Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CPU and RAM Usage during 3D renders
[Post New]
Can anyone test the following:

Place a single 3D HD MVC file on the timeline, at least 15 minutes long, then set Produce to make an AVC 3D HD file.

Before starting the render, open Windows task manager and select performance to monitor what happens during the render process.

For me, everything starts well, all 8 threads at 100% and about 30% RAM is used, but slowly, the Cached RAM usage rises, the available RAM drops and the overall Physical memory usage rises to about 96%, at which point the CPU's activity drops to around 30% and a little of the RAM becomes available again, and back up goes the CPU.

This continues, as the overall processing slows down, projected completion gets longer and longer. Eventually, the RAM usage hits 99%, leaving no resource for anything and Windows processes freeze and the file Production fails at that point.

If you leave everything alone, the system recovers, but the file is truncated at the freeze up point, so not the full length.

It appears that PD10 is simply mauling the system without any limiting and depriving evrything else of resources - could this be related to the phantom file failures and vision freezes that are being reported?

if I do the same with 2D sources or even just a 2D destination AVC file, CPU usage drops to 70% and RAM usage never rises above 20% - all good.

Soooo, is the 3D renderer uncapped, and able to kill the system?

Anyone able to test this at all?

Paul

i7 920 300GB Samsung system drive, GTX285 6GB RAM - no other software -

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2012 03:01

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paul,

MVC = Multiview Video Coding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiview_Video_Coding
A forum member recently uploaded a 67mb video file: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21865.page
Using this file in Edit, I replicated it fully x42 and the 43rd was reduced to fit the 15 minutes.

Checking SVRT for the 3D file I note the SVRT and Hardware Video Encoder options are unavailable.

My first test is being carried out on a dual core quad, 8gb ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250.
C (OS) drive has some 600+GB of spare space.
J (USB external raid) drive has some 600+GB of spare space.

I had open 5 browser windows, a screen capture program and the Task Manager (TM). I used the screen capture program to take snapshots of the TM and the Produce interface during the render stage.

In Produce I selected to render to a full side by side 1920 x 1080 (3840 x 1080), 3D, in AVCHD 60i/m2ts.

TM showed CPU max at 100% and Ram at 3.29/3.27GB there were small dips in CPU usage when I too snapshots. In general the CPU processed the video file at a constant 100%.

At no time did the system dither, wither or give up.

I attach the Media Info of the 4.33 GB, 15 minutes long m2ts file for your examination.

I will if I have time repeat the exercise on an i7.

Dafydd
 Filename
Sony_TD10_15min_ProducedTest.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Sony_TD10_15min_ProducedTest
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
440 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2012 09:37

[Post New]
I think I'm slowly getting to the bottom of this -

It's only if you use

1) an avi MVC file as your source

2) and try to produce or author to a 3D BD MVC avc file.

Any other side by side file type, puts less strain on the system.

PD10 does not have the ability to produce an avi MVC file, so I guess the current version doesn't actually support
MVC avi files by default.

I can import them in various codecs which are on my system, and PD10 plays them fine, but it has a problem producing
an avc MVC file for use on a 3D BD disc from these avi's.

I imagine it simply hasn't been tested, as MVC is relatively new, and PD10 does not implicitly handle MVC avi.

I can arrive at my 3D BD successfully, but I would prefer to feed the Authoring stage with uncompressed or high quality compressed master files, not only mp4 and avchd which are pretty lossy.

Well, you can't expect to much from such a cheap piece of consumer software, but a few tweeks would make it pretty good.

Paul

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2012 12:01

kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
It it's any help I also downloaded the Sony 3D clip and inserted it into PD10. It did not initially recognize it as 3D, however I selected 3D format and clicked on Auto Detect and immediately was detected as MVC !

I created a 15.01 minute version and selected AVC in Produce. No hardware acceleration was available.

Once started, the ram usage rose to about 3.13 Gbytes and CPU and Hyper-threading was between 95 and 99% all the time.

At no time was there any hesitation or slowdown, the production took 30.44 minutes and was 2.57 Gbytes in size.

Only difference is that I produced a PAL video at 1920 X 1080 50i, which may account for some subtle differences,

I suppose I could produce an NTSC if wanted.

The video played perfectly in PowerDVD 11. and PowerDVD 12. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you kingsmeadow for carrying out the test. Please could you attach MediaInfo data. The file size difference is significant... you've got a better compression rate than I did

MediaInfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Dafydd
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you kingsmeadow for carrying out the test. Please could you attach MediaInfo data. The file size difference is significant... you've got a better compression rate than I did

Dafydd

sure thing here it is,,interestingly I have video #1 and video #2 !
 Filename
mediainfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ahhhh... Hi Kingsmeadow,
I have found the difference. You produced to a 2D file whereas I did the 3D part of the test

My curiosity is now satisfied

Thank you

Dafydd
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Ahhhh... Hi Kingsmeadow,
I have found the difference. You produced to a 2D file whereas I did the 3D part of the test

My curiosity is now satisfied

Thank you

Dafydd

Your curiosity is satisfied but now I am totally confused !! as I have a perfectly viewable 3D video clip ! and I thought I had produced a 3D AVC video !!! where have a gone wrong Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
[Post New]
As per my original notes, try and produce an MVC AVC file for 3D BD - this is where the problem is appearing, producing any type of 2D or non MVC file is easy - PD10 does all this fine - you keep testing something which is not an issue.

Start with an MVC AVI file - if you don't have one, I'll post you a DVD with an uncompressed MVC .avi to try, then Produce an avc MVC 3D file - your system will die a death.

Thanks

Paul
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kingsmeadow,
Ok, you probably did the half frame side by side 1920x1080 whereas I did a full frame side by side 3840x1080.

