Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to capture from analog camcorder using DV camcorder pass-through
Russ747 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2012 23:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
My goal:
Capture analog VHS-C tapes using a DV camcorder with pass-through capability to convert the analog signal to a digital signal.

My set-up:
Analog source tape in analog camcorder, wired output to the input jack of the DV camcorder.
DV camcorder settings changed to accept input from external source (pass-through enabled).
No DV tape in the DV camcorder.
Firewire connection from DV camcorder to computer.
PowerDirector 10 Ultra build 10.0.0.1129b on a Windows 7 computer.

My experience:
The analog signal is successfully sent from the analog camcorder, through the DV camcorder, and to the computer.
I can see and hear the source within the PD10 Capture window.
When attempting to capture, PD10 generates the error "The DV tape is either missing or write-protected. Insert a tape or make the tape writable."
If I insert a tape then PD 10 captures from the DV tape and not what is being passed-through from the analog camcorder.

My attempts at resolution:
I contacted CyberLink tech support and was told that "capturing from two camcorder is not supported in PowerDirector 10 software. PowerDirector 10 software only support capturing directly via input device."

My complaint:
The signal is getting to PD10 without problem. PD10 should not need a tape in the DV camcorder.

My questions:
Has anyone found a workaround to this problem within PD10?
Has anyone found a workaround to this problem using other video capture freeware or inexpensive shareware?
(Windows Live MovieMaker has the same problem.)

Thank you!

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I use Windows Movie Maker, PD will use the files no problem.
As far as the missing tape goes, for PD you might want to place a tape in the device, but don't close the door.
It's been a while, so I forget exactly.
Maybe it's time for a toot.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Russ747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found a workaround!

Capture the video using the pass-through technique and set-up described in my original post, but use Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Follow the directions here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-your-old-video-into-digital-memories-using-Windows-Live-Movie-Maker

The most important thing is to select 'Choose parts of the video to import' instead of choosing to 'Import the entire video.'

The software still detects that no DV tape is in the DV camcorder, but it allows you to capture the tape anyway!
[Post New]
Wow, nice link. I do a fair amount of old vcr tape conversions. I have tried just about every method, but this one. So far the best method that I have used is using a kiwi brand device and PD8 (pd10 won't work for me) to import, but I often get a "copywrite protection error" even though they are just family recordings. I will try this method to see if I can avoid that frustration. Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
[Post New]
Just got done playing around with this "pass thru" method of importing old vhs video tapes via dv camera into your computer. Works great! So far this has been the most painless method for me. No copywirte protection errors either!

Only minor issue is that it imports the files as AVI and automatically stores them into your "my video directory file". I haven't found a way of changing these setting, but its not a big deal.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 05. 2012 15:27

Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just think of the fact that your camera AV to DV converter is a 3 or 4 hundred dollar converter, a high-tech piece of hardware, and a dongle is just a dongle.
A question, tho...do you get a tiny bit of scrabbled video at the very bottom of your capture? I do. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Russ747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
@ro22tol:

You can change the directory where the captured file is saved. With Windows Live Photo Gallery 2011, on the 'Import video' window where you name the file, there is a link to 'More options.' Click this link and you can change the directory and a few other options.

@BarryTheCrab:
I haven't noticed the scrambled video at the bottom of the capture.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I must have a tape head out of line. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)