Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sony HVR-V1E Unable to Capture HD Video
Tony86453 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2012 11:13 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered but I have searched and not found an answer.

I have just got myself a Sony HVR-V1E camera as an upgrade from my DSR-PD150P. I currently use PowerDirector 10 without problems.

I have just shot some test footage on the camera using a brand new sealed tape, but when I try and upload the footage using iLink in the Capture function I get the following message.

“You cannot use the capture function because the iLINK mode on the HDV device is not identical to the recorded format on the tape. Check the tape status or make sure the content of the tape is an HDV format and then reconnect the iLINK again.”

The footage was recorded in HD and Down Convert is set to off.

I use ATI Radeon 3000 graphics and have checked that I have the latest drivers for that and the firewire. I use Windows 7.

I also downloaded HDVSplit which won't download it either.

If I set it to Down Convert then it will happily record it in SD but I am really keen to see how the camera records HD.

I know others have had this problem but haven't seen a solution as yet.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2012 11:24

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Does that camera have its own capture or transfer software. Software that transfers in HD?

If so use the camera software to create a file on your computer. Then use the Import Functioin in Powerdirector to edit that file.

Are you sure you got a good recording on the camera? Maybe the tape needs formatting in the camera.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2012 11:36

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Thanks very much for the reply.

The camera is a Sony professional HDV tape camera and does not come with software. The instructions say that you have to use iLink to transfer the footage.

I have checked the settings again and again with no luck.

The tape plays back perfectly on the camera screen so the iLink or the software seem to be the problem.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sony is skimpy with the detail so I have to ask if that is a hard drive, tape or memory card camera. What I read wasn't clear.

Edit: Sorry, I see that you did say it was a tape camera so the only thing is the format.

Ignore: If it is a hard disc camera, not need to capture; just plug it in and copy the files from that hard drive to your computer's hard drive. Pretty much the same for memory cards.

If it is a tape camera, what mode did you capture as. I see at least 3 types of formats. Which one did you copy as?
I had to go to about 5 web sites to determine that it captured as mpg2 format!

That's a pretty complex camcorder and Sony is stingy with software, updates and other information so I feel for you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 15. 2012 12:06

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The camera uses miniDV HDV tapes (not easy to find but that's another story).

It records in 1080i or SD and is set to 1080i.

Just tried to call the Sony Professional helpdesk, but it's closed until Monday!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You can use Window Movie Maker for the capture, make sure if it keeps stopping you have to set it to capture PART of the tape to trick it into playing the entire video.
Your other choice is to download/install HDVSplit, the ultimate (imho) HDV capture utility, and it's free.
Read the page, you may need ffdshow, again, read the page. You'll not ever use another capture utility again.
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

I'll give Movie Maker a try, but as I said in my first post, HDVSplit won't capture it either.

Thanks for the suggestions.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Darn, hissed the HDV note. Was there an error message? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, it says:

"Capturing has been started
INFO: No more data is received from camcoder. Capture stopped.
End of capturing"

Beats me!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Make sure you have a good connection between the DV port on your camcorder and your IEEE port on your computer.

Rewind the tape to the beginning and start to play it. Put the camcorder into pause as soon as you see something. Now set up the capture dialog. Press record, wait a second or two and then take the camcorder off pause.

Some programs and devices will see a blank part of the tape as being finished and will stop. With a new camcorder, you may have some starts and stops before you really get into the recording. How much (time) did you record?

I have had no issues recording from my HD DV tape Canon Camcorder for several years using HVSplit and a couple of other video capture programs.

I can't think of anything else that would cause the issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2012 13:42

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, it says:

"Capturing has been started
INFO: No more data is received from camcoder. Capture stopped.
End of capturing"

Beats me!

I've seen that message. I think if you are at the beginning of the tape it will do that, then start it again from where it stopped and see if it keeps running. I'm going from memory now...
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The footage that I recorded is about 50 seconds long.

I have tried starting capture at various points using a number of programs including HDVSplit and it makes no difference. I still keep getting the same error messages.

Not sure whether it is relevant but although it recognises the HDV camera and sets the profile, the profile and settings buttons on the bottom right of the screen are greyed out, although they correctly identify the camera.

Could this have anything to do with it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2012 00:53

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Other than you doing something wrong, the only thing I can think of at this point is the firewire driver. Your soft-wares all "see" the camera, and you can capture down-converted.
This is the curse of tape.
My DV7, brandy-new out of the box, could not capture HDV until I found the driver at HP (they were unaware of any problems). I got my HV30 working after replacing the f/w driver with a jmicron driver from HP, and it worked with 64bit7.
You may wish to Google your camera issue and find a forum/group that has gone through this with your specific camera.
EDIT:
Quote: Not sure whether it is relevant but although it recognises the HDV camera and sets the profile, the profile and settings buttons on the bottom right of the screen are greyed out, although they correctly identify the camera.
Could this have anything to do with it?

With what software did this occur?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2012 09:09

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The problem with the greyed out boxes is with PowerDirector 10.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a driver problem. I am using the latest (according to Windows 7) but I will have a look for a different one and report back.

Thanks all for you help thus far.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
HDV is only captured in a single type of file, so PD greys those out, I still think if you can "see" the camera, but cannot properly capture HDV, then it's a f/w issue. Go into the driver UI, and after creating a restore point, see if there is a legacy driver in there. Now I'll check on that PD format thing, where did I store that camera...???
EDIT: The PD profiles are greyed out, that is normal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2012 10:03

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interestingly (?) it is the legacy driver that is loaded.

1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Driver Date 21/6/2006

Driver Version 6.1.7601.17514

I will see if I can find any other driver.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
You might save yourself a heap of time if you look at that HDVSplit link, there is a Sony forum there, you may solve your issue and return to us, as I believe this is not a Powerdirector problem. Please post any results for us. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

I don't believe that it is a PowerDirector problem as such either but I know that a number of users have the same problems.

I will keep looking.

One other thing I have discovered this morning though is that when the camera is set to DV mode it is recognised in Device Manager as a FireWire device but when I switch it to HDV it changes to a Sound Video or Game Controller, i.e. no longer FireWire.

This must have something to do with it, but I have no idea what at this stage!

I will report back if I have a Eureka moment.
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2012 05:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I, too, am having this issue. Funny thing is it comes and goes! I thought it was the iLink cable so I bought a new one. Tried it and it worked FIRST TIME! Then, this morning, I came down to upload a tape in HD and got that same message AGAIN! So, I don't think it is the cable. Based on the answers in this forum this is not a software problem because everyone else seems able to transfer HD from tape without issue. Wish someone could respond who had this problem, fixed it, and was able to figure out how!
Tony86453 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi John

I was fairly sure that I had posted my workaround but it looks like I must have had a senior moment.

Basically I came to the conclusion that the issue was using the 4 wire mini firewire plug connected to a full size 6 wire one on my PC.

We have a second computer (HP touchscreen thingy) which has a mini firewire input and the camera connects to that without any problem.

So to get around it I capture the video to the second computer using HDVSplit and then transfer it to the editing computer across my network. Obviously it takes a bit longer but it works!

When I get time I will change the PC card for one with a mini input and see what happens.

Hope this helps.