Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Quality DVD? UNHAPPY CUSTOMER....
AGagnon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2011 14:46 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I wis to produce a file that Ill make into a DVD. I am making a layer heavy 30 minute family DVD.

In PD5, which I had before, Id render sections into individual MPG2s. Once all sections are done, I then string the indivdual sections in a new project, render as one, then burn to dvd.

So now I am in my firs PD9U project and done first section, VERY layer heavy.. so I figure I shoudl render this section to its own finished file so I can add it together to the rest when they are done..

When I go to do such, remember NOT making a DVDS for now, just a section, I look up the types of files I can save in PRODUCE...

MPG 2 is noted "If you want to make a MEDIUM" quality DVD...

Should I perhaps use .MOV file which says "full high definition quality"??

I just want to make the best quality DVD.. not medium...

If I cant make high quality DVDs, I just wasted over 100$.. note I loved PD5, so I have faith!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 09:06

[Post New]
Better save to file first with the desired quality and compatible with DVD-video.
After you create the DVD and see that should activate SVRT3

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2011 17:43

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
AGagnon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Better save to file first with the desired quality and compatible with DVD-video.
After you create the DVD and see that should activate SVRT3

thanbsk for the reply!

So I then would save in MOV and burn... assumign MOV can be mad into dvd format

What does 'SVRT3' mean?

All my previous PD5 DVDs are acceptable quality for me.. so provided its not WORSe in PD9, I am okay...

Ill probably burn in both and see hoW it turns out..

To be honest, if I made an up to 60 minute project with say 50 different lines with sounds/vids and effects.. could it handle multiple scenes in rendering?

Dont you lose quility when you render into a project a file rendered before?
[Post New]
For a project created in PD5 added in PD9 likely will need to fix some things.
Pd9 is good for the render with effects fica very good, I use more for photos (slideshow) and short videos.
For long videos I use PD8
The PDv8 and v9 creates the interlaced DVD mode, which I think is not best for original videos in progressive mode

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2011 17:53

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
AGagnon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: For a project created in PD5 added in PD9 likely will need to fix some things.
Pd9 is good for the render with effects fica very good, I use more for photos (slideshow) and short videos.
For long videos I use PD8
The PDv8 and v9 creates the interlaced DVD mode, which I think is not best for original videos in progressive mode

Thanks again for helping me understand...

(So I feel I jumped too quickly and am going to get less quality form PD9 than 5 no...)

Unless PD5 had interlaced dvds as well? Again, if its no worse Ill be happy...

If I am to understand the graphic, green means it doesnt have to be rendered? If its not gtreen I am in trouble and cant make DVD?

PD5 seemed so much easier.. when I was dne makeing the sections I hit a single render key then burned it, turned out looking great!

AGagnon [Avatar]
[Post New]
At this point, I feel I have wasted my money on PD9.. really not happy that from what I eread, and its hard to get an anser as well Id like to say, on why it seems the quality of DVD I can burn has DIMINISHED from PD5 to PD9..

v9 creates the interlaced DVD mode, which I think is not best for original videos in progressive mode

what does this actually mean? I am a layman!

Maybe I shoudl simply ask if the quality with MPG2 buring to DVD is the same with PD9 as it was in PD5? Is PD9 worse? Better?

REALLY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER AT THIS POINT

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AGagnon,
I've read through your posts and I cant see what would make you "REALLY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER AT THIS POINT ". From what I can see you've made a number of incorrect choices at some points during the Produce stage of PD9. I'll ask some questions and maybe make you feel a little happier at the end.

1. What's the source video you're importing into Pd9 to edit? Please supply a sample about 5 to 10 seconds long. Please attach it to your reply, select link Post Reply or this one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/17803.page

2. Name the camera you have please? Always good to share this information.

3. Your aim appears to be to create a DVD. To produce the video for the DVD in separate sections, as you go along (wise action). You should opt to Produce your video to the Mpeg2 format and select High Quality DVD.

4. Retaining video quality is important as it ensures a crisp resolution, however if you're expectations are too high it may not happen.
HD video will NOT appear as sharp in DVD.

5. You asked about SVRT3 - I'm sure you came across SVRT in PD5 where this feature skipped over previously unchanged footage. SVRT3 does the same for HD footage. There are refinements to SVRT which have been mentioned. I think for the moment they need to be ignored.

Please read the readme files at the beginning of the PD forum.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

There are also some tutorials available to you in the Produce workspace - CL advert display.
AGagnon [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do apologize if I came off as being irrate at anyone here, I am mearly frustrated, agian, not at anyone specific.

