Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
cannot launch resolution lower 1024 x 768 or connected to portrait monitor.
rp0156 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2013 17:00 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Does PhotoDirector have to be install on main C drive or can it be installed on 2nd internal drive?
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried on C drive
same problem DOES NOT launch, Same error message, will not open.
[Post New]
What you found in the registry editor is consistent with my PC. PhD does not appear under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink

PhD4 is referenced in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PhotoDirector4

I've never tried to install PhD or the Ultimate Suite on any drive other than C drive.

Could you please take a screen shot of your CyberLink Programs in Control Panel & post it as an attachment? PhD is not listed if you've installed it as part of the PowerDirector Suite. Example attached.

I know you've already uninstalled & re-installed, but I think it needs another shot. Not via Control Panel, but using a dedicated uninstaller to remove all registry traces.

Download Revo Uninstaller from http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
After installation run it to uninstall the whole Director Suite with the registry hunt set to "Moderate". In the registry window choose select all (bold items) & delete them.

Cold boot > Reinstall.

PhD was installed as part of Director Suite, yes?

PIX
[Thumb - CL_Programs.png]
 Filename
CL_Programs.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
240 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Photo Director is now on C drive
It was not installed with suite
Photo Director does not show in Registry
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
280 time(s)
[Thumb - PhotoDirector - Error .jpg]
 Filename
PhotoDirector - Error .jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
797 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
 Filename
Registry - PowerDirector.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
258 time(s)
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Photo Director does not show in user
 Filename
Registry - User.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
134 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
514 time(s)
[Post New]
I'm a little confused.

Quote: Have Power Director v11 ultimate suite.
programs open without any problems

then -
It was not installed with suite

So - you have PDR, CDR, ADR & PhD but you didn't install them as part of PowerDirector Ultimate Suite?

I'm afraid I am not qualified or able to analyse registry details to determine issues and, sadly, there don't appear to be too many other members responding!

Please try the complete uninstall/re-install method described above. Failing that, I'd suggest you submit a support ticket https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do

PIX PIX YouTube channel
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for trying to help. You have been most generous with your time.
Could it be related to win7 64?
problem still exists

Can anyone else help?
Thanks again,
RP
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Did you order directly form CYberlink? If so there should be a confirmation email with a link to download files there should be 3-4 download links in the email download all and install, I have a hunch you didn't install all files. I run PD ultimat on win 7 64 bit machine no problems.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Photo Director cannot launch resolution lower 1024 x 768 or connected to portrait monitor.
Program will not open

Photo Director won't open if your Monitor is set up to "Portrait" orientation. As a test I changed my monitor to 1920x1080 in Portrait orientation and tried opening Photo Director. It failed to open. I got the error message you described. (see attached).

Have you tried to change your monitor to "Landscape"? I know in your topic you stated that your monitor is set up to 1920x1080 Landscape. Do you have two monitors set up? One in landscape and one in Portrait? This I believe will also cause the error. I think I remember problems similar to this when trying to open Power DVD with two monitors in different orientations. Here are a couple of other topics with a launching problem:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10852.page#48473
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11259.page#52368

If you only have one monitor and it is set to 1920x1080 landscape then I would poke around in your monitor resolution settings. Maybe a second monitor is set up and not connected possibly causing the problem? In your monitor settings does the setup show only one primary monitor? I am not sure if windows could be tricked into having a second monitor setup with it being physically disconnected. But I would take a peek and confirm that your monitor settings show only one monitor connected, and set to landscape at 1920x1080. I am sure it is and this makes for an interesting puzzle to try to solve.

Just thought I would jump in and add some ideas.

EDIT: From rereading your post it sounds like PhotoDirector wouldn't open on two PC's with your 38" monitor attached? Correct? Can you troubleshoot using a different monitor? Check connecting cables at each end for bent pins, maybe it is a PC to monitor connection problem. Try a different cable?

Kevin
[Thumb - Portrait Error.png]
 Filename
Portrait Error.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
827 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
263 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 16. 2013 13:33

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
How about posting a DxDiag file to take a peek at.

Go to "RUN"
type in DxDiag
click OK
save results as a text file then attach.
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys for your replies.

I only have one monitor and it is set to 1920x1080 landscape. I did try changing the display setting back and forth. portrait & landscape. same error.
Also the install on older vista 32 bit PC OPENS and it is connected to the same single monitor and same display settings

Just will not open on new win7 64 PC
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
This sure is a tough one. The correct fix will surely be easy but so far is elusive. Someone will hopefully think of something.

Kevin
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
DxDiag file

Thanks
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Nothing jumps out on your DxDiag.

If I switch my monitor to Portrait, just trying to duplicate the opening errors to see if there is something common. I realize your monitor is set to landscape.

I can open Power Director 11
Power DVD 12...odd? don't know why
etc.

But I couldn't open Audio Director.....that gave me the same error as Photo Director.

Can you open Audio Director? Sounds like you have the program. Correct? If not, download the trial version and see if it opens or gives you the same error. If you CAN open Audio Director then it will focus the problem on the PhotoDirector program as being at fault. If you can't open Audio Director then it would seem to point at some type of problem that is pointing at a monitor resolution or portrait orientation that is false. Make sense?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 16. 2013 14:11

rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PhotoDirector OPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ON WIN 7 64 AT 125% TEXT SIZE BUT NOT AT 150%
The error message needs to say WILL NOT LAUNCH - DISPLAY TEST SIZE CANNOT BE SET TO 150%

MY MONITORS ARE 38" AND 42" THEY NEEDED THE LARGER TEXT SIZE

Thank you one and all for hanging in with me.
I so wanted to use this program. I have a lot of projects to do.

Thanks again,
rp

P.S. Tect Support - please increase text size to 150% in PhotoDirector
Thanks
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Good Job!!

I changed my font size to 150% and PhotoDirector wouldn't open, same error message!!

Glad that you stuck with it to figure it out for yourself. As you found out...making changes here and there on your system does make it difficult to narrow down the root cause of the problem. It ended up as being a difference on your system that made the difference.

I suppose we could have asked...."What changes have you made on your system that is not "Standard"? That would be difficult for anyone to answer because you could have made the change ages ago!!!

Nice work!! I learned something today!! THANKS!!!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2013 14:25

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
FWIW:

Audio Director DOES open with setting at 150%. Only Photo Director does not open at 150%.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Update:

I have been informed that Cyberlink was able to duplicate the issue.

A patch to fix the problem will be released late March or early April.

Kevin
rp0156 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again
Maybe this will be a help to others as we use larger and larger monitors.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I think everyone should be thanking you since you figured out the solution.

Could you add the word " Solved" in your topic header? That might help others if they also are experiencing the same problem.

Than you again!

Kevin
rsigmon24
Newbie Location: Princeton,West Virginia Joined: Aug 02, 2011 12:16 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I too am trying to launch Photdirector 4 for the first time and am getting the same screeen resolution error message. Photodirector does noteven try to launch. I am running windows 7 64 bit. GO MOUNTAINEERS !