Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multi-GPGPU Acceleration. Has anyone verified GPU activity on both cards?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone been able to actually see this in action? I have been monitoring the activity level of each of my ATI 5770 cards during production and I can only see an average activity level of 66% on one card with 0% activity level on the second card.

My question is:

Are there users that have witnessed this NEW TrueVelocity-3 Multi GPGPU? If so, what configuration of hardware and drivers are you using?

I couldn't find too much documentation in the help files and was hoping someone else might be able to shed some actual first hand experience using multiple GPU's with PD11.

Thanks for your input!

Kevin
[Thumb - GPGPU.PNG]
 Filename
GPGPU.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
185 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2497 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 04. 2012 16:32

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin, I strongly suspect that you are seeing the Intel Sandy Bridge CPU and Graphics in action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

Read closely what Cyberlink is saying about the testing platform.

Says Intel HD4000 + NVidia Geforce GTX680.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl!

I was talking about it with Cranston and he pointed out the same reference to the 3rd generation CPU in the testing platform. I was curious if any user or beta tester had the platform that could speak more about how it worked. Is this the only CPU platform that works? Was it indeed faster? Was it free of artifacts in the produced video? Those kind of questions.

Just curious to know more.

Thanks Carl!

Kevin

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,
I have the i7-2600@3.4Gh processor ( i believe it is the Sandy bridge one) and I did notice a speed difference. But I am also running a 560ti GeForce 560ti Graphic card. I have not compared with PD10 (but I still have PD10 installed).
I have on my system some Camcorder Videos from two camcorder that I used to compile a wedding DVD.
If you PM me some instructions as to How and what to do to compare I will run a test and post the results.
Jim
p.s. I am on the west coast of Canada so there is a time lapse ...I get the posts last I guess...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2012 20:12

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Thanks James!

From what I understand this TrueVelocity 3 will utilize multiple video cards during production. I have Two ATI 5770 in crossfire. I knew that for past versions of Power Director that the second card would not be utilized. Not a problem for me. And for practical purposes the Hardware Acceleration gave less than optimal results for some people anyways.

So unless you have two graphic cards you won't be able to monitor the activity level of the second card to verify that the TrueVelocity 3 is actually working. I was looking to see if this new super duper feature is being enjoyed by someone that has the correct hardware configuration and could verify that the second graphic card showed any significant activity during production of a video file.

I see the specifications of the test hardware used by Cyberlink. But I don't see what is "required" to allow the TrueVelocity 3 Multiple GPGPU to be taken advantage of. Maybe I just haven't found where to look yet.

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

Kevin

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: Cap'n Kevin, I strongly suspect that you are seeing the Intel Sandy Bridge CPU and Graphics in action.

And I see what you are saying Carl. Is it using the integrated graphics AND the discrete graphic card? Or can it work with multiple discrete graphic cards? I would think this to be a function of the graphic driver.

See why I have all these questions?

Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
It doesn't mention what mainboard / chipset you need to have. I have the H61 and AFAIK it doesn't support this. I believe you need a Z77 chipset.

I have an i7 3770 and this feature (with a GTX660) doesn't work. There are the Nvidia driver bugs at the moment as well so it short, this feature at the moment doesn't work with a 600 series Geforce card.

Oh and the test video they used is MPEG-2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2012 21:37

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kevin,
I have the i7-2600@3.4Gh processor ( i believe it is the Sandy bridge one) and I did notice a speed difference. But I am also running a 560ti GeForce 560ti Graphic card. I have not compared with PD10 (but I still have PD10 installed).
I have on my system some Camcorder Videos from two camcorder that I used to compile a wedding DVD.
If you PM me some instructions as to How and what to do to compare I will run a test and post the results.
Jim
p.s. I am on the west coast of Canada so there is a time lapse ...I get the posts last I guess...

I am not quite sure what to ask you to test. I am sure as time goes on this will become clearer.

