Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't seem to enable Intel Quick Sync to speed up video effect preview/render
Kendalf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 08, 2011 00:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I recently installed the full PD 9 Ultra 64, updated with the latest patch (2930). It's running on an Intel Z68 motherboard (by Asrock) with an Intel 2500K CPU. My whole purpose in purchasing PD 9 is because of its support for Intel Quick Sync, so I'm wondering why in the Preferences Menu under "Hardware Acceleration" the checkbox for "Enable NVIDIA CUDA/AMD.../Intel Quick Sync Video technology to speed up video effect preview/render" is greyed out, and I can only select "Enable hardware decoding." Does this mean that it is already active by default? I haven't actually tried editing or rendering any clips yet to see if any acceleration is apparent; wanted to try to figure this out first before doing so.

Any other Sandy Bridge users out there who can share your experience with this?
Kendalf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 08, 2011 00:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sure I'm not the only one with a Sandy Bridge CPU. Can someone comment on this?

Note that MediaEspresso detects and utilizes Quick Sync just fine on this computer!
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I've never used that option. I've just edited my videos and clicked produce. It hasn't ever taken any extra long time to produce for me but my size limit has generally been videos under 10 minutes. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
A search for sandy bridge would have given you these results.... seems like I recall no one being able to use the sandy bridge stuff... like crossfire...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&search_keywords=sandy+bridge&match_type=all&search_forum=&sort_by=relevance __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
SteveB123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2011 04:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've got exactly the same issue with a similar setup.
My original software install made no mention of Quick Sync at all until I installed the latest update, then the acceleration check box started mentioning it but remained greyed-out.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 and processor Intel 2500K so we have the same chipset and processor.
Rendering works fairly quick but I suspect that the Quicksync is not actually operational by default. (I'm not really sure what speed to expect)
I've raised a support ticket - If you have not solved this issue then I suggest that you do the same to add weight to the request.
Cyberlink are heavily promoting the Quick Sync support on their web site. I chose Powerdirector specifically for this reason, so do I expect it to work!

- Steve
srweal [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2011 06:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've got the same issue too. Have an Intel 2500K chip on Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H motherboard and loaded up PowerDirector9 with the latest upgrade from the support page.

"Enable Intel Quick Sync" option is greyed out. No idea why. Would love some furhter advice/tip about how to get this running, as I'd like all encoding and video work to utilise all the resources it can.

Are there any BIOS or Windows settings that might be disabling this?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Can't help with the issue directly but came across this review dated back in March, At that time :
"Currently Intel’s Quick Sync transcode is only supported by two applications: Cyberlink’s Media Espresso 6 and Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7"

I know PD9's blurb now says it's optimised for 2nd gen Intels but.... ??

Anyway, the rest of the article is also worth a read (particularly for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 users) as it deals with cpu .v. gpu technology and quality.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/9

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Bernd1948 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jul 10, 2008 10:18 Messages: 3930 Offline
[Post New]
[Thumb - Screenshot_2011_07_19_13_29_50.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_2011_07_19_13_29_50.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
942 time(s)
Gruß Bernd
Technical support:
DE:
https://de.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so it seems to work for BerndWelte !
I suspect that the revision of the Intel HD Graphics drivers might affect it.
BerndWelte - Do you know what version (revision) of Intel HD graphics drivers you are using ?
Thanks
- Steve
Bernd1948 [Avatar]
[Post New]

see DxDiag
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
557 time(s)
Gruß Bernd
Technical support:
DE:

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Can't test any of this, but does this have any bearing on the issue?? [my bold]

"There’s just one hangup to all of this Quick Sync greatness: it only works if the processor’s GPU is enabled. In other words, on a desktop with a single monitor connected to a discrete GPU, you can’t use Quick Sync.

This isn’t a problem for mobile since Sandy Bridge notebooks should support switchable graphics, meaning you can use Quick Sync without waking up the discrete GPU. However there’s no standardized switchable graphics for desktops yet. Intel indicated that we may see some switchable solutions in the coming months on the desktop, but until then you either have to use the integrated GPU alone or run a multimonitor setup with one monitor connected to Intel’s GPU in order to use Quick Sync."

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Adrian, I already noticed mention of having the use the integrated GCU.
I am using a simple setup with DVI monitor connected to the on-board video (no add-on graphics cards), so presumably it SHOULD work? Or am I missing something?
- Steve
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
BerndWelte - Thanks for the information ;

For others information - BerndWelte is successfully using Intel graphics driver 8.15.0010.2279 on a motherboard with Intel H61 chipset.

I am (unsuccessfully) using Intel graphics driver 8.15.0010.2418 with Z68 chipset.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Sorry Steve, I don't know, I'm just an "interested bystander" so to speak. I think I've reached my limits on this one.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Item 230.

I've sent in a report to CL and asked for assistance.

SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd
srweal [Avatar]
[Post New]
My system is running onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000 (BIOS version 2111.0) using driver version 8.15.10.2361 and the option to 'Enable quick sync' is disabled.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2011 18:56

srweal [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just rolled back my drivers to 8.15.10.2321 (which came on the CD with my motherboard) and now the option to 'Enable quick sync' is able to be checked.

So the issue must be the latest Intel drivers and how they interact with PowerDirector9.

Hopefully you other guys having this problem can roll back to old drivers too.
Bernd1948 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Treiber 2361
[Thumb - Screenshot_2011_07_20_06_50_32.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_2011_07_20_06_50_32.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
202 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
995 time(s)
Gruß Bernd
Technical support:
DE:

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

PowerDirector 9 starts to support Intel Quick Sync from v2504 patch.

If user using sandy bridge platform, but find cannot enable hardware acceleration in Preference, it often due to the driver is not installed properly. User can check "About" page to see if there's intel's logo, if yes, then it means that intel driver installed properly so that PDR can
recognize it.

For Intel Quick Sync issue, currently CL finds that some users can't enable hardware acceleration while update Intel HD Graphics driver later than 15.21.13.64.2342. For example, install driver 15.22.1.2361, result is, one can not enable HA.

The answer appears to be to install the driver ...2342 properly and test that it has by looking at the "About" popup window. Any later Intel driver doesn't work... for the moment.