Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to get the best quality and clarity DVD.
steve-0 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2012 14:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have been trying to find a step by step process for creating a high quality disk. PowerDirector 10 has so many features for producing and creating a disk (format and quality), but I'm not sure which items I should select to create the best possible video quality. I have attempted to try many of the options, but have not been completely satisfied with my results. When I hook up the camera directly to my TV, I love the clarity and quality. But I can't duplicate that quality to a dvd for playback.

So my question is, what steps are taken by experienced users to create a great quality DVD? Do you produce it first? Which format is best? Do you create an avchd disk or regular disk (I have attempted to AVCHD but they won't play in my DVD player). Considering I have a well running machine, how you would create the best quality dvd?

Which is best quality to produce?
MPEG-2 (DVD-HQ, (HDV) MPEG-2, 720p, BD 1920x 1080)
MPEG-4 (Best Quality MPEG-4)
AVCHD (1920x1080 /60i (24Mbps), 1920x1080 /60p (28Mbps))
.MOV (QuickTime Full HD Quality)

PS. Newbie here so be nice.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2012 15:25

[Post New]
If you use PD 10 to burn movies the quality of the burned DVD movie is sub standard .
Because PD 10 diverts back to .AVI when you click on create disk this is most likely your problem is as it was mine also.
Haven tried this after the patch it may be fixed , if not that is your problem.
You can set up the burn how ever you like MPEG – 4 or what ever the burn disk is not DVD it is of very poor quality and is much smaller in size than a DVD movie.

You can try this your self and see the difference produce movie like you always do with PD 10 save it .
Now start Nero burn software and import movie file directly to Nero and burn.

The difference is night and day if you look at the burned area on DVD you can see the Nero burn used up about 2 times the amount of DVD than PD 10 uses but the real difference is in viewing finished movie , try it your self and see.

Rest of PD 10 is great.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You can set up the burn how ever you like MPEG – 4 or what ever the burn disk is not DVD it is of very poor quality and is much smaller in size than a DVD movie.

I'm not even sure what this means exactly. Could you clarify? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
What kind of camcorder are you using? What profile does the camcorder shoot in? Are you using a Bluray player to watch the DVD on your TV? If you can supply some more information, then I think some of the members can give you some good advise. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been trying to find a step by step process for creating a high quality disk. PowerDirector 10 has so many features for producing and creating a disk (format and quality), but I'm not sure which items I should select to create the best possible video quality. I have attempted to try many of the options, but have not been completely satisfied with my results. When I hook up the camera directly to my TV, I love the clarity and quality. But I can't duplicate that quality to a dvd for playback.

So my question is, what steps are taken by experienced users to create a great quality DVD? Do you produce it first? Which format is best? Do you create an avchd disk or regular disk (I have attempted to AVCHD but they won't play in my DVD player). Considering I have a well running machine, how you would create the best quality dvd?

Which is best quality to produce?
MPEG-2 (DVD-HQ, (HDV) MPEG-2, 720p, BD 1920x 1080)
MPEG-4 (Best Quality MPEG-4)
AVCHD (1920x1080 /60i (24Mbps), 1920x1080 /60p (28Mbps))
.MOV (QuickTime Full HD Quality)

PS. Newbie here so be nice.

Even though you can burn AVCHD on a standard DVD, you have to have a Bluray player, to play it on your TV.

You also have to have a Bluray burner (on your PC) to burn a real BD-R disc. And a Bluray player to play it.

As long as your footage was shot is HD, and you develped and produced a HD project in PD, then either result from above will look great on a HD-TV.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2012 09:30

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
steve-0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
What kind of camcorder are you using? What profile does the camcorder shoot in? Are you using a Bluray player to watch the DVD on your TV? If you can supply some more information, then I think some of the members can give you some good advise.

I just bought a GoPro camera. It records in MP4. I watch in on a bluray player (Magnavox MBP5210/F7 Wi-Fi Blu-ray). I have shot 720p and 1080p. From what I got from abslayer... it is better to burn it through nero after it is produced?

KentuckyRandy, Do I need to create a AVCHD DVD for the best quality?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2012 09:53

KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
What kind of camcorder are you using? What profile does the camcorder shoot in? Are you using a Bluray player to watch the DVD on your TV? If you can supply some more information, then I think some of the members can give you some good advise.

I just bought a GoPro camera. It records in MP4. I watch in on a bluray player (Magnavox MBP5210/F7 Wi-Fi Blu-ray). I have shot 720p and 1080p. From what I got from abslayer... it is better to burn it through nero after it is produced?

KentuckyRandy, Do I need to create a AVCHD DVD for the best quality?

Many people use a free burning program called imgburn. That will give you the best compatibility with most bluray players. Search for it in google. AVCHD should give you a nice looking result. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
steve-0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many people use a free burning program called imgburn.

If I have a MP4 produced from powerdirector and use imgburn, it will just put the mp4 on the dvd. It won't play on my dvd player. Do I need to convert it so it can play in a dvd player?

steve-0 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As long as your footage was shot is HD

It was shot with 720p and 1080p.

and you develped and produced a HD project in PD, then either result from above will look great on a HD-TV.

Maybe that is another question. What format should I use to produce the best HD? It sounds like AVCHD. but what if I want to play they best clarity without having a bluray player?