CyberLink Community Forum
Video from DVD too big to burn//Solved  XML
Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
boongsong

Here's something I'm not sure I really understand.
I have about 6 1/2 hrs of home video, of my vacation in Laos, that I transferred from my video camera to 4.7GB DVD-R DVD. It too 7 discs to get the entire vacation onto disc.
I then copied the discs to separate folders in my Videos file. I then imported the first folder (copied from DVD) into PD 10 Ultra. I added a title and chapters. When I checked the length, it was 1:31 mins. I knew PD 10 would not burn it to another disc (based on past experience) , but I figured I'd try. Yep! Got error code shown in attachment.
I know that I will have to take some of the last clips of each folder and include them in the subsequent edits to insure I get everthing processed through PD 10.
What I'm in the dark about is: If I was able to put "X" amount of video on a 4.7GB DVD-R without a problem (all BUP, IFO, and VOB extensions), and only the VOB was imported into PD 10, why was the imported version (with the same "X" amount of video) longer than the original in PD 10?
I tried to make this as clear as I could, but if anyone doesn't understand what I'm asking, please let me know.
I'm also including my dxdiag.
 Filename June 20 DxDiag.txt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  84 time(s)

[Thumb - failed burn Capture.GIF]
 Filename failed burn Capture.GIF [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  255 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/07/2012 14:09:00

[Email]
jerrys

Senior Contributor

I think the way around all this is to "burn" your project into a folder, rather than onto a disk, and then use other burning software to transfer it.

Jerry Schwartz
[WWW]
boongsong

Thanks Jerrys. Wasn't expecting such a quick response.
I did, in fact, include a folder when I tried to burn.
That will be my next step, to use AVS burner to burn it and see if that works.
If not, I'll just move the last few clips from one folder in the next folder and keep doing that until
I get them all included.
Again, thanks for such a quick response. I never cease to be amazed at the professionalism of all those who
provide suggestions/solutions here in these forums.
Keep up the good work!!!!
[Email]
boongsong

Tried to burn from file. Can't - video too long.
Check out the two attachements. 1st one is the properties of the original DVD. 2nd one is the properties of the same video after producing in PD 10.
I hope someone can tell me how a video can grow from 3.94GB to 4.52GB with only a minor change.
(Note: the original video contained a menu from JVC's Everio Media Browser which contained small windows of each
clip (5) and it was removed from the PD 10 version).
[Email]
Carl312

Senior Contributor

If it is too big to fit on a Single Layer DVD (4.7 GB) then burn it to a Double Layer DVD (8.5 GB).

Today's players don't make any difference, they will play both disks.

Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB,WD 1TB HD C free space greater than 100GB
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
Not responsible for any harm that may come to your wallet
stevek

Senior Contributor

boongsosng wrote:Tried to burn from file. Can't - video too long.
Check out the two attachements. 1st one is the properties of the original DVD. 2nd one is the properties of the same video after producing in PD 10.
I hope someone can tell me how a video can grow from 3.94GB to 4.52GB with only a minor change.
(Note: the original video contained a menu from JVC's Everio Media Browser which contained small windows of each
clip (5) and it was removed from the PD 10 version).

Sorry, I don't see the two attachments. I would guess that the bit rate is higher for the larger file and for the smaller may even be a variable bit rate. I'm looking forward to see the attachments.

Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
VelocityMicro, I7, Nvidia GTX 560ti, 12G Memory. W7- Ultimate.64 bit
Alienware laptop I7 NVidia GTX 650,
boongsong

Sorry = forgot to include attachements.
Also, don't have dbl layer capability (that I know of). Still a "newby" on some things.
[Thumb - original vaction disc size Capture.GIF]
 Filename original vaction disc size Capture.GIF [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  260 time(s)

[Thumb - PD 10 of same disc Capture.GIF]
 Filename PD 10 of same disc Capture.GIF [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  252 time(s)

[Email]
FredB

Senior Contributor

boongsosng;
Your HP DH16AAL drive will burn Dual-Layer DVD media at a maximum speed of 8x. I suggest a slower speed (4x) to start/test.

