Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
WebCam lag time
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I have YouCam3 preinstalled in my HP i7 processor laptop.
There is a noticable lag between 'my' movement and the on-screen picture. Is this 'normal' and/or is it corrected in later YouCam software.

Also you do not get a 'mirror image' so moving to one's right is shown on the screen as a 'movement to the left' when looking at it ... very confusing.

Would appreciate advise ... I do not need the 'extras' in YouCam 5 but would like to solve this problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2011 11:34

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Evandre [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2011 08:47 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Having the exact problem with my ne HP i5 laptop. Webcam is laggy, youcam always pops up when I answer or initiate a video call. And when I have it in a lower resolution, it looks like my image is in a frame with a million little square boxes. I hate this!
Tyomni [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 12, 2011 12:31 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
You both need to change settings.
Go to YouCam->options->capture increase the video size.
->display there is "Mirror image" checkbox check/uncheck it.
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You both need to change settings.
Go to YouCam->options->capture increase the video size.
->display there is "Mirror image" checkbox check/uncheck it.

Thanks for your help ... mirror image so much easier!
Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
RonH
[Post New]
Some months have passed and I now have the latest YouCam 5 installed but the 'lag' that I referred to above has not improved?
I have the settings at 640x480 ... if I set at 1280x720 then I loose the mirror ability?

My pc is well equipped with i7 processor etc.
Any ideas please or is this as good as it gets? CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Ron,

Is the lag there when you open the webcam in another program, i.e. outside of YouCam? For example, in Windows Live Messenger, go to the Set Up Audio and Video devices. On the Webcam page, change the driver by selecting the webcam, not CyberLink Webcam Splitter. See if the webcam image still lags in the preview window when selected. Try opening the webcam in another third party program as well.

I ask this, because it could be the webcam driver/firmware that needs updating. Also maybe go to the HP notebook forum and see if there are suggested solutions and drivers. Maybe this is a known issue with some HP webcams? Trying to cover all bases here. I am using a really old (2004 or 2005) USB webcam and I don't have any lag in YouCam 5. So I don't know.

The mirror image is always available for every resolution. Actually, the easiest way to change the view is to just click on the webcam image and then drag your mouse left or right.

Regards,
David
RonH
[Post New]
Hei David & thanks for helping me out.
I had a good search around and came across this HP Forum thread ... seems to be a solution for me.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Slow-FPS-for-HP-TrueVision-HD-Webcam/td-p/779747

I checked the webcam driver which is current but since the webcam I refer to is the small laptop lid one I guess that it is not a high spec so will limit the quality I can get out of it. I have changed the resolution to 1280 x 720 so it is a bit more acceptable.

Thanks again ... I hope that the HP link will be of assistance to others.

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)