The subject of graphic cards has always been of interest to me and I was looking for clarification. It might just turn out that TrueVelocity 3 does production "even faster than before" but still does not produce the quality that we are looking for in the end.

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: It doesn't mention what mainboard / chipset you need to have. I have the H61 and AFAIK it doesn't support this. I believe you need a Z77 chipset.

I have an i7 3770 and this feature (with a GTX660) doesn't work. There are the Nvidia driver bugs at the moment as well so it short, this feature at the moment doesn't work with a 600 series Geforce card.

Oh and the test video they used is MPEG-2.

And the current driver issues adds to the complexity of the problem to test it properly.

Thank you for adding your input and comments to my question.

Kevin
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yea. What I found is you are best off with a Core i7 3770 and using the onboard graphics card with no dedicated graphics card installed.

Everything will work and Quicksync (IvyBridge Quicksync is faster compared to SandyBridge) just flies through the render process.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: Yea. What I found is you are best off with a Core i7 3770 and using the onboard graphics card with no dedicated graphics card installed.

Everything will work and Quicksync (IvyBridge Quicksync is faster compared to SandyBridge) just flies through the render process.

Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate your comments.

I am getting some clarification to my questions from Cyberlink directly via email right now and will pass
on the information. This sure is interesting! Well it is to some and might not be to others!! Everyone has a hobby!! This happens to be mine.

Kevin

Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey we could maybe do a benchmark comparison or something like that?

Like upload a video file to DropBox and share the render settings and see how long it takes.

I believe CPU encoding gives the best results and therefore happy to wait longer. As long as the editing and previewing works fast the actual render time doesn't worry me that much.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: Yea. What I found is you are best off with a Core i7 3770 and using the onboard graphics card with no dedicated graphics card installed.

James wrote:
Hi Kevin,
Jim

Carl Wrote:
Cap'n Kevin, I strongly suspect that you are seeing the Intel Sandy Bridge CPU and Graphics in action.

Thanks for all your input. I definately learned something! You all were right about the Sandy/Ivy Bridge as being the key to the answer to get the Multi GPGPU to work.

This is what I received from Cyberlink product Manager:

Multi-GPGPU in PowerDirector11 works with OpenCL video effects which
have AMD/nVidia/Intel icon.
And I noticed you have 2 Radeon 5770, if you use crossfire to connect
them, system and program recognize them as one VGA (nVidia SLI also).

The best case will be 2 different brands VGA like Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge
and AMD Radeon or nVIdia GeForce, actually the target users of
multi-GPGPU are them.

1. Yes, because your i7 920 does not have integrated graphics like Sandy or Ivy Bridge, and you use crossfire, so in your case, you have only one VGA to OS and program. That's why PowerDirector 11 cannot trigger multi-GPGPU.

2. Yes, just like what I mentioned, in crossfire or SLI configuration, it actually becomes one whatever how many cards you use.

Well that cleared up my question. So it looks like a new Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU might be in the future! But that would mean a new MotherBoard with the correct socket type as mine is a 1366 and I don't think I can get the Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU in that socket type!! It's expensive to stay current!! But it is a fun hobby!!

But my original question still remains unanswered.

Has anyone been able to actually see this in action?

I would be interested in hearing from users that are able to use this TrueVelocity 3 Acceleration and to comment on its performance and rendering quality.

Thanks!!

Kevin
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to know: My system is a laptop with Optimus technology. Should I use Intel Graphics or NVidia as the default? Both seems to work the same on my system even when Hardware Encoding is activated. From my tests, Quicksync seems to perform better. My system has an i7-3610QM (HD 4000 Graphics) and NVidia GT650M. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
visit http://moisescardona.video
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, if the question is does PD11 use multiple GPU's like in 2 video cards (SLI) as in using nVidia GPU's the answer is a resounding yes.

I have run my 2 x GTX460 in SLI with PD11 and can monitor GPU activity for both cards using AIDA64 and there is activity on both cards doing editing, rendering etc. with PD11, can't speak to the other brand cards.

If that wasn't the questing then sorry can't help Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Carl!

