Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error [Error Code2]
[Post New]
I just got this error message when loading a project with hundreds of photos & dozens of videos:

"A media file in your project may not fully comply with the file format standard, or your system may lack the required decoding components for this file. Please try again using another media file format."

My questions is "How do I identify exactly which file is causing this problem?" And then what do I do?

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX570
Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller
ASUSTeK P8Z77-V Deluxe
Crucial V4 Solid State Drive 128GB
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi HoGs -

Yes - a fairly nondescript message. Doesn't give you many clues. It may be one file. It may be more.

Are there any unusual file formats you've imported? Have any particular files "misbehaved" in the timeline?

You could organise your media library by file type & check the properties of any suspect items. Maybe a simple conversion would resolve it.

Do you have any third party codecs installed on your PC?

Tricky one.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. Win 10 Home 64-bit
Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU
@ 3.60 GHz 8 Cores
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Z390 AORUS PRO
Solid State Drive 465GB
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting this same message on a single .mts file. I have recorded and imported hundreds of clips from my Canon Vixia HF S200 with these exact settings, and this is the first time I've seen this. In fact this clip is in the middle of dozens of clips that I recorded that day, and every other clip is fine.

The problem clip plays fine on VLC and WMP, but something about it is preventing PD11 from being able to play it and I assume that something went wrong when this clip was written to the SD card during recording.

I've looked online for .mts repair programs, but most of them are file recovery or PC cleaner programs that clearly have red flags (we have detected 112 errors, click Fix Now). Does anybody have a repair tool that they can recommend, or have any suggestions on how to coax PD11 into accepting this file? I have uploaded it, but be aware that it's 352MB!

Thanks!
 Filename
00029.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
Error Code2 clip
 Filesize
361254 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
165 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Sorry I did bad, delete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2013 13:35

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, before you deleted your message I checked my system, and the only standalone codec I had was Divx.

I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 Codec pack from CNET, and after restarting my PC PD11 shows the thumbnail of the problem clip in the library and timeline (it was blank/all black before), but I still get the same error message when I try to play the clip.

I can now trim the clip in the timeline by dragging either edge, but still no luck in viewing the clip. I tried to produce the clip as Quicktime (which is what my customer wants) but got an error message when that clip came up in that step.

If different codec pack might help, which one should I try? I assume that I would want to uninstall this one first.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
Quote: Well, before you deleted your message I checked my system, and the only standalone codec I had was Divx.

I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 Codec pack from CNET, and after restarting my PC PD11 shows the thumbnail of the problem clip in the library and timeline (it was blank/all black before), but I still get the same error message when I try to play the clip.

I can now trim the clip in the timeline by dragging either edge, but still no luck in viewing the clip. I tried to produce the clip as Quicktime (which is what my customer wants) but got an error message when that clip came up in that step.

If different codec pack might help, which one should I try? I assume that I would want to uninstall this one first.

I now use K-lite CK-Lite_Codec_Pack_975_Full
No guarantee it will resolve your case.
The QuikTime play here. "MOV", does not play MTS, MPEG2

I'm downloading your file again, Resign, very large file download + slow

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2013 15:14

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata -

The clip you attached doesn't want to download here. Three times, Waterfox has given up trying!

I can see no reason (from what you've said) for your .MTS file not to play in PD... especially as it's just like all the other clips you shot on your HF S200.

It's not a codec issue, or you'd be having trouble with the other .MTS files. It's not an issue that needs any "red flag" fixes (don't click on those - they can be nasty!). It's not an issue with how the clip was transferred from your SD card, or other media players would throw up errors.

Even though I'm unable to test the clip now, I'd suggest you just convert it using FormatFactory. Choose "All to MP4" and select the highest quality profile. That will iron out whatever the problem is.

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
optodata
[Post New]
I will give that a try. Thank you!

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
FormatFactory did the trick! I restored my hard drive to just before the latest PD11 update to be sure that the latest update wasn't the problem, but the error message appeared in both versions of PD.

I downloaded FormatFactory and converted the problem clip to MP4, and bingo - problem solved! Thank you very much, ynotfish, for your helpful and very timely helpful solution

YouTube/optodata

[Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2013 15:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
LOL.... NOT EVEN MODERATOR OR D CREATORS CUD GV A WORKABLE SOLUTION..

well they say inventions are through hit and tries. just run the PD in admin mode. it will work.

ooohh god!! lol