Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 12 on Windows 8: HDCP does not work on AT Radeon HD despite latest path
[Post New]
I'm also dealing with the same problem. Note, I have a HD 6700 card though. I have been bouncing support ticket messages back and forth with CL. So far no luck. I have also spoken with DELL and they want me to reinstall Windows 8. I don't think I'll be doing that. Additionally I put a support ticket into AMD to see what they might do a couple of days ago. I've heard nothing back.

At this point, I'm getting very frustrated. I've tried trial versions of other applications and none of them seem to work except in one case. This is making me think it is video driver issue with AMD that is being seen through Windows 8. To AMD, I'm probably only one user having problems. It is helpful to see others having this issue and I hope CL will recognize this problem and communicate with AMD to fix this issue for CL's customers.

My state after upgrading to Win 8 was that I was hearing audio from the Blu-Ray menu of PowerDVD 9, but there was never any video showing. Thinking there was a compatibility error, I paid for the upgrade to PowerDVD 12. No change.
So I started my troubleshooting. I was using the original video driver from AMD (8.810). I upgraded to a later version (8.892) and then I started getting errors from CL. I used their BD Advisor and it said that my card was not recognized and my system no longer supported HDCP. So I downgraded back to my previous version and ran the Advisor. It did recognize the system card and HDCP. Very strange. So after contacting CL they asked me to install the latest drivers again. At first, I was like, "No way, I just did that." However, on Monday, they provided version 9.2.0.0. So I installed and ran BD Advisor. Still the same problem. CL asked that I make sure I get the latest patch this week. I did that and guess what? Yep, same problem.

So, what are we to do? Well I'm not sure. I paid the upgrade price to get PowerDVD 12, thinking it would solve the problem and I have spent hours and hours trying to make this work. I'm very disappointed with CL's inability to do phone support without me paying for it. It sure would make this quicker rather than corresponding through their support ticket approach. I'm just afraid that I'll spend nearly another $25 on top of the upgrade and still get no resolution.

I mentioned earlier that I found one specific way. Well it's not pretty. I returned my video driver to the original version (8.810) and downloaded a competing product. It worked 85% of the time. But when I upgraded again, the video driver, even that software quit working.

Pardon the rant. I'm tired, frustrated and I'm about to demand my money back. Here is wishing you all well. I hope they get it working for you. Best Wishes,
Keith
UweInside [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2012 05:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Here comes my DXDIAG file...

I use MiniDP to connect my display, but the same problem occures when I use DVI and a different monitor (See earlier post).

I agree with Keith - it's probably the AMD driver. It's the typical case where two vendors are involved and one blames the other. It's very frustrating.

Now that Windows 8 is on General Availabity and people can actually buy it in the stores, we'll start seeing the problem more often and I hope that eventually AMD and CL will stick their heads together and fix this.

@Micheal - thank you for investigating - I think you guys have to dig deeper and maybe escalate this issue. We've been paying big bucks and the official release note of the latest PowerDVD patch says "Windows 8 compatible".

Cheers,
Uwe
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
464 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2012 03:55

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
we cannot reproduce the isse on our side and looking for users able to provide remote debug.

Please contact me via PM to discuss details.

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
LarryB4 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2012 15:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Gentlemen, do you by chance have Hyper-V installed? I was having issues with "The video playback device does not support playback of protected content" in my install of Windows Media Center Pack. After updating uninstalling, re-installing....etc (the whole bit). I thought about it and decided to "remove" the Hyper-V feature. Note: I have not built any VMs yet. After the uninstall all the video errors stopped.
[Post New]
What even made you think of removing Hyper-V?!?!

You're right, it did make a difference. I am now seeing video. How very strange.

I would still like to use HyperV though and watch movies.

Okay, so the next step is for CyberLink to report this to Microsoft. I'll try doing something in their forums today, but Cyberlink should be able to open a support ticket directly with them and get this figured out for all of us.

Way to go LarryB4!!!!!! Best Wishes,
Keith
sotti [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2012 19:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I did indeed have hyper-v installed.

I pulled it off, but still no joy.

Where their any other steps you performed to solve your problem Larry?
sotti [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2012 19:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like after pulling Hyper-V, I do indeed get HDCP, but only over DVI.

Display Port HDCP still isn't working.
LarryB4 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2012 15:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Sotti, I may have uninstalled the ATI driver and reinstalled... I did so many installs uninstalls I always try to note what I do in steps but this was just driving me nuts. There must be an HDCP issue with the Hyper_v Graphics Drivers. Now I'm trying to get Dolby True HD to pass. I believe it's an EDID issue.

Good Luck!
CommieCanuck [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Aug 27, 2012 15:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I got it working after removing Hyper-V as well. Now that it's narrowed down I'm hoping this can be resolved with a patch.
vasu_m [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2012 22:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thank You LarryB4.
I was having the same problem after upgrading to Windows 8 with Hyper-V. Uninstalling Hyper-V solved the problem.
Using PowerDVD 11 on ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card and Sharp DT-400 projector. Graphics card and projector are HDCP ready. PowerDVD 11 was working fine until I enabled Hyper-V.
UweInside [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2012 05:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I also uninstalled Hyper-V and BD advisor now shows that "only" the display is incompatible. I am using MiniDP. Sadly, my Apple Cinema Display only has MiniDP, so I'm stuck. Very frustrating.

Uwe

--- EDIT ---

I tried to play some Blu-Rays (Ratatouille, Downton Abbey) despite BD advisor telling me it will not work. But it actually worked! Hurrah! I will test more Blu-Rays...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2012 13:10

David2112 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2012 08:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
Not sure if this has been sorted elsewhere?
I was getting the Error code - 0012 which said my ATI HD 7870 and IIyama E2407HDS were not HDCP compliant.
But I have found a fix which worked for me - I opened up AMD VISION Engine Control Center and looked at: My Digital Flat Panels - Properties - DVI Settings. The tick box for Alternate DVI operational mode was selected. By "Un-ticking" PowerDVD 12 Ultra now works fine!
Hope it helps!
alastair.Q [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2012 16:22 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that the Hyper-V platform on Windows 8 causes this problem on my machine as well. I have an ATI HD Radeon card as well.

Thanks to the dude who found this fix. Brilliant!
Richard [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2013 05:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried to use Slysoft's AnyDVD HD, that will help you with the HDCP?
Archon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2013 18:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
+1 for slysofts anydvdhd. You can get a 21 day trial.
using ati hd5670 on win 8 with power dvd12
I tried to play the watch last night and I got a message from 20th century fox that my blue ray drive needed a firmware update.
Also noted the disc has a little copy protection icon on it that working discs don't.
went to liteon site and downloaded the smartpack software that confirmed there was a new firmware version but wouldn't let me download it because the software craps out displaying loads of css information and saying it cant create a file in my docs (the filename is loads XHTML DTD code with a .exe suffix - seems smartpack isn't that smart)
tried to rule other things out so tried trial of corel blu ray software and still get the same issue.
checked the audio/play back devices properties for my hdmi connection and the supported formats tab is says that hdcp is not supported.

It also says this on my hd5830 on my win 7 pc. Tried Microsoft drivers and ATI drivers = no joy.

Saw webisode of some tech program on daily motion.com saying that hdcp issues are either a non compliant graphics card or TV. Apparently there are two ways to deal with it = they showed a physical adapter (which I haven't found anywhere yet) or suggested you try slysoft anydvdhd wich "makes the problem go away" but costs a fair amount of cash on yearly subscription.

I downloaded the trial of anydvdhd and yes = it made the problem go away and I can now play the disc fine.
which means the issue isn't firmware (glad I wasted a ton of time on that) and definitely can be fixed in software = so it would be awesome if ATI could address this in a driver update. (or cyberdvd could do something??)

hth - p.s. watching blu rays on pc is a none stop process of enjoyable troubleshooting so far - so fun!!