Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need to save video as MPG, MP4, MOV or AVI
Milesnana [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2010 22:20 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Forgive me if this has already been covered and I just can't find it.

I am trying to save a small, selected and copied portion of my video and put it on a card to be played in a digital frame. The instruction book said these are the formats (in subject line) that will work. I can't seem to get my PowerDirector videos to do anything other than pds. Am I going to have to take this off of my original, unedited dvd that has not gone through the PowerDirector program? Is that it?

I'm a grandma trying to learn all this technostuff so please forgive my simple question.

Thank you.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, but the .pds file is just a set of instructions. You need to PRODUCE your project, once in produce mode you can select the required output format.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Milesnana [Avatar]
[Post New]
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to edit and use it to burn onto a dvd, I suggest producing it in mpg-2 format. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Milesnana [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. I was wondering about that too.. you read my mind. One more question. If I don't produce at all (which I have done many times) and go straight from editing to burning, is that bad? Is producing absolutely necessary?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks. I was wondering about that too.. you read my mind. One more question. If I don't produce at all (which I have done many times) and go straight from editing to burning, is that bad? Is producing absolutely necessary?

It is not necessary to produce before Create Disk. The only reason to Produce is if you want a video to play on your computer.

However, sometimes you need (in a complicated video) to produce before burning, If you do, you bring that produced video to the time line and then create disk.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Milesnana [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl. But, because the state of confusion is how I typically roll , this brings another question. "Bring it to the time line." Mmmmmm.........

I captured my video and it appears on the time line. I edit and make it all pretty then I produce it as a mpeg2 as recommended. Then, if I'm reading you correctly, I 'bring it to the time line.' How do I bring it? If I save it at this point, is it not saved as a mpeg2?

I just copied a very short part of one of my videos and pasted it into a new file. Produced it as a mpeg2 and saved it. I noticed that it saved as a psd (pds?) file rather than a mpeg. I forwarded this video to a friend by email but was told that she could not open it. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, Carl. But, because the state of confusion is how I typically roll , this brings another question. "Bring it to the time line." Mmmmmm.........

I captured my video and it appears on the time line. I edit and make it all pretty then I produce it as a mpeg2 as recommended. Then, if I'm reading you correctly, I 'bring it to the time line.' How do I bring it? If I save it at this point, is it not saved as a mpeg2?

I just copied a very short part of one of my videos and pasted it into a new file. Produced it as a mpeg2 and saved it. I noticed that it saved as a psd (pds?) file rather than a mpeg. I forwarded this video to a friend by email but was told that she could not open it. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

To send a video by email (may be too big) you must produce the video to a MPEG2 or WMV, the PDS is a file of instructions to Powerdirector only. It is not the video. If you want just a part of your video, you remove the parts you do not want to send, then produce the video. WMV is the best compression and makes the smallest files.

Sorry for the short hand information about the value of producing a video to burn to disk.

If you have a video that has a lot of transitions or titles or other videos on tracks below the main track, It is sometimes beneficial to produce that video to a File. Especially if it takes your computer a long time to create a disk.

Produce the Video.

Start a new project.

Put the produced video on timeline, then add the chapters if needed and subtitles if needed.

Then create a Disk.

That produced video takes a lot less computer power to create a disk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 13:48

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
[Post New]
I am not sure that I am clear on how Powerdirector works.

Powerdirector is a NLE Video editor.

It saves a set of instructions on all of your edits in a file with a PDS extension. (This is NOT the video).

To make a video with all of your edits, you click on PRODUCE at the top of the edit window,
In produce you have a choice of many video formats, and resolutions.

When you Produce a video, the completed video is saved in the export folder as defined in your Preferences. Or you can browse to the location you want to save the video and give it your own file name.

"Saving" is not creating a video, it is only saving all of the edits you did, (You will need that saved PDS if you want more editing).

Milesnana [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, lordy. I have burned probably 100 videos simply by editing (adding titles, comments, music, etc but no chapters - I don't mess with chapters but, rather, split where it seems to change directions and put in a transition) and then burning through the 'create disk' menu. Never produced. All my videos were made to be viewed on a computer or dvd player. They seem to work that way although I have had a person here and there tell me that their copy would not play. When I save my project and give it a name, I have always thought that was my video. So, from what I think I understand, I need to produce it then bring it back to the timeline, edit and save. Right?

I want to thank you for being so kind because some I have read on here are a bit testy. But, I notice you are from Texas so I would expect such kindness from a southerner

Thanks from South Carolina.
beckypayne [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New York Joined: Mar 25, 2015 23:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
You can convert videos to mp4 with the help of Video Converter software. You can also use it to burn videos to DVD disc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2015 02:55