I was talking about it with Cranston and he pointed out the same reference to the 3rd generation CPU in the testing platform. I was curious if any user or beta tester had the platform that could speak more about how it worked. Is this the only CPU platform that works? Was it indeed faster? Was it free of artifacts in the produced video? Those kind of questions.

Just curious to know more.

Thanks Carl!

Kevin

I have the hardware as described and AFAIK it only uses one graphic option. I control that with LucidLogix MVP software. If I turn on the Intel Quick Sync the Nvidia GPU does nothing and vice versa. I have tried everything I know to get them both to respond and so far nothing. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
BeFi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2012 16:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Kingsmeadow,

Same state over here (z77 mainboard, i7 3770s, Intel HD4000 integrated GPU, Radeon 7750 discrete GPU, LucidLogix MVP to control which GPU does what). Display attached to Radeon 7750 dGPU.

Lucid allows me to determine that the iGPU is used without physically connecting my display to the iGPU. With that PD11 offers QuickSync and renders much faster.

Without Lucid PD11 only offers AMD HW Acceleration. Works but works about half as fast as QuickSync.

As you I have never seen both iGPU and dGPU in use by PD11. With or without Lucidlogix.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, if the question is does PD11 use multiple GPU's like in 2 video cards (SLI) as in using nVidia GPU's the answer is a resounding yes.

I have run my 2 x GTX460 in SLI with PD11 and can monitor GPU activity for both cards using AIDA64 and there is activity on both cards doing editing, rendering etc. with PD11, can't speak to the other brand cards.

If that wasn't the questing then sorry can't help

I have the same SLI set up with 2 GTX460's and "Afterburner" only shows one card active when using PD.

I haven't chased it up any further after reports of hardware acceleration rendering being worse than CPU rendering. Plus I only do short videos max about 20 minutes most under 10 minutes so time is not a factor for me. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Tim Corner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2013 15:05 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I am using Power director 11 Ultra version 11.0.0.2418 and with hardware acceleration enabled in power director i get lower cpu utilization 30-50% than with it turned off 50-65%.
I took a mkv file and rendered it to 10% complete and recorded results. With hardware acceleration enabled I had 45:11 minutes remaining to complete. With it turned off and just using cpu I had 33:00 minutes left to complete.

My conclusion is that harware acceleration does not work,at least with my setup and power didector.

I have used other encoding programs where i do see an improvement with hardware acceleration ie: Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.

By the way Cap't Kevin.....you will need to get a new motherboard if you upgrade to sandy bridge or ivy bridge. Asus Maximus Exreame-Z
i7 2600K @ 4.6GHZ
OCZ Vertex 4
16 GIG DDR-3
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Corsir H-80
ATI 6950
Windows 8 x64
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, if the question is does PD11 use multiple GPU's like in 2 video cards (SLI) as in using nVidia GPU's the answer is a resounding yes.

If that wasn't the questing then sorry can't help

I have the same SLI set up with 2 GTX460's and "Afterburner" only shows one card active when using PD.

I haven't chased it up any further after reports of hardware acceleration rendering being worse than CPU rendering. Plus I only do short videos max about 20 minutes most under 10 minutes so time is not a factor for me.

I agree with Robert. But if someone sees activity on each distinct video card during editing and rendering using an SLI setup then there you have it.

I did speak with Cyberlink representatives in person at the CES show in Las Vegas and tried to get some further clarification on this subject over dinner. Some of the increased speed advertised was a result of utilizing effects on the timeline that displayed the NvIdea or ATI logo on the effect in the effects room. The second GPU if it was of the correct type, could render these effects more quickly would result in an overall shorter render time.

I think it still needs further clarification to fully understand what is required for the PC and on the timeline with specific effects to fully understand that speed gains in rendering.

But as Robert says and I have found this personally to be accurate...rendering without hardware acceleration produces a better output.

It is never a bother to me to read an entire topic, although I do misread them sometimes.

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2013 18:11