, could you please attach an audio sample (just 10-15 seconds) for testing purposes?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
KalleJorgensen [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico Joined: Jun 12, 2013 03:14 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your help! I am attaching a 15-second (or so) clip. I included a few vocal pauses so I could have a room noise sample to work with as well. I appreciate any assistance.

(I also have CyberLink WaveEditor 2; and I am willing to get and import VST's if that will help.)

Kalle
 Filename
000201.WAV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2989 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
419 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2013 09:03

[Post New]
Hello Kalle,

Allow me to qualify this post by admitting that I am not any kind of expert on audio editing. There are far more capable people who could advise you. That is very challenging audio! It's such a weak signal, generated by the distance between your microphone and the speakers.

The left channel is quite a bit stronger than the right, & it seems that "echo" is more apparent in the (weaker) right channel.

To begin with a stronger signal, I removed the right channel and duplicated the left to produce a new stereo track. I used Audacity for this purpose, only because I am familiar with the process. Next, I boosted the volume.

I found a VST plug-in that might work for you. It's called DyVision Reverb Remover - http://www.dyvision.co.uk/reverbremover.html - it seems to work well in AudioDirector with the sample files provided at that site.

When the VST effect was applied to the modified clip the result was a good bit clearer, though not ideal. Of course, the recording was less-than ideal too!

The attached WMV shows a comparison between the three clips in the screenshot.

PIX
 Filename
ADR Echo Remove.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
310 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
444 time(s)
[Thumb - ADR-EchoRemove.jpg]
 Filename
ADR-EchoRemove.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
181 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1650 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2013 19:27

PIX YouTube channel
KalleJorgensen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much!

I, too, had gotten as far as removing the right channel, duplicating the left, and bumping up the volume, using AudioDirector. (The shotgun mic was on the left channel, plugged in via XLR, and the right channel was just the mic built into the camera - a lesser-quality signal without the tight focus of the shotgun.) But once I got it to that point, I was having trouble cleaning up the signal more without making it sound weird.

I won't have a chance to try the VST until later tonight; but I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do. I'll respond again once I've had a chance to play with it.

Once again, thank you for your assistance!
Kalle
KalleJorgensen [Avatar]
[Post New]
PIX, I just wanted to send a quick follow-up:

At your recommendation, I purchased DyVision Reverb Remover, and have used your suggested technique to edit a couple dozen presentation sessions. The result is not perfect; but it is WAY better than the original. I have learned to tweak each clip so that I'm removing as much of the echo as possible while stopping just short of making the remaining speech sound stilted. I do my volume balancing outside of the VST.

In the meantime, I filmed a couple more days' worth of presentations; and this time I made sure to put a lapel mic on each presenter. Sometimes that meant a presenter was wearing two lapel mics - one for my camera and one for the house audio - but they were all very gracious about it. So for future projects I'm hoping I won't have to deal with echo anymore; but if I ever do, I am ready!

Thanks again!
Kalle

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2013 19:03

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
You might try inverting the phase of one of the tracks. I don't know if that would make things worse, or better. Jerry Schwartz