Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS a legit Power DVD file or a virus?
Flutterbyxox [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2012 12:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
My Norton Power Eraser found this RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS to be a BAD file which has been linked to Cyberlink on my computer.
I asked Cyberlink tech support for help in answering my question whether this file is something to worry about or not.

For a couple of days I had a back and forth conversation with Cyberlink tech support and I tried to answer the tech support guys questions, also send screenshots he requested so he could help me.
Meanwhile I never really got an answer to my question just more questions by the tech guy I was suppose to answer so he could help me. I did so yesterday and when I checked this morning if I had a response to my support ticket from him I could not get into my account, information and support ticket. Obviously I have been locked out.

Does anyone know about this RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS file? Is it spyware, a virus or a legit file Power DVD placed on my computer?

I used Norton Power Eraser to remove this file and initially it showed it as fixed/removed. However, as soon as I rebooted my computer and ran another scan to make sure, it showed up once again.
After some research online I read in a forum that this file is linked to Cyberlink and that person was only able to put a stop to it by disabling it in startup.
So I did the same and disabled Power DVD and ran another scan which showed that there are no threats on my computer at this time. However, as soon as I enable it the RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS file is right back again. When i look in the folder this file supposedly should be found it is not visible at all.

What makes me suspicious is, that even tho Norton Power Eraser is quite agressive it can not get rid of this file and now when I ask for a simple answer as to what this file is and if it is a legit Cyberlink file I get the run around and now locked out of my customer account by tech support. Please, what is going on?

I'm somewhat reminded, when Sony placed spyware on their customer accounts and got busted for it. Is this something customers here should worry about?
I don't know much about these things and only wanted a simple answer if i should worry for my computer!

[Thumb - Capturecyberlink message board2.PNG]
 Filename
Capturecyberlink message board2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
410 time(s)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
yes, the file belongs to PowerDVD 10 and I can confirm that it is neither a Virus nor Spyware.

The false positive detection has been reported to Norton.

thanks
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
alvincht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 20, 2012 11:52 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Got one like this a month ago too. Nice to see users will be much more aware about this false positive.