Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 11 not working with DVDIdle, Read-ahead Cache future request
Bob,Tommy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2010 17:39 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
To Cyber-link tecnecal teem.

What is DVDIdle

DVDIdle helps you to extend the lifetime of your DVD drive. By using the Smart Read-ahead Cache, DVDIdle saves DVD data which will be played soon onto the hard disk cache or RAM cache, and then feeds it to DVD player. This allows the DVD drive to rest. For example: a 6X-speed DVD drive will only work for 15 minutes when you are watching a 90 minutes DVD movie.

The problem is that the company that made DVDIdle are no longer supporting it, and ever since Powerdvd 10 Mark II Version 10.0.2429.51 and above, DVD idle has not been working,

Please Mod can you contact the guys that update/ fix bugs on power DVD and ask them if it is possible to add such future as DVDIdle Smart Read-ahead Cache? Not only does this extend the life of the DVD drive but it also Cashes the DVD dater to RAM then spins down the loud 24X DVD drive.

If possible also adding the ability to Smart Read-ahead Cache of Blu-Ray movies would make it future ready.

Pleas add to the option setting of cash to RAM/HDD and allow the user to set the Cache size, mods of power DVD should down load a trial version of DVDIdle to learn what setting options are given to users.

Thank you and please pass this on the right person, I well continue to support and recommend Power DVD to people.

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tommy,

thanks for your suggestions - for DVD playback we already using such kind of technology - but of course not as extended as the tool you mentioned.
I will forward the suggestion to our team - they will have a look into it and need to study it.

For BD the issue is a little bit more complex as you know the content and copy protection is more complex and also a lot of legal issues are concerned - neverless I will forward your suggestion to the planning team for internal discussion.

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Bob,Tommy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2010 17:39 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for your response,

Indeed I am well aware of the security copy protection on BD however with the BD (Blu-Ray) I was thinking more consumer recoded/authored home videos etc and not so much BD movies, if I am not mistake using authoring software to make BD family videos does not add any copy protection so this should hopefully be possible.

I have see the resource/memory that PowerDVD11 takes, its higher then average software so some form of Caching is taking place however like you’ve mentioned its nowhere close to what DVD idle does.

There's people out there that are thinking “what’s the point, DVD drives are inexpensive nowadays” regardless, the fact is any modern day DVD ROM/recorder drives are vary noisy when reading at 21X, reading ahead would help the drive spin down quicker.

You get the point.

Thank you and hope to see this incorporated