Hi Paul,
If I recall correctly the 3D MVC avi you're offering has been created by a third party software and is not directly from a camera source which created the original 3D video. Is that correct?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2012 06:12

kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: As per my original notes, try and produce an MVC AVC file for 3D BD - this is where the problem is appearing, producing any type of 2D or non MVC file is easy - PD10 does all this fine - you keep testing something which is not an issue.

Start with an MVC AVI file - if you don't have one, I'll post you a DVD with an uncompressed MVC .avi to try, then Produce an avc MVC 3D file - your system will die a death.

Thanks

Paul

I would be very willing to try,,Could you simply upload a 4 min clip of the video ? Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
[Post New]
Absolutely,

Any industry standard MVC avi which is uncompressed should be accepted by PD10 - because it says so in the advertising information -

also any MVC avi which is compressed by any codec on your system should be acceptable to PD10 as well.

Obviously this is not the case, hardly surprising.

My point here, is that I'm trying to find a way into the 3D BD authoring process with the best possible quality, but despite the claims made by PD10 that it accepts avi MVC files - it does not.

An uncompressed file is too large to ship via the web, thanks for the offer, but I'm probably alone with this one!

Paul
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Absolutely,

Any industry standard MVC avi which is uncompressed should be accepted by PD10 - because it says so in the advertising information -

also any MVC avi which is compressed by any codec on your system should be acceptable to PD10 as well.

Obviously this is not the case, hardly surprising.

My point here, is that I'm trying to find a way into the 3D BD authoring process with the best possible quality, but despite the claims made by PD10 that it accepts avi MVC files - it does not.

An uncompressed file is too large to ship via the web, thanks for the offer, but I'm probably alone with this one!

Paul

I think I may be a bit confused, I'll try to clarify what I have done so it might help, and point out what I haven't done.

I have burned possibly as many as 50 3D videos. I produce them as either mpeg4 or avc, and as it's only for fun, I don't really care. I then move to the create section and select 3D BluRay and burn my produced video to a 3D-BD folder or disc. And I have never had a slow down or hitch in any way. Now maybe I'm missing something, but am I not burning an MVC coded video ? The last video clip I did was the one that I just download and everything suggests that it is indeed an MVC encoded 3D video clip. As I reported earlier it all worked. I am at this very moment burning that clip in BluRay 3D-BD, and it has 6 minutes to go from a start of 22, so shortly it will finish.

The video finished without a hint of slowdown or anything to suggest a problem. I am going to try and find an MVC encoded avi file to experiment with.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2012 06:46

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
[Post New]
Hi Kingsmeadow,

Your dead right, all this works very well, I have great success with this too.

As Dafydd points out, I'm trying to bring files in from other, 3rd party software - such as After Effects, without unfortunately, much success, so really I'm pushing PD10 to do things it probably can't at this stage.

Thanks for all your input !

I'll struggle onwards

Paul
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kingsmeadow,

Your dead right, all this works very well, I have great success with this too.

As Dafydd points out, I'm trying to bring files in from other, 3rd party software - such as After Effects, without unfortunately, much success, so really I'm pushing PD10 to do things it probably can't at this stage.

Thanks for all your input !

I'll struggle onwards

Paul

Thanks for the confirmation, as I was beginning to think I had missed the boat completely,. Now I understand.

I am really curious,,, as an engineer I have been in research most of my life, and I see this as a another project to be solved, so on we go.... Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Paul,
I wonder if you could use MediaInfo and provide the information on the MVC avi you're editing. I think the info would be quite useful.

many thanks
Dafydd
[Post New]
Here's the report on an uncompressed 1280x720 MVC. I'll send a couple more of a different flavour later.

Paul
 Filename
uncompressed MVC.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Paul,

The bitrate is massive, huge, I doubt the PC I used (for the Sony MVC) would cope with that footage.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Paul,
I asked CyberLink support to look into the method you've used with the MVC file.

the reply:
We are not able to reproduce the issue.

Repro:
1. install PDR 10 1129b ultra
2. install After Effect trial 10.5.1.2
3. import windows sample video clip into AE
4. produce as a .avi file
5. import produced .avi file into PDR
6. create as AVCHD disc/HD 1920x1080/60i/SBS folder

Result:
PDR can produce successfully without crash

If that's the method you used please confirm. Members may be able to replicate the above results.

Dafydd
[Post New]
I'm finally seeing some continuity in results!

This applies ONLY if you are making 3D AVCHD BD using externally created 3D MVC avi files, but may be a good rule of thumb if you are experiencing freezes in your rendered streams, or failed burn cycles.

1) Make sure you clean out all tempory files before you try to burn anything.

2) Make sure "shadow copies" is turned off for HD material in settings, if you are working with HD footage.

3) Make sure any source material which is MVC avi has a total data rate of less than 120mbs for any 50P content.

4) Make sure any source material which is MVC avi has a total data rate of less than 180mbs for 50i content.

5) Author your 3DBD folder first, check the streams are good after creation and then copy to BDR.

6) I suggest trying to create intermediate mp4 files from you edit material in Produce, and use these to create your disc, as mp4 is less demanding than AVCHD, this may help in certain cases.

7) I obtain the most reliable processing with the source files on one drive, and the output files created onto a seperate drive - despite other opinions, neither of the media drives I use are my system C drive - I follow fundamental NLE guidlines which suggest that the system drive is best for system files only, whilst huge media files are best kept on dedicated, seperate, fast drives, with Indexing turned off.

Finaly, disable or remove any Anti Virus software you may have running on your system, it can cause fatal errors with file interrogation during processing.

It is preferable to have no internet connection on Editing Systems.

I'm now succeeding in creating 60 minute BDR streams without errors, from externally sourced high data rate MVC avi's using a variety of codecs - and very good they look too.

Paul

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2012 16:15