Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disc Error on Blu-ray player
KTskier02 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2012 14:38 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have been struggling burning Blu-ray discs as I constantly get disc error. I have a LG BD300 player that has been updated and plays a multitude of formats.
I have clips I put together from the movie mode of my Canon SX230 which records in 1920x1080p HD at a rate of 23.976fps.
I am burning in H.264 with HD 1920.1080/24p.
I produced in AVC 1920x1080/60i (24Mbps) in US NTSC.
The discs work on my pc using PowerDVD9.5 but not on my blu-ray player. I am obvioiusly missing something, but cannot find anything in any manual to help. I tried burning to AVCHD to go more basic, but still disc error. Any suggestions? Blu ray manual indicates something about discs need to be "finalized", but not sure what that means and whether PD performs that task.
Thanks
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Finalizing the disk involves ( I believe) creating the chapters menu etc for the movie...if not completed the 'disk will just be a collection of files.
What program did you use to burn the Disk?
Jim
p.s. I use an 3rd party program form making the final blu ray disk. I burn to folder from PD then use the "ImgBurn.exe" to burn the DVD Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
KTskier: Welcome to the PD11 forum. I suspect that your BD player does not support the format(s) you have selected. I had the same problem with a commercial BD (Strike Back - Project Dawn). I checked it out:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1117941/list-of-blu-ray-movies-authored-in-1080i50

I then checked with Sony and because this commercial BD transcodes (or whatever they call it - I am not, by ANY means, a guru) at 50 fps, my Sony S550 would not play it, but PowerDVD 10 plays it just fine. Sony has no plans to issue a compatible BD player for the North American market, so they told me.

I note that your burn profiles are mixing interlaced with progressive scanning, and I am wondering about your frame rate and profile. I have successfully burned BDs in PD11 using the H.264 AVC 1920x1080 60i profile and they do play just fine on my Sony.

I am wondering if PD11 is converting your 24 FPS to a 50 FPS when it transcodes, or whatever it is called. In any event, DON'T take my word for it. I am a complete NEWBIE when it comes to all of this, but your comments that the BDs play in PowerDVD 9.5, but not on your BD player, brought to my old and decrepit mind, my recent experience with that commercial BD.

Hope this was of some limited help, and hopefully someone who DOES know what they are talking about, will chime in and point you in the right direction. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
KTskier02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate the two responses. I did create in chapters all connected, so that is not the issue. Also, I can write to a regular DVD format but lose the HD. The clips were definitely recorded in HD as even in editor it is noted. If PD is somehow converting to 50fps instead of 24, I don't know how to tell. Also, my BD player was updated to latest software and drivers, so I would think it should work. I have tried other recording modes to try to "dumb" it down to more basic burn, but that has not worked either. Really need some more ideas. This is a little frustrating considering that it looks great when I play on my PC. I also checked the drivers on my burner and they are also up to date. Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been struggling burning Blu-ray discs as I constantly get disc error. I have a LG BD300 player that has been updated and plays a multitude of formats.
I have clips I put together from the movie mode of my Canon SX230 which records in 1920x1080p HD at a rate of 23.976fps.
I am burning in H.264 with HD 1920.1080/24p.
I produced in AVC 1920x1080/60i (24Mbps) in US NTSC.
The discs work on my pc using PowerDVD9.5 but not on my blu-ray player. I am obvioiusly missing something, but cannot find anything in any manual to help. I tried burning to AVCHD to go more basic, but still disc error. Any suggestions? Blu ray manual indicates something about discs need to be "finalized", but not sure what that means and whether PD performs that task.
Thanks

What is your TV format in your Country? What Country?
If you are in a PAL country, your players probably will not play the NTSC disk.

PD normally does 'finalize' the disks.
KTskier02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Important question Carl312. I live in the US where NTSC 30 is standard.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
NTSC is north America standard.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Important question Carl312. I live in the US where NTSC 30 is standard.

Then your player should play the NTSC format BluRay.

That is if you are creating the BluRay Video in the Create Disk Module and have selected BluRay in 2D disk.
KTskier02 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, that.s why I am stumped. I am doing all of those and still get disc error on my machine. I have also checked my machine with other commercial blu-ray movies and they all still work, so not the machine.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl, that.s why I am stumped. I am doing all of those and still get disc error on my machine. I have also checked my machine with other commercial blu-ray movies and they all still work, so not the machine.

Commercial discs are pressed; not burned. Some blu-ray players have issues with burned discs. Go to a big box store and see if one of them work just to make sure that the disc was made correctly.

Can you play it on your computer with a blu-ray disc player?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
KTskier02 ,

Please try the following:

1 - Burn your project to a "FOLDER" instead of disc.
2 - Use a 3d party DVD burner such as ImgBurn to burn the BD disc. This app is very reliable and free as well. It has never failed to burn a disc in my projects.

FYI - With PD11 you can select either H.264 (=AVC) OR MPEG-2 formats for recording, which may be your problem. ALL BD platers will recognize and play MPEG-2. Only the recent BD players will play H.264

AVC is a better format to use because it uses less disc space = more recording capacity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 26. 2012 17:38

Win 10, i7