Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No sound in Video track
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 12, 2008 17:14 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have HDV video that I captured from my Canon HV10 camcorder. When I import the video into the media library, I can double click on it and hear sound while watching the video. However, when I insert the video into the Video track, it no longer has sound, and any clips/files that I create/export from that video also do not have sound. I contacted support, but they have not yet been able to help out. I deleted PowerDirector 6 and all references to it in the Windows Registry. But after installing it, along with the latest PD6 patch, it still does not have any sound when I insert a video into the video track. Btw, this also applies to older standard definition videos (AVI) that I imported to Power Director, so it is not limited to High Def Video.

Does anyone have any idea of what this problem might be?

Thanks,
JC
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, at least I believe I now know what the problem is. Apparently, PD6 does not recognize the audio format used with the video files I placed into the media library. I captured the files using Ulead VideoStudio 11+, but wanted to use PowerDirector for editing as it appears to be much simpler. Anyway, whatever audio format the Canon HV10 uses must not be compatible with PD6. Does anyone know if there is a plug-in for the Canon HV10? If not, then I plan to import using the Ulead product, then render the files using an audio format that PD6 is compatible with.

Anyway, I did import some files after rendering them in VideoStudio with Dobly stereo, and PD6 now seems to be able to handle them.

I have one more test I should probably do: I guess I should see if I can import from the Canon HV10 using PD6. Maybe it will recognize the audio format if it's the actual application importing the video. Hmmm.....
Dave Grace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2006 19:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I gave up on capturing into the cyberlink software and now only use a free program called WinDV. Seldom, if ever drops a single frame and allows the file to be captured entire or by scene. And it's free.....
John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dave,

Thanks. I will look into WinDV.

However, since I made my last post here, I discovered that I have no problems at all if I capture the HDV video straight from my Canon HV10 into PD6. Apparently, PD6 doesn't like HDV captured using VideoStudio 11+. Why this is the case I do not understand, but it's really not worth looking into since I can capture straight into PD6 and have it work.

What I do like is how much easier (faster) PD6 is to capture the video than VideoStudio 11+ (VS11+). PD6 recognizes my Canon HV10 as a "Canon HV 10" immediately, whereas VS11+ takes a long while to even make the connection (as if it's searching for a matching driver), then finally comes up with Canon HDV device. Even so, I still can't do anything as all the menus are frozen for sometime before I can start a capture. VS11+ menus are more confusing with the capture as well. What I guess I am trying to say is that I am liking PD6 more and more as I use it. Much more intuitive and user friendly. Also, it doesn't have that dreaded "application has encountered an error" msg that VS11+ does just before it terminates and leaves you sitting there with nothing saved.

At the point in time, it is still up in the air as to which program I will use edit & render video. VS11+ does have more features, but I'm not sure if I would be using them. Btw, I also have Adobe Elements 3.0, but it is so memory hungry (read slow) that I will be putting it up on ebay.

So far, Power Director 6 seems to be the most useable video editor I have. That's funny, because you rarely read about PD6 on all the video & camcorder forums. Most focus is either on Adobe, Corel (Ulead) or Pinnacle video editors.
Dave Grace [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 24, 2006 19:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I didn't catch that you were capturing HiDef. I don't have a HiDef camera, and the WinDV website doesn't address HDV, so might just try it if you have the desire. I just captured 91 minutes of an old video, from my VCR, and 0 dropped frames with WinDV.
I too have been fairly happy with the Power Director program. I also have the full version of Power Producer, allowing for more elaborate menus to be made than from the Lite version that comes with PD. I'm interested in the PD7 that maybe released this spring, as it also does the authoring, maybe making PP obsolete.
When I went online to research video editing and authoring software I found a comparison done with the Cybrelink products as #1 choice. I did the same search last month and still found this to be true.
Good luck.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Both,

I'd welcome it if both of you would record a few raw short video file and make them available as a sample - 1 min, 3 min and 10 min.

PM me if you can do this please.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

I'm assuming you both have PD6 and the version build is 2319.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
PART A
PowerDirector Version build.

Create info PART B as well please.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2008 15:23

John [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Thank you for your link & help. Sorry for the delayed response, but I have been busy lately and haven't checked back in awhile. I'm not having any more installation related problems with PD6, so I think I'm good. My only problem now is learning how to properly use it.

JC