Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Codec pack, which to avoid and what to install.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Editors,

Point of interest.

I have often recommended editors to install a codec pack, FFDshow being my choice and on my system without any problems.

Information from CyberLink's PD9 Readme:
Heading: Installation and Software Usage Notice
Section 16:
Failed to install due to QuickTime not being installed, in some cases, CyberLink PowerDirector 9 cannot be successfully installed because the previous step of QuickTime installation wasn't completed. This may be due to there are other third party codecs that installed QuickTime alternative codecs, such as the Storm Codec or K-Lite Codec Pack. We suggest that you uninstall these codec packs, and install the official Apple QuickTime 7 Player. After QuickTime is installed, try installing CyberLink PowerDirector 9 again.

Codec packs explained: Click to search

Thanks
Dafydd
 Filename
Readme.htm
[Disk]
 Description
Read me - an interesting read.
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3623 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 29. 2011 06:21

AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
I love tips like these because they eliminate the need to read through lots of threads to uncover the "gold nuggets". Thanks Dafydd Bevan for taking the time to share this information with us! Two follow-up questions if I may...

1. Does PD9 install proprietary Cyberlink Codecs to use as its default set, or does it "hand off" the decoding/authoring to whatever Codec pack is installed on the P.C. with the highest priority? For example, if Windows-7 comes with it's own Codec Set, and I have an AMD-ATI AVIVO package, how does PD9 know what to use?

2. If I download and install the FFDShow Codec Pack as you recommend, how do I tell PD9 to use it for decoding/authoring? (BTW.. Web searches turn up nothing but kudos for FFDShow. Thanks again!)

Appreciatively,

-Allen
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Allen,
The codecs used in PD9Ultra are pretty much fixed. The codec pack is used to decode/enable a media file to be read on your system.

CyberLink has opted to make sure PD9 is a stable editing unit and dropped codec access from 3rd party sources (like DivX).

hope that helps
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2011 12:42

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
In case anyone is interested in using Windows Media Player as an alternate player for nearly every type of video/audio file, CNET's download site has a CODEC pack suite available for such a requirement :

http://download.cnet.com/ Win 10, i7
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
I suggest caution with any filter (or codec) "pack" as these often introduce filters that conflict with each other. PD9 does not use any public DirectShow Filters, so any additional filters you install need to revolve around what your playback needs are and may be dependant on the media player that you use. Try to keep the filters you install to a minimum for what your need. More is not better, just more complicated to manage and trouble shoot. For may the STD M'Soft installed filters are fine but if you want broader or customisable playback support I'd suggest the following for a basic setup:

1) Splitter : LAVSplitter http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191 (others options include Haali)
2) Decoders : FFSHOW is a good start for Audio and Video Decoders http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465 through there are many config options so a new user can get lost
3) Renderers: There are MS supplied Audio and Video renders on you Windows box already.

For those that have mastered the basics there any many many specific filters that you can try. I couple I like include:
2a) Audio Decoder: LAVAudio http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
3a) Video Renderer: madVR http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228
3b) Audio Renderer: Reclock http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=44883

A final word of warning for the OCD types, as you chase every better and higher quality this rabit hole is very very deep indeed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2011 05:38

PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have 32 bit Deluxe PD9 and I get the ffdshow codec icon showing up in the system tray whenever I play MP4's but not with flv videos.

Not sure where the ffdshow codecs came from, maybe my FormatFactory, but all I can say is that my PD9 videos play perfectly fine with ffdshow codecs no problem at all.

Stephanie. Just Love What You Do !
[Post New]
Also, VLC (Video Lan Client) uses all internal codecs, so it has no impact on other applications and can play almost any format.
StephanieNZ
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Feb 01, 2011 19:20 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Just discovered it was my Sonne DVD Creator that installed ffdshow on my pc.

But everything works in harmony with PD9 so that is good.. Just Love What You Do !
Missy3XL [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 02, 2011 18:34 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
I've never had a problem 'playing' any type of file on PD9 and have for some time thought that my PD9 uses the ffdshow codecs that were installed by my Sonne-DVD-Creator and thought nothing of it.

But tonight I was clearing out some programs and as I have never really used Sonne DVD Creator (free) I uninstalled it as I saw that the ffdshow part of the program was installed seperately in my add/remove programs.

But when I booted up PD9 and tried various music video files I found that my .avi files wouldn't work due to PD saying it was unsupported, broken or corrupt.

Soo, i reinstalled Sonne DVD Creator and now the avi's work perfectly along with the red ffdshow XVID libavcodec mpeg 4 icon in the system tray. (i get blue icons for audio)

Soo, I'm not sure what's going on here but I'm happy enough for PD9 to use Sonne's resources.

So the ffdshow that's being used by PD9 from Sonne here, is that part available seperately and would PD9 play my .avi's without Sonne ?

It's not a problem at all but I'm curious..

Stephanie
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Stephanie,
If you installed FFDshow as a separate package you should be ok.
Missy3XL [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 02, 2011 18:34 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd...my ffdshow was installed seperately 'BY' Sonne DVD Creator and PD9 .avi's work with Sonne installed and Not when its Uninstalled.

I have this installed in add/remove : ffdshow [rev 2975] [2009-05-28]

Soo, i think I will opt for the easy compromise of leaving Sonne installed on my system purely to play files in PD9 !

As my partner always says to me when i hit 'pc strife' ..'If it ain't broke don't fix it ! lol

Many Thanks and Enjoy your day.

Stephanie.