Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photo Orientation - from Débordé
[Post New]
Quote: All exported photo appear sideway (those that I took sideway) while in PD are showing standing. When I export and email, people complain.

Hello Débordé,

I moved your post about image orientation to a new topic, as it didn't "fit" in with PhD Suggestions.

When you take a photo "sideways", most modern cameras have a rotation sensor which stores an orientation flag in the EXIF data. This information shows software (like PhD) how the photo should be displayed. That's why your "sideways" pictures are displayed in PhD with the correct orientation.

Some photo display software will read & interpret that data correctly, while others either ignore it or "strip" it (i.e. remove it from the EXIF data). This applies to Windows Explorer & different websites.

Here, Windows 7 doesn't use the orientation flag for JPGs, but it does for RAW images (in my case .CR2). However, once I export the photo from PhD Windows 7 (Explorer) displays it correctly.

If your photos are not displaying correctly when you email them, it's possible (depending on what other software was used) that the orientation flag has been removed.

PIX

[Thumb - Portrait Display.jpg]
 Filename
Portrait Display.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 30. 2013 17:44

PIX YouTube channel