CyberLink Community Forum
PowerDirector 9 Will Not Load At All  XML
Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
MJBNYC

I downloaded PowerDirector 9 for a 30 day trial. I am unable to get PowerDirector to even load. The logo comes up with the woman holding the video camera, then I am asked if I want to Try or Buy. No mater which I select, the program "Stops Working" and shuts down. I have never seen the inside of this program.

I uninstalled and re-installed three times. I installed the latest software patch. I send t a note to Tech Support a while ago, but they never got back to me. I am at a loss. It seems like a great program and I own other Cyberlink products that work great, so I am very disapointed.

I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SP1 on a Dell machine.

Please help.
Jaime-esque

Senior Contributor

From the start menu, in the Run box type dxdiag and press enter. Select 'Save All Information' and attach it to you post.
[WWW]
GregInSparta

Please follow steps outlined in this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

It is important that you include the DXdiag.txt file.

GregInSparta
---------------------------------
Q9650, 4GB RAM, 8TB HDD,
8800GT-512MB, Win64 Ult
MJBNYC

Thank you.

Attached is the dxdiag information.

I also tried using MSCONFIG to shut off all services and startup items, but even in this mode, I had the same problem with PowerDirector 9.

I truly appreciate your help.
 Filename MJBNYC DxDiag.txt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  316 time(s)

vn800rider

Senior Contributor

I would suggest that you look to make sure your drivers are all up to date - particularly video drivers. The latest version for your card is 11.3 as far as I can see.

Your video card is at the low level for complex video editing and may well cause PD to struggle but should not stop it from loading.

Cheers
Adrian

He dreamt of all the underwater sights he would capture with his new camera and housing. AMD Phenom X6, Win 7 64bit, ATI 4650.

Bubba in TX

Senior Contributor

Either I missed it or it is not installed. You need to have Quick Time installed for it's codecs. When I installed the 2330 patch after the intro logo came up it would just go away and not start. Even though I already had and always had real player installed I was 2 update versions behind. I updated it and then it ran fine. PD will not run without it and I assume that Cyberlink thinks that everyone in the world naturally already has it on their computers. Like a lot of other software companies.

The trial version is a handicapped version of PD9 with a lot of things not installed. However even though you machine is relatively new wit PD9 you must make sure you have ALL the latest codecs and drivers all the time.

Should you purchase the retail version, do not do the CD box thing, do the download thing. There will be two files to download. The main file and content pak. I wold resist to jump in and go to the latest release patch at first.

And as Adrian said, you may want to reconsider your video card. Video editing and rendering is the most stressful thing you can do on a computer My old card was 500 meg and work just OK. Not great.

I meant Quick time, I was using real player when I was writing my post

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 03/04/2011 11:04:54

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Ray06

I have recently installed PD9, I had PD8 before, I was having problems with it so I tried to re-install it, I got the following error "setup could not find a file on the specified path or disk", I tried it in safe mode, same problem, can anyone help?
HDedit

Senior Contributor

Ray06

Please post this as a new topic. It has no bearing on the original subject.

Win 7, 64 bit, i7
Ray06

HDedit wrote:Ray06

Please post this as a new topic. It has no bearing on the original subject.

The topic is "PowerDirector 9 will not load at all", that is my problem, why is it bothering you?
HDedit

Senior Contributor

"setup could not find a file on the specified path or disk"

is a NEW item. It is not quite the same as MJBNYC's.

Yours is an upgrade. Are you having problems with PD8 or PD9 re-install ?

Win 7, 64 bit, i7
Ray06

Well I am sorry, I am quite new to this, the problem is with PD9, when I tried PD8 I had the same problem.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/04/2011 18:27:41

HDedit

Senior Contributor

Are you able to remove and re-install PD8 successfully ?

Win 7, 64 bit, i7
Ray06

Well after I had the problem with re-installing PD9, I tried re-installing PD8 but I got exactly the same error message, as far as I know both versions were removed although Wavepad is still there, when I tried to remove it, I got "File definition is lost".

Regards
Bubba in TX

Senior Contributor

Ray

Was PD8 running OK for you before all this?

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Ray06

Bubba in NV wrote:Ray

Was PD8 running OK for you before all this?

Yes it was, I installed PD9 recently, it kept crashing so I tried re-install it and that was when my problem started.
HDedit

Senior Contributor

Ok. I ran into the same problem. I got around it by removing PD using the control panel , cleaning the registry, reinstalling PD8.

Win 7, 64 bit, i7
Bubba in TX

Senior Contributor

The thing that confuses me, is why PD8 will not run again. I would assume because of PD9 remnants in the registry. I do not use the control panel version way to remove programs. I have used Revo uninstaller and CCleaner (both free) for years. I install and uninstall software on this thing every day sometimes several times a day.

