Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview screen turns green when editing a video
David290361 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Silicon Valley Joined: Aug 29, 2011 16:27 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Please find attached the DX Diag files and screenshot of the green video problem

Summary of the problem:

I bought a new PC, loaded PowerDirector9 (latest build) about 3 weeks ago, edited HD video and all was working fine. I was editing huge files (90 minutes) of HD video and all was good.

Note: the hardware & driver configuration was fine as PD9 was working with the HD video.

Last week I saw the green video problem when previewing HD video. This was shortly after I had switched the drive mapping for projects, imports and exports from the C drive to the D drive. After the bug had started it would not go away.

The video appears green in the preview screen, and it remains green when produced into a .WMV file.

I switched the drive back from the D drive to the C drive.
I turned off the shadow file feature for HD.
I uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDirector9.
I installed new 32 bit and 64 bit codecs.
I installed the latest video and audio drivers.

None of these changes has solved the problem. As the hardware and driver configuration was working fine last week, I can't see that it can be a configuration or hardware issue, but don't know why this green video issue started.

I currently can process HD video if I convert it to 1080p .WMV files but .MOV, MP4 and H.264 files produce the green video problem. Other (non HD) files seem to work fine--no green video problem there.

Appreciate anyone figuring out what's happening here.

Thanks,
David
 Filename
David290361-64-bit-DxDiag-Sep1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64-bit-DXDiag-David290361
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
376 time(s)
 Filename
David290361-DxDiag-Sep1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiag-David290361-Green-Video-Problem
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
343 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector-Green-DavidSmithSV.PNG]
 Filename
PowerDirector-Green-DavidSmithSV.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot of Power Director
 Filesize
222 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
606 time(s)
David
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
hi,
Looking at your Dxdiag file you do not have enough memory on your machine to do any editing 4GB for Windows 7 64bit is not enough for Hi def editing. I would upgrade to 8GB-12GB memory.
This is my personal opinion, all things considered.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim--if 4Gb is not enough, why could I make a 90 minute HD video made entirely of 1080p files 2 weeks ago on the same PC?

This green video problem popped up after several successful HD productions. David
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Did you install or update any other software just before the green screen problems started? Sometime even DVD players or WMV related files change the file type associations (the score card windows uses to deal with different file types) This has been know to break perfectly working setups. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
It is just my opinion....and maybe the last time you produced (without greenscreen) was not Hi-def...I am running Windows 7 64bit on an Asus motherboard with i7 2600 3.4GH processor with Geforce 560t graphics accelerator 1mb and 12 GB onboard memory, 1.3Terabyte hard drive and have no problems so far.
On my old system I could not do Hi-def and I had a fairly powerful system but at 32 bit.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good question on the new software installation and updates. This is a new PC so I've been installing software, but just regular email software, etc.

Come to think of it, I did install the latest Adobe Web Premium CS5 suite of Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.. It includes Adobe Media Encoder which is designed for video. Are there any known problems with Adobe installations? I wouldn't be surprised. David
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jim,

I have done several high-def productions before the green screen. The very same files that worked before do not work now. The same projects that previewed and produced HD video without problem before now have the green video issue. David
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
ADOBE might be one of those companies that "lock" their codec so only their software can use it. If they then over wrote one of the generic codec that PD9 uses, it might explain the behavior. Look at the H.264 codec for a adobe tag. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks--can you let me know where I can find and see the tags on the codecs in Windows 7? David
David290361 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've attached my list of codecs. Can anyone tell me if there's a problem with any of these codecs?

Thanks
[Thumb - Codecs-david290361.PNG]
 Filename
Codecs-david290361.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
List of codecs
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
325 time(s)
David
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not aware of a H.264 codec clash causing the greenscreen. Adobe use codec's by MainConcept.
Example; MainConcept (Consumer) AVC/H.264 Video Decoder,0x00400000,1,2,,

I would like to be proven wrong as the information would help editors a great deal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2011 04:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
See: Haali Media Splitter,0x00800001,0,1,splitter.x64.ax,1.11.0096.0014
Haali Media Splitter (AR),0x00400000,1,1,splitter.x64.ax,1.11.0096.0014
In your 64bit Diagnostic.

Remove haali splitter. It's a program included in K-Lite codec pack which is advised in the Read me NOT to be installed with PD9.

Haali splitter in 7or8 caused problems. I cant remember what they were now, but removing that program corrected the problem.

I'll continue to look at your diagnostic.

jkvideos96 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2012 22:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I figured it out! You need to render you videos! I did that and the green went away.

1.) First click on the orange things around the play head and slide it over the area you want to render.
2.) When you let go options will come up and you click on render.
3.) Wait for it to stop rendering and the green should be gone. -Joe
www.youtube.com/jkvideos96
jkvideos96 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 15, 2012 22:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I figured it out! You need to render you videos! I did that and the green went away.

1.) First click on the orange things around the play head and slide it over the area you want to render.
3.) Wait for it to stop rendering and the green should be gone. -Joe
www.youtube.com/jkvideos96
Marius [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2012 17:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
So. After wandering around through settings I have found the cause of the problem(and also reminded that I encountered it with other programs).
The problem are the drivers but there is nothing you can update. Windows' Aero interferes with the drivers and doesn't know how to give back the control.

THE SOLUTION for WINDOWS 7 IS: choose a theme that doesn't allows windows' transparency (right click desktop -> personalize -> go to category "Basic and High Contrast Theme" and choose any: for example Windows 7 Basic). This totally solves the problem and yesterday I encountered the problem very often, today I worked like 5 hours and it worked smoothly all the time).

Hope this helps, as it drived me nuts yesterday
LBPToo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2012 13:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I figured it out! You need to render you videos! I did that and the green went away.

3.) Wait for it to stop rendering and the green should be gone.

This worked for me. Thanks. Bill
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please don't hijack old threads. Post issues you have as a New Topic.
Thank you.
Forum Moderator
PD9: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=67

PD10: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=99

Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page