Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
E-Series Burn Error and Producing Before Burning
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Not looking for assistance, just passing on my most recent experience tonight with one of those dreaded E-series burn errors (had one once before).

Using a DELL XPS 1645, 500GB HD (350 GB free), Intel I7 CPU, 8GB RAM, best Radeon Mobility card I could buy for this computer, and all drivers up to date. PD9 Ultra x64 Build 2702, running on Windows Home Premium x64. I was creating an hour-long DVD of converted camcorder tape that was converted to MPEG2 format by another software/hardware product to burn in DVD HQ to three blank Memorex (16x) DVD-Rs. I should also note that shadow files and SVRT were off, as were all hardware accelerations.

Produced the video successfully. Usually I had always just gone to Burn to Disc after editing, but in one of these forums, it was indicated that authoring went faster if the video had been Produced before burning and besides, the produced file can be viewed for errors before making coasters, so I produced first. Set up to burn 3 copies in Burn to Disc. The first two burned fine; the last copy stopped at about 7% with one of those E-series errors.

Exited PD9. Restarted PD9 (did not reboot). Checked my burn speed (I had forgotten to reduce it - another chair-to-keyboard interface error (dummy me!)). Dropped burn speed from 8x to 4x, inserted a brand new DVD and it burned successfully. I always reduce the burn speed (wish that we could set that in Preferences) but forgot this time - the one other E-series error I had months ago also went away at a lower burn speed.

Another interesting thing occurred. When I started the last burn, it went directly to Burning - no authoring whatsoever - it didn't even show that bar in the burn dialogue box, whereas always before for me, it went to authoring and then burning and it did that tonight when I burned the first two DVDs. The "Produce.mpg" was in the 9.0 directory for all three burns and all I did when I restarted PD9 after the E-series error was to briefly check the edit room to ensure the projectt looked alright once I loaded from "Recent Files" and then went directly to the Create Disc sub-app, clicked burn, set the burn speed at 4x, and away we went.

Don't know what all of this means, being a newbie, but I thought I would pass it on for what it's worth seeing as there are so many reports of those errors. I have a feeling that many problems blamed on this great software are computer-related or user-related, which is not to say that PD9 does not have its "eccentricities", but I personally think it is getting a bum rap in some quarters (hope language is acceptable, Dafydd)

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2011 22:15

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

Yep, acceptable.

The vast majority of issue which I have answered on the forums here are user or pc related. That doesn't mean to say the program doesn't have faults on a particular set up. I have a couple of tower burners which are ideal for mass or small disc replication - far better than multi-burning using one drive. Thank you for sharing your experiences on disc burning and the way you resolved the problem - good info for many to read.

I'll make your post a "tip/info" for newbies to read.

Thanks

Dafydd

Link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/15082.page#81424

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2011 06:11

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Dafydd. This forum is a wealth of information for users, experienced, or newbie, like myself. You are doing a great job as moderator. I don't think that CL would have the customers that it has, were it not for the pros here helping get users past their various problems getting PD9 to work on their computers and learning the tricks to make PD9 really work for them. I am a very satisfied user.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Ronk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 06, 2011 17:35 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
I receive eC000002F when burning to a 4.7 GB DVD. I get this error at 21 percent into the authoring process. I can't find anyplace where I can set a slower burn speed in case that would help, but I don't even get to the burning process. Other projects burn just fine. Anything I can try?
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found how to change burn speed from 8 to 4, but it still fails at 21 percent into authoring.
garioch7
[Post New]
Ronk: Sorry to hear that you have been stricken with the dreaded "E-series burn error." I don't want or mean to be rude, but it would have been best to open a new topic with your exact error in the title, so that it could be searched, when the pros find the answer for you. That will help other new users.

It would be great if you could provide a screenshot of your workspace with the error showing, so the pros could have a look at what you are trying to do. Also, a dxdiag of your system would help. Some pcs are underpowered and just can't complete authoring.

Have you been able to Produce? What format are you trying to burn to? What are the format and specs of your source video and audio clips? How long?

Without that basic information, you are asking the pros (not me, I'm a newbie) to gaze into their crystal balls to try to figure out what might be the problem. They will help you, but they need information to try to isolate the cause.

PD9 is very fussy about all of your drivers being up-to-date. Also make sure that you are running the latest release of QuickTime. Since PD9 is failing during authoring, I am gazing into my cloudy crystal ball and thinking that your system might be underpowered, your drivers out of date, or one of the source files is corrupt. With some marginal hardware setups, people have had to produce short segments and assemble them together in a final project to get PD9 to burn. Don't forget that video editing is really resource intensive.

Can you burn/produce a simple video. Just drag some of the sample clips to your timeline and add some audio and see if you can successfully produce/burn that. If burning, use a DVD-RW disk, so you don't wind up with a coaster.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but PD9 is complex and powerful beast and the folks on this forum who want to help, will need to know a lot more to really assist you, and believe me, they want to get you up and running. They love the program, as do I, and have lots of workarounds for its "eccentricities."

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are correct, I did not provide much info. I am using PowerDirector Ultra 64 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit. I have Intel Core i7 CPU 920 (2.67 GHz) with 12 GB ram, and 4 TB external storage.

I found the solution by accident. I have two very similar projects, both with First play videos, menus, many titles and chapters. I burn 4.7 GB DVDs at 16:9 in HQ. I noticed that in the Create Disc panel, the Preview played my First play video in the project that burned with no problem, but the Preview did not play the First play video in the project that had the error. Let the wierdness begin:
The location of the First play videos shown in the Create Disc panel was identical for both projects.
I then hit the "remove first play video" button in the bad project and then "set first play video", tracing the directory tree to add it back in. I must stress that the original panel had already shown the correct location of that First play video.
That fixed the problem. Perhaps others with E-Series errors during the authoring process of the burn should try redefining the link to their First Play videos and perhaps their Background music link as well.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Ronk,

Thank you for the follow up.

The solution you found might be of interest to a lot of PD users. There has been a history of the 21% Burn Error.

It always seemed to relate to the menu creation. I have not seen your solution proposed before. Generally the persons either changed the menu selection or created the disc without menu.

Your solution might merit further testing to see if it might be a work around for many of the 21% burn errors/problems.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Although I don't often look into my Bookmarks for information I like to add various posts which are good to reference back to etc.
The additional input here by Ronk is one I have noted as a separate bookmark. Thank you for the observation and post.

I have seen similar problems and where duplication of discs has thrown up error messages.
Good thread, good posts.

thanks
Dafydd
ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
Where could i find the option to reduce burn speed?
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Where could i find the option to reduce burn speed?

Hi ClancM,

This link takes you to a Free Download of the superb PD9 Printed Tutorial. You'll see how to reduce burn speed and many more very useful tips...

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/events/enu/2011/Q1/pdr9-book/index.jsp

Enjoy!

-Allen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2011 22:07