The capacity of the Dual Layer DVD is 8.5 GB (actually slightly smaller due to disk overhead).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/06/2012 16:05:46

boongsong

Hey! Thanks Fred. Just confirme the saying "never too old to learn something new".
Appreciate the info.
[Email]
FredB

Senior Contributor

You are welcome..but at a certain age..you may start forgetting what you learned....what was I talking about again?
boongsong

Who said anything about age?
[Email]
stevek

Senior Contributor

boongsosng wrote:Sorry = forgot to include attachements.

Unfortunately, the attachments do not show the property details that would be helpful. See my attachment as an example. You were in the right place but not quite the right spot.

I've attached a second image. Gspot, in spite of the strange name will even give you more information about the video. G-Spot is free and can be downloaded from here. It is very good if you have a video that won't play because it will tell you what kind of codec should be installed. Get Gspot here. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

[Thumb - bitrate.jpg]
 Filename bitrate.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Video Bit Rate
 Filesize 68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  265 time(s)

[Thumb - gspot.jpg]
 Filename gspot.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Gspot display
 Filesize 189 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  260 time(s)

boongsong

Thanks Stevek. I downloaded gspot but somewhat confused as to how it works. I experimented with it and came up with something. Could only get one clip of original DVD and one of the same video I produced in PD 10.
Let me know if I got it right. (Would be nice if gspot had some step-by-steps on how to use it to help us tech-deficient types)
[Thumb - pd10 1st clip Capture.GIF]
 Filename pd10 1st clip Capture.GIF [Disk] Download
 Description from orig DVD produced in PD10
 Filesize 129 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  255 time(s)

[Thumb - gspot of orig dvd Capture.GIF]
 Filename gspot of orig dvd Capture.GIF [Disk] Download
 Description from original DVD
 Filesize 136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  257 time(s)

[Email]
stevek

Senior Contributor

Ya dun good !

The only difference I can see is in the rate. The video off the disc is 5712kb/sec. From the program, I see 5191. That si opposite from what I expected. Perhaps someone else can see something that I can't

boongsong

Hey Stevek. Thanks for the positive part. Finally, something went right this year .
I've been doing some experimenting, trying to figure out a way to get my original discs into a good production (don't like the "bumps from one clip to another - rather have the transitions smooth) so that my final product looks a little better than an amature.
Finding out that ain't gonna be easy. I have 7 discs, ranging in size from 3.79GB to 3.54GB on 1st six and 7th is a little over 1GB. Thought I could import 1st disc, edit enough clips to get me around 4GB and what ever was left, include at the beginning on the next, and so on. What I did was import 1st disc, used about 60 clips and produced the video.
Then I opened a new project, imported the left-overs then the 2nd disc. Bad move. Left over clips conflicted with the same number clips on 2nd disc I imported (all clips have nbrs from 01.1 up on all discs, which you already know).
Looks like I have a "can of worms" and only way to work around the numbering problem is for me to open the discs and renumber the individual clips (something like 800+). Way too much work.
I'll close this out and maybe shelve the project until sometime in the future when I'm thoroughly bored and willing to waste what time I have left on this "ball".
Thanks to all for the help and guidance. You guys are the best in the business!!!!!
[Email]
stevek

Senior Contributor

For now, if you have the disk space and want to make a highlight of the trip to show to others. Why don't you simply copy all the DVD s to different folders on your computer and then add the VOBs in order to a new project. It may take some time to load them all.

Use the Magic Movie Wizard and set the duration of the movie to one hour. (You may have to walk away overnight or more). That way you can put the highlights (as the program sees) them on one disc to show off.

Note I have not used that feature but I have used similar software to do this.

boongsong

Thanks Stevek for that info. I did, in fact, copy all 7 discs to individual folders in my Video file.
Hadn't thought of Magic Movie Wiz. Sounds interesting. I'm usually always up for a challenge and
something new falls in that category.
I'm not sure if I can get to it right away, but when I do, I'll let you know how it came out.
Again, thanks for that idea. Really appreciate the input.
[Email]

Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Go to: