Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
FIXED: Pixelated, choppy, or distorted new Blu-ray titles by 20th Century FOX with PowerDVD 10 & 11
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Pixelated, choppy, or distorted when playing back new Blu-ray titles by 20th Century FOX with CyberLink PowerDVD 10 and PowerDVD 11. How to fix it?

Issue:
When playing back some of 20th Century FOX newly released Blu-ray titles, movie may be pixelated, choppy or distorted.

So far, known titles include:
- Star Wars (2011)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)

Cause:
This is because new Blu-ray titles by 20th Century FOX have a conflict with Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit security update KB2567680.

Workaround:
Follow the below steps to uninstall the Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2567680).
1. Click Start > Control Panel
2. Click Uninstall a program under Programs
3. Click View installed updates on right panel
4. Right click Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2567680)
5. Click Uninstall an update
6. Click Yes to confirm uninstalling
7. Click Restart Now to reboot your computer after uninstalling

Disclaimer
Uninstall security update for Microsoft Windows (KB2567680) could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. For more detail about this security update, please consult with Microsoft.

Comment:
We plan to release a patch for this issue to workaround the FOX title issues soon.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2011 11:21

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
JOSHUA E [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 12:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I do not have this Windows Security Update and I still get the pixelation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2011 16:46

SamC [Avatar]
Newbie Location: USA Joined: May 02, 2011 16:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same here.
Jose Alfredo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2010 04:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all I'm expiriencing the pixel problem but also my CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2010 register the BD of Star Wars as malware I already changed the boxed set on the store once still get the same message also with the original set i got to see the first movie but with the pixel problem saw part of second after that it stays in loading and in 91% load my PDVD 10 gets none responsive the loading stays in 99% I had issues with Avatar but all it got wax an update, I hope this helps don't know about the malware thing from my anti-virus, oh and the work around did not worked nothing still getting stuck at 99% although I can see the last 3 disk perfectly well gn.
MEKohlman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2011 22:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
OK,

Removing KB2567680 has improved the issue but has NOT completely fixed it. I'm still seeing Audio Drop-Outs and occasional brief Audio/Video Freezes with the my Star Wars Blu Ray set. NO other Blu Rays I have have this problem on my HTTPC.

I know that FOX is at the root of this problem but I spent several hours today trying to get this to work smoothly and it is hugely frustrating.

Long-term having an upatched Win7 x64 system is also not cool.
Rubo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2011 15:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Although I installed the last patch for powerdvd 11, the trouble is still there.
I don't know how to do in order to watch the films, the only solution will be buying a standalone player

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2011 15:51

DougH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 03, 2011 13:59 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Workaround works for me. I'm not too worried about my living room HTPC's exposure to authenticated local attackers as neither of my cats have decent hacking skills.

...except I guess when spitting up hairballs.

I'm just waiting patiently but expectantly for the patch...
Rushthezeppelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2011 20:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to say this worked wonders for me with Star Wars ep IV. Not only did it fix the artifacting it also fixed a few other things that I noticed and thought were just bad restoration on the part of Lucasfilm. It fixed the lighting being over-saturated in the rebel blockade runner in the opening scene. It fixed alot of out of place red hue in darker scenes. It also fixed really bad skin tones (especially the lightsaber battle between Obi Wan and Darth on the deathstar....Obi Wan looked like he was running a fever >< ). Seems to have made the green screen windows on the Falcon stand out less.

Did not however fix the core 0 maxing out issue but really that's a non-issue with me as I have a hex core proc and more than adequate cooling to handle all cores being maxed for days on end (I built my system around being able to OC for games/3d rendering but put it at stock otherwise). I am still slightly worried about having to disable a security update but not too worried....just hope you guys get this patched soon so that I can re-instal it.

Thanks again for helping fix this issue.....now I can actually enjoy SW in all its 1080p glory.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2011 22:30

Rushthezeppelin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2011 20:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Got to watch it trying to re install itself though. I had problems again last night...looked in updates again and sure enough it put itself back on. Anyone know how to at least temporarily disable the re install of this update?
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Got to watch it trying to re install itself though. I had problems again last night...looked in updates again and sure enough it put itself back on. Anyone know how to at least temporarily disable the re install of this update?

Set security to notify you of patches, not to auto-install. On each patch you can right-click and select do not notify me about this patch again. I blocked MSoft re-installing this way today.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

the issue has been fixed with today's patch:

PowerDVD 11 Patch release

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
tHE uKER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2011 21:14 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
The update is listed there but there's no download link.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 13. 2011 19:29

Tostito80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 18:56 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Downloading ... thanks!

Edit: this appears to have done the trick. Thanks for your hard work!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 00:52

Rubo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2011 15:42 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Downloading thanks, I'll try with the Star Wars set tomorrow
MEKohlman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2011 22:55 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I just played back Empire Strikes Back with the Patch installed on a fully updated version of Win7 x64 (including the KB2567680 update) and playback is very good, no problems now.

Thanks CyberLink for working on this and geting a fix out there!

Michael

SYSTEM TECHNICAL INFO:

Zotac Zbox AD03, 4GB RAM
Windows 7 x64 SP1, all patches and updates current as of 10/15/2011
AMD Catalyst Drivers ver 11.9
PowerDVD 11 Ultimate

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2011 19:14

Megalun8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2011 20:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Cyberlink for patch but still high core0 usage and high X58 Northbridge temps when playing Star Ways BR. Hope this helps and patch soon for Core0 issues.
chris247 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2011 02:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still having the pixelated issue even after completely un/reinstalling PowerDVD. I also removed Microsoft patch KB2567680 and the issue is still present.

Here are my specs:

PowerDVD 11.0.2211.53
Dell XPS420
4GB RAM
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Blu-ray Drive: ASUS BW-12B1ST
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Is anyone else still experiencing problems after having applied the patch?

Thanks,
Cyberwulf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2011 20:35 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still having the pixelation problems too.

Noteably with Season 2 of the sci fi series 'Fringe' on blu ray. This is not even a Fox product. Warner Brothers published it.

My system specs are as follows:-

Core i7 980X CPU @ stock speed
3x GTX580 in 3-way SLI
24GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866mhz
1200w PSU
LG Super Multi Blue player
27" Acer 3D vision monitor @ 120hz via DVI-D cable
Auzentech Home Theatre HD sound card
Logitech Z5500 5.1 surround sound speakers via optical cable
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
[Post New]
Hello,

if you think you still have this issue on your platform, please post more information:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16915.page

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Cyberwulf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2011 20:35 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

if you think you still have this issue on your platform, please post more information:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16915.page

BR
Michael

I have tried the quick fix - deleting the windows security update file you stated in an earlier post. That did not fix the problem.

I am using a single 27" Acer 3D vision monitor connected via DVI-D Dual link cable. I get pixilation every few seconds while watching the sci fi show named 'Fringe' (season 2) on blu ray.

I'm using Power DVD 11 ultra upgraded from Power DVD 10 3D mark II and i have installed the latest patch for PowerDVD 11 ultra build 2211

I have attached my dxdiag information for you in this post.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
560 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 14:47