CyberLink Community Forum
How many minutes of video can I get onto a DVD?  XML
Forum Index » PowerProducer
Hayford

For years now I've been using a program called Studio 9 (from Dazzle, I think) to edit DVDs and VHSs into first MPG files, and then to burn the MPGs onto DVDs as VOB files. Worked fine for about 8 years. A few days ago I started having problems and had a new DVD burner installed in my HP computer. The people who installed it also installed the Cyberlink programs and I have a CD with the various programs on it.

I have, apparently, PowerProducer 5.0.2.2130.

I have been playing around with PowerProducer and I've gotta say that it burns VOBs to disc a lot faster than Studio ever did. Here's my question, however:

When I used Studio, the maximum video time I could burn to a DVD was 1 hour 17 minutes and 10 seconds, at least in one of their settings -- the only other setting only permitted about 1 hour. So when I was editing my videos, I would make sure that I would have about 1:17:08 of stuff to burn, to fill the disc to its capacity.

With PowerProducer, however, I am unable to find any definitions to tell me precisely how many minutes I can incorporate.

When I go to PowerProducer\Preferences\Video/Audio I find a box called "Video Quality", and, below, that, five other boxes with initials beneath them: HQ, SP, LP, EP, and Smart Fit.

By experimenting with five MPG files that I *know* will run for 1 hr. 17 min. and 7 sec. on Studio, using up just about *all* of the 4.7 gigs of space on the blank DVD, I have found the following:

For HQ, it would take me 5808 megs to burn them

For SP, it would take 3038

For LP, it would take 2045

For EP, it would take 1578

And for Smart Fit, it would take 4350 of the 4700 available.

Okay: for Smart Fit, how many minutes of video can I get into the 4700?

And why doesn't this program give us this information somewhere?

Thanks!

Hayford
Hayford

I've done some more fooling around with the program -- it appears to me that if I use Smart Fit as the setting, I can put in 1 hr 17 min and 7 sec for 4350 MB, BUT also 1 hr 23 min and 10 sec for 4340! So it doesn't seem to be a fixed rate, but rather a flexible one that will tailor the size to the amount of material that one wants to create. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Forum Index » PowerProducer
Go to: