Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CPUwarning: 100% on ONE core or more
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Wondering if one or two of you tech-guys can have an explanation for me on this:

I do not make long projects. They are usually around 10-12 min long, and therefore
the renderings should not be a burdon on my rig.
I do not use SVRT. I have several times shared my all too many different outcomes
when every once or twice trying it out. SVRT is out - until perhaps PD10.

I have had to render mp4's mostly. I do a lot of work for my school (my job), and Quicktime
is used as server's player. I use pre-rendered mp4's in PD, or if I shoot - I shoot in mp4.
So I'm closing in now to what puzzles me:
I have, as of right now, trouble with HA - which I have used without problem up until now.
PD will render, but wmplayer can't read. ( Checked against everything else, OK)

When I uncheck HA, PD will render- and I will get a cpu-warning pop-up, saying that it's 100%
cpu-use of one core, or more.
Program: PD9exe.
I have 8 cores in stuffed in the pc. My childish notion of things would be to assume that the
cores "devide the work between them".

I leave my Dxdiag (fresh from today), to see if there is anything I should re-check upgrading.

(Any thoughts/solution- which do not include reinstalling OS- is warmly welcome )

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I don't think that the CPU warning is an issue. We assume that the 64 bit version of Win7 balances out CPU usage but in reality I probably does not all the time.

Download CPUZ (free) and run it along side your PD and see what your cores are actually doing.

Even easier just run task manager and go in the performance tab and watch the cpus.

Also while rendering a avi file, my cpu usage was bouncing from 94 to 100 % like it always does. Hard to see in the pic....

You need to download that one to see, it is too big for forum view.

[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1519 time(s)
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
337 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Mar 20. 2011 17:01

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hey...Bubba!

Thanks for input!
I did see the one column way up.
Next rendering I will have either taskmanager or cpus up. But just watching cpus will not explain things?

Also, any idea why wm-player would not read
the render from the 100% use of one core?

Nina

Just something.
1Nina
[Post New]
I found a record of the last incident with the core...
[Thumb - cpu.PNG]
 Filename
cpu.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
324 time(s)

Just something.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure why WMPlayer won't play your file, unless there was an error in rendering. I have had a few video files I have made a years past that would not play even though I did not get any errors during the production of it. I had just chalked it up to "it happens".

How big is your rendered file that won't play? Did you try a different output format? Although WMP 12 is the first version of WMPlayer I ever thought was worth using at times, My primary has been for years and still is Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema (free) for everything. BUT the WMP 12 I now use to watch retail movie videos only.

And by the way.... howdy girl... howz thangz???? Still winter here and snow.

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
With release 2702 I'm seeing more and more of core #2 going 100% while the remainder are much lower. It does not affect the rendering. If anything, the HS render quality has improved. Win 10, i7
1Nina
[Post New]
Hi - again!

I have still high use of cpu, 100% for 2 min mp4.

What gives me concern now is that wm-player won't play mp4's rendered in PD9 2330-
noe rendered with or without HA. This was no issue until I had my "fun" with 2702.
So, I have checked up on what codecs are in here,
and I - with my limited tech knowledge- can't see what's missing.
Is there something within PD missing here now, and the render is not quite right?
(The only difference from before is that I now installed WaveEditor)

Help appreciated!

[Thumb - audio.PNG]
 Filename
audio.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
304 time(s)
[Thumb - Videocodec.PNG]
 Filename
Videocodec.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
306 time(s)

Just something.
1Nina
[Post New]
and - I ran the 86Mb file through FF with same settings.
Audio came out fine, video no. Just a few freezing images.
Just something.
1Nina
[Post New]
Went back, lowered the settings to HighQuality, took away cropping of video- and wmplayer swallowed it.
I don't know....seems greek to me.

Bubba; it's still a lot of snow here, but I don't think,
well I don't hope- there's going to snow more.
Guess my hat is coming off soon!
Just something.
1Nina
[Post New]
I am taking the chance of raising this question again;
why does PD9 insists on using ONE core ? (on my pc)

I have been following the use of cpu while rendering (different file-formats).
ONE core is used to the maximum (100%-red warnings), and the other cores
give message: parked.

I have asked around, but so far no go.
Can someone verify for me their PD9 is using more than 1 core on their machine?

Like many others, I have taken the step of contacting tech-support today,
enclosing my dxdiag.
Let's see if they can explain for me, and what pehaps to fix.
It's Monday today, and if lucky, I'll have an answer within the week?

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's "pdr.exe" which uses the cpu.
The only thing I can read about it is that "it's a trusted file, cyberlink, process".
The "process" will be rendering, but there must be something wrong here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2011 14:39

Just something.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am taking the chance of raising this question again;

Here's the simple explanation: PD9 only uses one CPU because it only does one thing at a time (at least, most of the time).

A system with multiple processors can distribute programs across those processors, but if there are fewer programs than processors then some of the processors will be (mostly) idle. The system itself has a lot of things going on, so you won't see the processors flat-line.

It is possible to write a program that is what is called "multi-threaded." What that means is that the program itself is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. It's like the difference between pulling your car over to answer your mobile phone, or talking and driving at the same time. The second option is faster, until you hit a tree.

I don't know the internals of PD9, but you have essentially proven my theory with empirical data. Jerry Schwartz
kvon5784 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: OhiO Joined: Oct 13, 2010 07:23 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Here's the simple explanation: PD9 only uses one CPU because it only does one thing at a time (at least, most of the time).

