Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 Will Not Load At All
MJBNYC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 12:05 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I downloaded PowerDirector 9 for a 30 day trial. I am unable to get PowerDirector to even load. The logo comes up with the woman holding the video camera, then I am asked if I want to Try or Buy. No mater which I select, the program "Stops Working" and shuts down. I have never seen the inside of this program.

I uninstalled and re-installed three times. I installed the latest software patch. I send t a note to Tech Support a while ago, but they never got back to me. I am at a loss. It seems like a great program and I own other Cyberlink products that work great, so I am very disapointed.

I am running Windows 7 Pro, with SP1 on a Dell machine.

Please help.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
From the start menu, in the Run box type dxdiag and press enter. Select 'Save All Information' and attach it to you post. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
GregInSparta [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sparta, Michigan Joined: Dec 19, 2010 00:18 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Please follow steps outlined in this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

It is important that you include the DXdiag.txt file.

GregInSparta
---------------------------------
i5 6600K, 16GB RAM, 480Gb SSD, 3Tb & 4Tb HDD, Win10 Pro
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you.

Attached is the dxdiag information.

I also tried using MSCONFIG to shut off all services and startup items, but even in this mode, I had the same problem with PowerDirector 9.

I truly appreciate your help.
 Filename
MJBNYC DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
736 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I would suggest that you look to make sure your drivers are all up to date - particularly video drivers. The latest version for your card is 11.3 as far as I can see.

Your video card is at the low level for complex video editing and may well cause PD to struggle but should not stop it from loading.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Either I missed it or it is not installed. You need to have Quick Time installed for it's codecs. When I installed the 2330 patch after the intro logo came up it would just go away and not start. Even though I already had and always had real player installed I was 2 update versions behind. I updated it and then it ran fine. PD will not run without it and I assume that Cyberlink thinks that everyone in the world naturally already has it on their computers. Like a lot of other software companies.

The trial version is a handicapped version of PD9 with a lot of things not installed. However even though you machine is relatively new wit PD9 you must make sure you have ALL the latest codecs and drivers all the time.

Should you purchase the retail version, do not do the CD box thing, do the download thing. There will be two files to download. The main file and content pak. I wold resist to jump in and go to the latest release patch at first.

And as Adrian said, you may want to reconsider your video card. Video editing and rendering is the most stressful thing you can do on a computer My old card was 500 meg and work just OK. Not great.

I meant Quick time, I was using real player when I was writing my post

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 03. 2011 14:04

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Ray06 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2008 09:28 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have recently installed PD9, I had PD8 before, I was having problems with it so I tried to re-install it, I got the following error "setup could not find a file on the specified path or disk", I tried it in safe mode, same problem, can anyone help?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Ray06

Please post this as a new topic. It has no bearing on the original subject. Win 10, i7
Ray06 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ray06

Please post this as a new topic. It has no bearing on the original subject.

The topic is "PowerDirector 9 will not load at all", that is my problem, why is it bothering you?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
"setup could not find a file on the specified path or disk"

is a NEW item. It is not quite the same as MJBNYC's.

Yours is an upgrade. Are you having problems with PD8 or PD9 re-install ? Win 10, i7
Ray06 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I am sorry, I am quite new to this, the problem is with PD9, when I tried PD8 I had the same problem.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2011 21:27

All vodi
[Post New]
Are you able to remove and re-install PD8 successfully ? Win 10, i7
Ray06 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well after I had the problem with re-installing PD9, I tried re-installing PD8 but I got exactly the same error message, as far as I know both versions were removed although Wavepad is still there, when I tried to remove it, I got "File definition is lost".

Regards
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Ray

Was PD8 running OK for you before all this? __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Ray06 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ray

Was PD8 running OK for you before all this?

Yes it was, I installed PD9 recently, it kept crashing so I tried re-install it and that was when my problem started.
All vodi
[Post New]
Ok. I ran into the same problem. I got around it by removing PD using the control panel , cleaning the registry, reinstalling PD8. Win 10, i7
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
The thing that confuses me, is why PD8 will not run again. I would assume because of PD9 remnants in the registry. I do not use the control panel version way to remove programs. I have used Revo uninstaller and CCleaner (both free) for years. I install and uninstall software on this thing every day sometimes several times a day.

You could have also restored your computer to the time before you installed PD9. But that may be too late now. I can usually go back up to 3 weeks. (have increased the size of my restore partition some, I do not recommend it has potential for disaster on some machines) And have done so many time too when I have uninstall problems with some software.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2011 10:51

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
I re-installed QuickTime as suggested, but it didn't help. I also tried to update the driver on my video card, but Windows told me I am already using the most up-to-date driver. Hard to belive as it is from 2009. Any other suggestions? I can't believe I can't even get the program to load from a fresh install.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
NEVER believe windows on drivers, check with the video card manufacturer's web site. If on laptop, you might have to go to laptop's web site. Windows is usually 2-3 generations behind for ATI based cards. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. Great advice.

I updated every driver I could (about 15) on my Dell Optiplex 960. I even updated the BIOS. A long overdue tune up. It doesn't appear though, that I can update the driver for the video card any further. I went to the AMD site and the Dell site. It appears I have the lastest.

I uninstalled PowerDirector and re-installed it. Same problem. The logo loads, then crashes. I never see the inside of the program.

I know I have a low end video card, which I plan to update, but I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks just to see if I can get the program to load.

Any suggestions to get this program to load are appreciated. If I can get in and play with it, it will serve as a good impetus to upgrade the card.

I'm attaching another dxdiag in case it reveals more info post the driver updates.

Truly appreciate the help. I read such good things about this program.

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
675 time(s)