Hi AGagnon,
I've read through your posts and I cant see what would make you "REALLY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER AT THIS POINT ". From what I can see you've made a number of incorrect choices at some points during the Produce stage of PD9. I'll ask some questions and maybe make you feel a little happier at the end.

1. What's the source video you're importing into Pd9 to edit? Please supply a sample about 5 to 10 seconds long. Please attach it to your reply, select link Post Reply or this one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/17803.page

I can do this tonight. I am at office right now. Good to note the source video is from my JVC Enviro that when I got a few years ago actuually came with the PD5 software. The output of the camcorder was .mov extension yet doesnt seem to be same as current .mov files associated nowawdays.

2. Name the camera you have please? Always good to share this information.

JVC Enviro

3. Your aim appears to be to create a DVD. To produce the video for the DVD in separate sections, as you go along (wise action). You should opt to Produce your video to the Mpeg2 format and select High Quality DVD.

Yes, I want to simply make home movie dvds. As per your advice, sounds straight forward. I am actually used to mpg2, as thats the highest quality format PD5 would save work in prior to burning to dvd. Now where do I "Secelct High Quality DVD?"

4. Retaining video quality is important as it ensures a crisp resolution, however if you're expectations are too high it may not happen.
HD video will NOT appear as sharp in DVD.

I do understand this. Again, I like the quality my previous non HD DVDS made with PD5 made. I dont have a HD camera anyhow! These were 'simple' SD DVDs, again if I get the same quality DVDs using same cam corder but editing through PD9, Ill be a happy camper! I wanted PD9 for its new effects and expanded track/timeline limits.

5. You asked about SVRT3 - I'm sure you came across SVRT in PD5 where this feature skipped over previously unchanged footage. SVRT3 does the same for HD footage. There are refinements to SVRT which have been mentioned. I think for the moment they need to be ignored.

I never knew SVRT was in PD5.. when I made a project and was happy with the editing, then I render in in windows, preview it to make sure it looked good. Id then produce to MPG2. Id then open new project, import the MPG2 I just made, then make the DVD. This process avoided crashes as opposed to making dvd off the master project file. It didnt seem to effect quality at all

Please read the readme files at the beginning of the PD forum.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

There are also some tutorials available to you in the Produce workspace - CL advert display.

I have gone through tutorials, they are very good! Learned a few thoings, but not related to my question on quality difference between PD5 and PD9

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 11:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD5 is a different older animal and I wouldn't really want to start writing a comparison. PD9 has a timeline... start there and play with PD9.

Answer to item 3, see attached image. I haven't annotated it, just stuck arrows and boxes.

[Thumb - sduk2010-pd591.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd591.png
[Disk]
 Description
DVD HQ highlighted
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
431 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 11:41

AGagnon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PD5 is a different older animal and I wouldn't really want to start writing a comparison. PD9 has a timeline... start there and play with PD9.

Answer to item 3, see attached image. I haven't annotated it, just stuck arrows and boxes.

This screenshot helps alot, its hwere I hit a roadblock! Its exactally what I see and then I worry!

I do pick MPG2, I do pick the DVD HQ.. BUT!

If you look at description of profile it says:

"Select this profile if you want to make a medium quality DVD..."

In PD5, it says: "Select this profile if you want to make high quality DVD..."

Im wondering if because HD Blue ray wasnt included in PD5, that at the time the highest quality WAS the MPG2. But now with HD exisiting, the quality is still the same Ill get with my MPG2, but because there is HD technology, its only considered MEDIUM cmpared to HDs HIGHEST??? Does that make logical sence?

But its established to make a home DVD and becuase I dont have HD cam corder, using MPG2 is the best I can use?

WERE GETTING THERE!!
Hell... I should just burn the same project I made in PD5 but in PD9 and see if it looks the same!
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Hell... I should just burn the same project I made in PD5 but in PD9 and see if it looks the same!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all that.................you answered your own question....... Step number 1 when upgrading versions....... do it the same way you have always done it first.... then see what happens......

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 21:24

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
AGagnon
v9 creates the interlaced DVD mode, which I think is not best for original videos in progressive mode
what does this actually mean? I am a layman!
Maybe I shoudl simply ask if the quality with MPG2 buring to DVD is the same with PD9 as it was in PD5? Is PD9 worse? Better?

-------
I do not know the PD5, I started with PD7 and PD8 makes me the best MPEG2 format, if not overlap effects, in terms of image quality, already the PD9 works best for overlap effects.
---
I do not know if have to do with my PC, but the PD8 and PD9 are equal in rendering time.
---
For the frame type, interlaced or progressive, for interlaced video the PD maintains the same format .
If the videos created in Progressive mode, the PD converts for interlaced it loses little in quality (sharpness and color) but it is not relevant. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3