Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
clmsserver.exe
Dmitrig [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2011 17:40 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
What is clmsserver.exe doing on my computer?
What kind of data it transmits to the Internet?
If I block internet access to the process, not hurt it work powerdvd?
geonk
Newbie Location: Pasadena, CA USA Joined: Feb 25, 2011 19:58 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
CLMSServer.exe is the CyberLink Spark Media Server Service. It seems to be a DLNA media server.

This also seems to be new with PowerDVD 11, but I'm not sure. I never noticed it before with PowerDVD 10 and earlier.

It's also pretty much completely redundant, as Windows Media Player also has a server component, although whether or not you like the WMP version is up to you. There are all sorts of media servers available for Windows,

As far as I'm concerned, this is yet another application/service that CyberLink installs with absolutely no information and without informing you! And it's yet another piece of CyberLink software bloating my system and using up resources!

It's fine to add extra abilities to PowerDVD, but how about asking before just installing it without any user interaction?!?
Dmitrig [Avatar]
[Post New]
When working poverdvd, these processes are active:
CLMSSERVER.EXE
PDVD11SERV.EXE
POWERDVD11.EXE
POWERDVD.EXE
But the CLMSSERVER.EXE is sending data to the Internet, even when a PowerDVD is not running. I'm wondering what data is sent from my computer. And can I trust the process?
geonk
Newbie Location: Pasadena, CA USA Joined: Feb 25, 2011 19:58 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
The CyberLink Spark Media Server is a network service. It allows other computers on your network to see the media on your system, depending on how you have to the media server set up.

Of course, I have no idea HOW to set CyberLink's Media Server up, given that they don't even tell you they're installing it, and provide scant data about it at all.

Whether or not it's a security risk depends on what access you want other systems to have.

If you're asking if it's malware, then, no, it's not inherently dangerous in that sense. It won't be sending information outside of your local network. (Or, at least, it shouldn't.)

However, it may give those on your local network access to your media, such as pictures and movies, depending on how it's configured, which I don't know.

I've personally disabled it, not because I think it's dangerous, but because I don't need it, so all it does is use resources.

If you don't need it (and, if you don't know what it is, then you don't need it! ) then I would disable it. You can do so by doing the following (This assumes you have administrator privileges on your system):

1. Go to your Start Menu, and in the search box at the bottom, type: services.msc and hit Return.

2. The Services list will pop up. Go down the list and find the two services labeled:

CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Monitor Service
CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Service

3. For each one in succession, select "Properties" and do the following.

4. At the bottom of the Properties dialog, where it says "Service status:", select "Stop". Wait for it to return.

5. In the middle of the Properties dialog box, where it says "Startup type:", select the pulldown menu, and select "Disable".

6. Hit "OK".

After you've done this for each of the two services, the Media Server will be stopped and will not start again!

If you decide you DO want to use the server, go back into the properties of each server, select "Automatic" from the pulldown, and hit Start, and then OK. That will enable them again.

Hope this helps! :

-geo

Edit (2011/08/14): It seems that, every time you install an update for PowerDVD, these two services get re-enabled. Yet another slimy practice by CyberLink. If you've disabled a service, they shouldn't re-enable it, especially without asking for your permission first! Or, at the very least informing you that the services have been re-enabled. CyberLink seems to be completely unconcerned with informing their customers about what changes are being made with their installations. Adding software that isn't listed, isn't announced, and isn't documented anywhere is, in my opinion, unethical at best.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 15. 2011 02:16

Dmitrig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Geo!
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please see the related modules and their function - please be carefully not to disable a function you may need

CLMSSERVER.EXE
Background COM Service
It allows PowerDVD Remote (Android) to discover the remote service on the PC. Once service is discovered, PowerDVD Remote (Android) may establish the connection with PowerDVD main application process for interopt.

PDVD11SERV.EXE
Background agent
It monitors Remote Control command (ex, Media Center Remote Control) and launches PowerDVD according to Remote Control command

POWERDVD11.EXE
Main application process

POWERDVD.EXE
Sub launched module process with the same life cycle as the main application process.
This is Movie module for DVD/BD playback
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
drunkenmidget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2011 01:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Alternatively you can stop the service in services.msc as described earlier, then go to a command prompt and type:
sc delete "CyberLink PowerDVD 11.0 Service"

That'll remove the service completely, and it will no longer show in the services.msc mmc.