Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't figure out why my 3d blu-rays are stuttering every 5 minutes?
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
If its not one thing, its another...powerdvd 12 had issues with 2d playback with stuttering. 3d worked like a charm though. lol Now nothing has really changed with my machine other than the upgrade to powerdvd 13 ultra and 2d playback is perfect with no hitches in video and audio, and only to my surprise the one thing I cherish at the moment is 3d bluray playback. Although the 3d looks perfect, every five minutes everything video stutters.

Before anything about updating...I am always up to date with that stuff.

I'm using windows 8 pro 64bit.
I have all the latest video drivers, powerdvd patches, windows defender running as anti virus.

I noticed something very strange as I was testing different 3d blurays, starting with The Avengers. It played perfectly! Its a super high def movie with huge streaming bitrates for video. Never once did I see it skip!

I have a pretty decent machine. Gaming with it runs flawless. Even on windows 8. Not a single thing is overclocked.

Popped in THe Hobbit 3d and every five minutes stuttering...it almost feels like something is running in the background at certain times? I also check the led blu light on my drive itself and it does a couple extra flickers when the video on the screen is stuttering? What could that possibly mean? I'm stumped. My computer it self runs flawlessly so I have no idea what the deal is?

Also tried Prometheus 3d and every once and a while I would get skips. This is so annoying.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
a jitter in 5 minutes cycle indicates an service/App that may consume CPU/HDD or other ressource in this interval.

Can you observe the taskmanager and check if ay service is causing system load (HDD/CPU/RAM) while this symptom appear?

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well it looks like I have finally figured out what the issue was. The new nvidia gtx cards have a new adaptive power setting which lowers the clocks speeds of the card it self depending on usage and performance it needs. I switched it to high performance mode and restarted the machine and I have not had any skips. I'm a happy man again.

I don't know who's end this needs to be looked at on but it seems like powerdvd is not optimized for those power settings for these new nvidia cards.

I have noticed with this special evga graphics program it tracks my clock speeds in real time and video playback like for DVD or bluray it drops the clock speeds because it doesn't need to use the cards full potential. And also noticed that the cards clock speeds were fluctuating while playing the 3d movie. Every time it de-spiked and spike back up the video would stutter. That's why I feel this should be looked into.

It would be nice to switch my card settings back to adaptive performance so when I just want to watch movies the program will know how much power it needs and won't suffer from dropped clock speeds.

But all is well for now.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your detail description, I will forward the info to my colleagues for further investigation

thx
Michal Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Hi,
can you please post your DXDIAG, seems a very specific issue to your hardware environment

thx

Werde Facebook Fan
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sure thing here it is.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXdiag
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
377 time(s)
Chocka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2013 11:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well it looks like I have finally figured out what the issue was. The new nvidia gtx cards have a new adaptive power setting which lowers the clocks speeds of the card it self depending on usage and performance it needs. I switched it to high performance mode and restarted the machine and I have not had any skips. I'm a happy man again.

Where/how did you managed to swith to high performance mode? I looked at the Nvidia Control Panel, but there was no option to do so.
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Well it looks like I have finally figured out what the issue was. The new nvidia gtx cards have a new adaptive power setting which lowers the clocks speeds of the card it self depending on usage and performance it needs. I switched it to high performance mode and restarted the machine and I have not had any skips. I'm a happy man again.

Where/how did you managed to swith to high performance mode? I looked at the Nvidia Control Panel, but there was no option to do so.

I have a gtx 680 which is set to adaptive at default in nvidia control panel. It's like the eighth option down from the graphics menu tab.
[Post New]
Hi,
can you please provide a snapshot of the setting - we cannot see it on our drivers.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is a snap shot of the nvidia driver control panel on nvidia site. I'm not near my pc right now.

Where is says power management -adaptive. You can change it to high performance mode.

Driver package. 314.22 whql driver
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename
image.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)
Cap.T [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2011 11:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a similar or even the same issue with my GTX 670-Card. Unfortunately changing the Power Managment Setting to "high performance mode" didn't solve the problem for me. Every few minutes I get a short stutter for a few seconds. Manroid was this exactly the same for you? I have this issue with every 3D Disc I tried so far. All the discs work without a problem on TMT 6. They also worked without a problem on PowerDVD 12.

I've already contacted the customer service because of this, but communicating with them is a little bit like pulling teeth. No offense. I know they need to go through their lists of things do to, but when I write in my message that I tried the official NVidia Driver 314.22 and when that didn't work went to Beta 320.14 and they answer me that based on my dxinfo I have non WHQL-Drivers and should install a WHQL I'm getting the feeling that a robot answers these things and not a real person who read the complete message I send. They also told me to install a WHQL-Driver for my soundcard. That's impossible as well, because Asus has only released a Windows 8 Beta Driver for my card. Besides if it were a driver issue why would it work with PowerDVD 12 and TMT 6?

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at May 17. 2013 09:30

Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
well spoke too soon. Its now stuttering like mad. This sucks having nice hardware to run things on and all I get out of this is choppy playback.

Cyberlink please look into this. I am now not the only one. My gtx 680 states that my card plays back bluray 3d and does hd audio formats as well.
[Post New]
Hi Manoroid,
there can be several reasons for your symptoms, till now we were not able to repro them....

Can you help to check some items:

1. does the issue also happen when use single display setup (PC > TV)?
2. does the issue also happens when use (PC > AMP > TV)?
3. does the issue only happen when use HD audio Bitstream?
4. is the issue isolated to specific discs or to any Disc?

as a PC setup is more complex than a standalone player, many items can have effect on the playback.

While the issue happens - any other process is running (e.g. antivirus scanning or Windows update download in background)?

currently it looks if your issue is specific to your platforms -

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Mudfun97 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2013 02:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this same issue. I have a GTX670. Stuttering every so many minutes, and sometimes the program even crashes with very vague message about my graphics card or driver potentially not being found. I'm running dual 1080p display's one of which is a 42'' tv. I've only run 2D blu rays on it.
[Post New]
Hi,
if you encounter this issue - please provide the info asked in our must read thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

"graphics card or driver potentially not being found."
Sounds like VGA driver is maybe crashed? can you provide the snapshot of the message (or photo)?

thx

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Changing the adaptive power setting to maximum performance fixed my problem. Been driving me nuts for months.

thank you.
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi hillgab!

If you don't mind me asking what kind of nvidia card are you running ? And are you running iTunes as well?
[Post New]
GTX 460 and no Itunes
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. What driver do you have installed?
[Post New]
nvidia 314.07 WHQL