Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Move my project template to new computer
EXR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2012 20:32 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Dear support, I have a project template created by a slow computer system. I can’t render my video using this old PC because the rendering speed is too slow. I tested a 30mins video production and after rendering for 8 hours, it is only 12%.

I plan to purchase a new and faster computer system. I plan to output the video when my new computer system is ready. I like to find out if I’m able to use the project template on my new computer system? As the project template is not created on the new PC, it is created on the old PC. I’m not sure will there be any issues? Or I can simply open the template on the new PC and render the video? Is there anything I need to take note of before I move my project template to the new PC?

Currently, all my videos, music and project template are all at my external drive.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EXR -

There won't be any issues.

Just go to File > Export > Pack Project Materials

That creates a folder containing (a) your project file (.pds) & (b) a copy of all the media in your timeline. That folder can be transferred to your new PC & your project will open just as it does now.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi EXR -

That creates a folder containing (a) your project file (.pds) & (b) a copy of all the media in your timeline. That folder can be transferred to your new PC & your project will open just as it does now.

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony

When you Pack your project does it also 'pack' custom made colour boards, PIPs, text and other custom stuff?

Am I right in assuming it wouldn't save custom fonts that you may have downloaded eg Walt Disney, Base 05 etc?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 01:43

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Neil - you ask such good questions!

Searching for a definitive answer on this forum led me nowhere but a bunch of unrelated content. Here's a link in the DZ forum where Cranston explains it... http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/2841.page#10093

Custom Colour Boards? No - they'd need to be generated in PD on the other PC
Custom PiP Objects, Titles & Particles? No - they'd need to be be transferred manuallu to the other PC from their respective folders in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0
N.B. The .png files from Particle & PiP Objects will be included in the packed project file - but NOT the template settings.
Fonts? No - if transferring the project to a different PC, fonts other than system fonts would need to be installed on the other PC

So - the short answer is NO. You are correct!

Cheers - Tony

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil & EXR,

Tony already covered it perfectly. So just reiterate Tony’s spot on counsel, and perhaps give a little added credit where it’s due...

I think it was JL_JL who first made me (and the membership here), aware of the fact that Packing a project, only makes copies of the master video, audio, and mage files that have been placed in one’s timelines, as well as the currently saved set of editing editing commands.

So, if you should happen to say pack a project, and say perhaps send this packet project to a fellow PD user (or another computer). Then when the friend opens it in his system (which may not have all the same custom fonts installed that you’ve used), then text on your friends end, will probably display as the standard Arial font on his timelines (and probably at a different position on his screen).
Same goes for any custom (created or downloaded) templates, effects, particles, etc, that you used in your project.
If all the same “custom stuff” is not on your friends rig, then that stuff will not appear in the friend’s timelines.

That’s why it is suggested that a sub folder be created in the Packed Project Folder, which contains all the “custom stuff” in your project which may not be installed on the friend’s rig.

Thus, from the sub folder, the recipient can install this “custom stuff” the on his computer, before attempting to load your project (via the packed project folder that you sent him).
Now, with all same custom elements installed on his rig as yours, your project should be perfectly replicated in his in his PD timelines.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 05:25

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Neil and Cranston, thank you very much for your wonderful enlightenment. You all are great people.

Tony - Thank you very much for your guidance too. I have some more questions. Along the way during the production, I used some default stuffs inside the effect room, PiP object room, transition room to create the video. When i pack the Project Materials and open from the new PC, will the project be perfectly replicated on the new PC? Or it will be displayed at a different position?

Also, i'm not using any "custom" font during the production. All the fonts i used are from my old PC. My fear is that it will be what Cranston had described, "Then when the friend opens it in his system (which may not have all the same custom fonts installed that you’ve used), then text on your friends end, will probably display as the standard Arial font on his timelines."

Finally, when i go to File > Export > Pack Project Materials, a "browse for folder" pop up where the default folder is "10.0." This mean that this "10.0" folder will contain (a) my project file (.pds) & (b) a copy of all the media in my timeline. And i will have to transfer this "10.0" folder to my new PC. Am i correct Tony?

Cheers - Tony
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
On the Pack Project Materials folder.

Powerdirector can create a new folder to pack the material into. There is a quirk in the code, in that when you create the new folder, PD does not use the name you gave it. (It will use "New Folder")

The work around to that is to exit pack project after you have created the new folder. Or to create the folder in Windows first.

Now I can get PD to use the new folder, but you have to select a different folder, then select the new folder before you click OK.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 10:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi EXR -

Your appreciation is appreciated.

If you've only used default stuff from PD - i.e. stock standard supplied effects with no customisations - your project will be perfectly replicated.

With fonts, if you have only used standard system fonts all wil be well. If, in your project, you've used a "custom" font you've installed on your old PC, all you need to do is copy that font to your new PC. Your new PC will not necessarily have the same basic system fonts installed.

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts (on your old PC) - copy the fonts you've used into a folder - then transfer them to your new PC. Double click to install.

Have no fear, if anything goes wrong you've always got forum members to call upon.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2012 17:44

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony and CP Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

EXR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony, got it. Understand now. You are great Tony.

Your appreciation is appreciated.

If you've only used default stuff from PD - i.e. stock standard supplied effects with no customisations - your project will be perfectly replicated.

With fonts, if you have only used standard system fonts all wil be well. If, in your project, you've used a "custom" font you've installed on your old PC, all you need to do is copy that font to your new PC. Your new PC will not necessarily have the same basic system fonts installed.

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts (on your old PC) - copy the fonts you've used into a folder - then transfer them to your new PC. Double click to install.

Have no fear, if anything goes wrong you've always got forum members to call upon.

Cheers - Tony