A system with multiple processors can distribute programs across those processors, but if there are fewer programs than processors then some of the processors will be (mostly) idle. The system itself has a lot of things going on, so you won't see the processors flat-line.

It is possible to write a program that is what is called "multi-threaded." What that means is that the program itself is capable of doing more than one thing at a time. It's like the difference between pulling your car over to answer your mobile phone, or talking and driving at the same time. The second option is faster, until you hit a tree.

I don't know the internals of PD9, but you have essentially proven my theory with empirical data.

From the PowerDirector 9 System Requirements page:
PowerDirector 9 is optimized for CPUs with MMX/SSE/SSE2/3DNow!/3DNow! Extension/HyperThreading technology.

Just learning about this stuff myself, but isn't this saying that PD9 supports multi-threading? And if so, then shouldn't it be using both CPUs by default?

-OR-

I think that "HyperThreading" is Intel's implementation of multi-threading, don't know if one of those other cryptic buzz words is AMD's version, but I would hope/expect that if it does one it does the other...??
[Post New]
Nina;
I have read in other posts you made that you do not want to update to 2930...so I won't even mention it (oops..I just did ), but PLEASE consider updating your video card drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html

There have been three (3) separate WHQL updates since Oct 2010.
FB
1Nina
[Post New]

Hi Fred,

yes, and I have been updating each time.
Thanks for taking time to check

[Thumb - driverupdate.PNG]
 Filename
driverupdate.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)

Just something.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
1. Please provide a full diagnostic file as described in PART B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page The aim is to look at the text form, showing all the information data (not at a snapshot).

2. Please state clearly what build of 2330 you have and have applied. Is it a full build or a patch update from an earlier build? There were two 2330 builds released.

3. Please provide sample video which you have created in 2330 which fail to play in WMPlayer - members can then check these out.

4. Hardware acceleration was a flawed part of 2330 and its use with that program should not be counted as working. later updates corrected the situation and other parts members highlighted. Please install PD9 2930 patch and work your way through the problems you're encountering. Listing each and analytically assessing each, giving as much information as possible.

You quoted Adrian's thread in another post. Please be aware he has installed 2930 and I'm currently assisting (maybe) with his issue. Your situation is not the same, though there are similarities which might make you think they are.

5. Please state what full build you have - the starting point for PD9 before you apply any patch.
floridagator
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Nov 23, 2010 07:27 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Nina,

I am wondering what motherboard you are using in your system. Some of the motherboards require the cores to be activated in order for all of the cores to be utilized. I don't think it is normal for 100% usage on one core and no activity on the other cores.
I am using a Asus motherboard using a 4 core AMD processor I see the that "all cores are activated" in the boot up menu.
I see that all of my cores are being used by monitoring the CPU usage.[/b]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 19. 2011 08:26

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Phenom ll X4 Processor 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
1Nina
[Post New]
Asus P6X58D Premium.

Just something.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am taking the chance of raising this question again;

I have been following the use of cpu while rendering (different file-formats).
ONE core is used to the maximum (100%-red warnings), and the other cores
give message: parked.

I have asked around, but so far no go.
Can someone verify for me their PD9 is using more than 1 core on their machine?

Nina1,

To answer your question about the number of cores being used, my system consistantly uses four cores while rendering in PD9. Core usage remains relatively equal across all four cores, but I will get some short reductions of about 20% usage on one core from time to time. System specs below.

One question I do not see asked or answered:
Does any other application on your system use more than one core?

If I were in your shoes, I would also be seeking assistance/advice from ASUS, from Intel and from Microsoft about this issue. There is something strange going on here from my point of view.
Do you have a faulty motherboard?
Do you have a faulty processor?
Is this a Windows 7 problem?
Is this a PD9 problem? Because my system uses all four cores I am less likely to point my fingure here.

Although I have not provided one, I do hope you can find a solution.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
floridagator
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Nov 23, 2010 07:27 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Nina,
If you are familiar with going into the bios of your Asus P6X58D then I would go into the bios.
Go to the advanced menu\
CPU configuration\
Asus core unlocker\ make sure this is enabled\ by default comes disabled.
"Enables the ASUS Core Unlocker to get the full computing power of the processor" Asus quote.
This is on my motherboard so yours might be a little different.

Also check and make sure the active processor cores are enabled. All should be enabled.

On my CPU monitor all 4 of my cores are processing information at the same time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 19. 2011 10:42

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Phenom ll X4 Processor 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
[Post New]
1Nina;

Quote: I leave my Dxdiag (fresh from today), to see if there is anything I should re-check upgrading.

I noticed your "fresh" DXDIAG and thought I was seeing the most current. Obviously, I missed the March date of the post.
Quote: Hi Fred,

yes, and I have been updating each time.
Thanks for taking time to check

I see that Dafydd is involved here working with you and Adrian, so I hope you get the resolution you seek. Please come back and update the issue if you find a resolution. This sounds like a much needed discussion/fix.

My "random guess" would be, this is a version specific issue. I seem to remember this occurring in one of the releases, but I never see the 100% issue anymore. Sometimes only one core is used...but often only one is needed.

I may not be the best example,though. I do mostly home videos from a Canon HF11 and VHS converted 8mm home movies. PD9 works for all my stuff!

I don't do MOV files much but have seen (and tested) the various files posted in the forum threads. That file type seems to have issues and I just haven't pursued a fix or solution.
 Filename
FredDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
32BIT
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
376 time(s)
 Filename
Fred64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]