You could have also restored your computer to the time before you installed PD9. But that may be too late now. I can usually go back up to 3 weeks. (have increased the size of my restore partition some, I do not recommend it has potential for disaster on some machines) And have done so many time too when I have uninstall problems with some software.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/04/2011 07:51:48

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
MJBNYC

I re-installed QuickTime as suggested, but it didn't help. I also tried to update the driver on my video card, but Windows told me I am already using the most up-to-date driver. Hard to belive as it is from 2009. Any other suggestions? I can't believe I can't even get the program to load from a fresh install.
Rocket-Scientist

NEVER believe windows on drivers, check with the video card manufacturer's web site. If on laptop, you might have to go to laptop's web site. Windows is usually 2-3 generations behind for ATI based cards.

WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD5 MB
FX 8150 X8 (3.6GHZ) 32 GB DDR3
GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 [NVIDIA 344.75 DRIVERS]
3X 2TB SATA III, 3X 1TB SATA III
480GB SSD SATA III (SYSTEM)
PD13 ULTIMATE 64bit 3.0.2307.0
CORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
MJBNYC

Thanks. Great advice.

I updated every driver I could (about 15) on my Dell Optiplex 960. I even updated the BIOS. A long overdue tune up. It doesn't appear though, that I can update the driver for the video card any further. I went to the AMD site and the Dell site. It appears I have the lastest.

I uninstalled PowerDirector and re-installed it. Same problem. The logo loads, then crashes. I never see the inside of the program.

I know I have a low end video card, which I plan to update, but I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks just to see if I can get the program to load.

Any suggestions to get this program to load are appreciated. If I can get in and play with it, it will serve as a good impetus to upgrade the card.

I'm attaching another dxdiag in case it reveals more info post the driver updates.

Truly appreciate the help. I read such good things about this program.

Filename DxDiag.txt [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  209 time(s)

garioch7

Senior Contributor

Hi. I am wondering if your graphics card might be the source of the problem. The PD9 requirements URL is below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_CA.html

I don't see the Radeon HD3450 card as being supported, unless it is considered an "HD2600 and above."

The other possibility would be a codec issue, but I am not an expert on those. Based on recommendations I have seen in this forum, I installed the FFDshow codec pack, which you can Google and obtain for free.

With the exception of the video card, your computer should be capable of handling PD9 from what I can see. Perhaps the hardware pros will have more erudite suggestions.

It is really discouraging when you can't even get the program to load, so I hope someone comes up with a definitive answer for you. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
[WWW]
MJBNYC

Thank you for the advice.

I am beginning to believe it may be the video card, although I would think (and hope) that the PD9 would generate a error message or something instead of just crashing. I downloaded and installed the codecs, but that didn't work.

I have other Cyberlink products on my PC that work just fine. I even uninstalled all of those, re-installed PD9, but no luck.

Interestingly enough, my trial period continues to expire. I wonder if I will get it to load before it does.

Microsoft Movie Maker is looking better and better. I tried Adobe Premiere Elements. It was truly awful.

Truly appreciate everyone's advice and help.
garioch7

Senior Contributor

Hi. Sorry that you are still not successful in getting PD9 to load. From what I have read on this forum, PD9 does not display an error message if there are insufficient computer resources for it to properly launch. It just doesn't load, as you are experiencing.

Sorry to hear that you may abandon the wonderful world of PD9. It is an awesome product for the price, but, of course, it is not of much use to you if you can't successfully launch the app.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
[WWW]
MJBNYC

Thanks Phil. Based on all the reviews, it is indeed a great product and one I hope to use.

When you say insufficent resources, does that refer to the video card memory, RAM or both. I have 8GB of RAM, but only 512MB of video memory.

If you belive it's all related to the video card, I guess I'll need to take the plunge and upgrade the card. I'm fresh out of ideas. Interestingly, I haven't heard a thing from Cyberlink tech support. My post to them on 30 March is still out there. Thank God for forums.

Appreciate the help.
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor

Hi,
Update:
Online support is struggling at the moment to respond adequately - they are swamped.

The PD9 forum has seen a 50% increase on PD8 forum since the launch of PD9.

Members do their best to give help, it'll be your turn soon to help others I encourage inexperienced members to have a go at answering posts, from my experience it is the best way to test yourself and to get to know PD. Please try.

Thanks
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/04/2011 09:51:07

For more information click the links given here:
PowerDirector Video Editor = 2,2.5,3,4,5,5P,6,7,8,9,10,11 Ultimate Suite, Ultimate Suite 2, Director Suite 2.
PowerDirector 12 Image Guides linking image guides on the forum.
Image Editor = One that makes transparent background PNG files is a "must have".
Gif Animation = Creating and converting an animation can give one's video a little "edge".
Check out PowerDVD, PhotoDirector, ColorDirector, AudioDirector & MediaShow
I use the Pixelan plug-ins, (*5) with PowerDirector 12 Click here to visit Pixelan Software.
Started with 8mm splice editing and B&W still image darkroom photography.
Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.

Forum Index » PowerDirector (previous versions)
Go to: