Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Randomly selected clips freeze when playing in editor or when producing
[Post New]
I'm a new user, just learning and using a new 64-bit PC that should be sufficiently powerful. I'm using PD 10.0.0.1.142c and I believe it is fully updated.

While editing, some clips play and some don't. The ones that don't play show as a frozen frame. If I wiggle the timeline cursor over a frozen clip and then hit play, then it plays. But then some other clip doesn't. I can't figure out any logic behind why a clip does or doesn't play other than that the most recently wiggled one will play. My source clips are short MP4s from an Android cell phone or Debut screen capture.

When I Produce, usually some of the clips appear as a still. Again, I don't understand which ones or why. Occasionally, they all play, so the video is produced.

I checked my video driver is updated. And as suggested in some support forum answers, I've tried setting hardware acceleration off, low-res preview, and no preview during production, but these don't fix the problem.

I have been able to make some short videos, but only when lucky and none of the clips freeze:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTl0dASnxto6j2wlVs5Bs2Q
As I've tried to make longer ones, the probability of being lucky has gone to zero.

Any advice would be appreciated, as currently PD10 is a failure for me.

Screenshot and compressed DxDiag files are attached.

Thanks,
George
 Filename
HartDxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag files
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
466 time(s)
[Thumb - PD10-screen-shot.jpg]
 Filename
PD10-screen-shot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of editor
 Filesize
453 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
222 time(s)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try lowering your preview resolution? Even a POWERFUL computer has problems doing preview in HD or better if you have titles and transitions.

You didn't need to compress your Dxdag file....

Your specs look OK.... what format are the clips that do not play?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2012 15:29

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Hi Bubba,

Yes, I lowered my preview resolution. (The problem also happens when I do Produce, so I don't see how preview resolution could be the underlying issue, but I'm willing to try things.)

As the note says, the clips are MP4s.

George
[Post New]
I now see a very similar problem in this thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23091.page

One respondent there says "This is a known problem. There is nothing you can really do about it." So should I return PD10 and buy something else more reliable. Any thoughts? Please advise!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
George: Welcome to the PD10 forum. Most of us use PD10 without any major problems, so I suspect an issue with your particular configuration. Please ensure that you have the latest QuickTime installed - PD10 relies on it.

What struck me in looking at your screenshot and dxdiag file was that PD10 is showing that it installed the 32-bit version of PD10 on a 64-bit computer. Did you migrate your program from a 32-bit computer rather than doing a complete new install?

I am suspecting that you have a possibly corrupt install because the PD10 installer package should have detected that your computer is 64-bit and installed the 64-bit version. I would uninstalll everything, preferably using an uninstaller like Revo, and then reinstall the program, the content packs, activate, and then the latest patch 1424c, in that order.

Let us know how you make out. Perhaps one of the real pros here will have some idea why the 32-bit version installed on your 64-bit computer, if you did not migrate but instead initially did a clean and full install ... ?

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
Dear Phil,

Thanks for your suggestions, but it didn't help. It was a new installation on a new 64-bit PC. But for lack of other ideas, I tried your suggestion of uninstalling everything and re-installing and re-updating, but it still fails to play clips (randomly) while editing and while producing. My understanding from the web page is that Power Director 10 Deluxe is only a 32-bit version. There is a separate, more expensive Ultra version which is 64 bits. At this point, I have wasted so much time and energy on this and I have no confidence that spending more at CyberLink will fix the problem.

Does anyone know if Adobe Premiere Elements has as many problems as PD10? I just want software that works so I can get to work editing.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
George: Sorry about that. I didn't notice (I should have) that you have the Deluxe version, not the Ultra version. Bad hair day for me, I guess.

Do you have "shadow files" enabled in your Preferences? If so, try without them activated; or wait until you get "the green" that they have finished generating. They can sometimes take awhile. Your computer seems to be adequate to run PD10 Deluxe, so I would turn off Shadow Files, if they are turned on, and see if that helps.

You could also try converting your .mp4s to another format (FormatFactory is free) and see if that helps.

I have never used a competing product, except Windows Movie Maker, so I can't speak to any other products. Some folks do switch and come back and say that it worked for them. There are just so many computer configurations. I would browse the forums of competing products though, before I made a switch, to ensure you aren't just going to wind up with new problems.

Sorry again for not noticing that your version was Deluxe, which is only available in 32-bit. I have always used Ultra so don't think of Deluxe. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi George,
1. Thanks for the image and the diagnostics.
2. There is a similarity with your issue - display stuttering and it is quite familiar to editors who use HD footage (I get it also as i stress my PC)
3. You're using a 32 bit program and it can not take advantage of the higher capabilities your system offers.
4. Please provide samples of the video you're editing - 5 seconds long will be suffient to allow editors to assess the files.
5. There is an update for PD10 coming out very shortly. Look for patch update v1703, apply it and retest your set up. http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_GB.html
6. CyberLink offer a 30 day refund. Perhaps you can apply for it and then opt for the 64bit version.
7. This is a CyberLink forum and should not be used to discuss third party or rival software.

Dafydd

Forum Moderator, item 7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2012 15:22

[Post New]
Resolved. I put in a Technical Support request and the CyberLink folks sent me version 10.0.0.1703, which works perfectly on the videos where I previously had had problems editing and producing.

Thank you all for your interest.
Caitlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2012 21:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I hesitate to ask this, but could you possibly send me that 10.0.0.1703 patch too? I have the exact same problem and it's driving me nuts. It sounds like your solution is just what I need!
[Post New]
Hi Caitlin,

I'm not comfortable distributing CyberLink's software, but I expect that if you file a Technical Support request and cite this thread they will respond to you promptly. Here's the URL:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/contact-support.jsp
Caitlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2012 21:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
ok i understand. Thanks anyway...
TheBatMan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2012 22:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Having exactly the same problem, so have also contacted Tech Support - thanks for the post George - I hope I have the same success.

I wonder why Cyberlink don't make that update available online. Only 1424C seems to be available publicly.

Fingers crossed!
[Post New]
TheBatMan;
Lots of us have been having the same problem of "stutters" and "pauses" in the preview window for HD items in the timeline and during production. This has been seen for the last couple of patches. It appears, at least for my system, that the 1703 build resolves the problem.

Cyberlink releases the patches after testing (usually testing is a good idea), so I would look for the patch in the next couple of days.

Just keep your eyes on the forum..someone will usually post when the patch is available.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2012 21:51