Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 Will Not Load At All
Ray06 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2008 09:28 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ray

Was PD8 running OK for you before all this?

Yes it was, I installed PD9 recently, it kept crashing so I tried re-install it and that was when my problem started.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Ok. I ran into the same problem. I got around it by removing PD using the control panel , cleaning the registry, reinstalling PD8. Win 10, i7
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
The thing that confuses me, is why PD8 will not run again. I would assume because of PD9 remnants in the registry. I do not use the control panel version way to remove programs. I have used Revo uninstaller and CCleaner (both free) for years. I install and uninstall software on this thing every day sometimes several times a day.

You could have also restored your computer to the time before you installed PD9. But that may be too late now. I can usually go back up to 3 weeks. (have increased the size of my restore partition some, I do not recommend it has potential for disaster on some machines) And have done so many time too when I have uninstall problems with some software.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2011 10:51

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
MJBNYC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 12:05 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I re-installed QuickTime as suggested, but it didn't help. I also tried to update the driver on my video card, but Windows told me I am already using the most up-to-date driver. Hard to belive as it is from 2009. Any other suggestions? I can't believe I can't even get the program to load from a fresh install.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
NEVER believe windows on drivers, check with the video card manufacturer's web site. If on laptop, you might have to go to laptop's web site. Windows is usually 2-3 generations behind for ATI based cards. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. Great advice.

I updated every driver I could (about 15) on my Dell Optiplex 960. I even updated the BIOS. A long overdue tune up. It doesn't appear though, that I can update the driver for the video card any further. I went to the AMD site and the Dell site. It appears I have the lastest.

I uninstalled PowerDirector and re-installed it. Same problem. The logo loads, then crashes. I never see the inside of the program.

I know I have a low end video card, which I plan to update, but I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks just to see if I can get the program to load.

Any suggestions to get this program to load are appreciated. If I can get in and play with it, it will serve as a good impetus to upgrade the card.

I'm attaching another dxdiag in case it reveals more info post the driver updates.

Truly appreciate the help. I read such good things about this program.

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
675 time(s)
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I am wondering if your graphics card might be the source of the problem. The PD9 requirements URL is below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_CA.html

I don't see the Radeon HD3450 card as being supported, unless it is considered an "HD2600 and above."

The other possibility would be a codec issue, but I am not an expert on those. Based on recommendations I have seen in this forum, I installed the FFDshow codec pack, which you can Google and obtain for free.

With the exception of the video card, your computer should be capable of handling PD9 from what I can see. Perhaps the hardware pros will have more erudite suggestions.

It is really discouraging when you can't even get the program to load, so I hope someone comes up with a definitive answer for you. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the advice.

I am beginning to believe it may be the video card, although I would think (and hope) that the PD9 would generate a error message or something instead of just crashing. I downloaded and installed the codecs, but that didn't work.

I have other Cyberlink products on my PC that work just fine. I even uninstalled all of those, re-installed PD9, but no luck.

Interestingly enough, my trial period continues to expire. I wonder if I will get it to load before it does.

Microsoft Movie Maker is looking better and better. I tried Adobe Premiere Elements. It was truly awful.

Truly appreciate everyone's advice and help.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Sorry that you are still not successful in getting PD9 to load. From what I have read on this forum, PD9 does not display an error message if there are insufficient computer resources for it to properly launch. It just doesn't load, as you are experiencing.

Sorry to hear that you may abandon the wonderful world of PD9. It is an awesome product for the price, but, of course, it is not of much use to you if you can't successfully launch the app.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Phil. Based on all the reviews, it is indeed a great product and one I hope to use.

When you say insufficent resources, does that refer to the video card memory, RAM or both. I have 8GB of RAM, but only 512MB of video memory.

If you belive it's all related to the video card, I guess I'll need to take the plunge and upgrade the card. I'm fresh out of ideas. Interestingly, I haven't heard a thing from Cyberlink tech support. My post to them on 30 March is still out there. Thank God for forums.

Appreciate the help.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Update:
Online support is struggling at the moment to respond adequately - they are swamped.

The PD9 forum has seen a 50% increase on PD8 forum since the launch of PD9.

Members do their best to give help, it'll be your turn soon to help others I encourage inexperienced members to have a go at answering posts, from my experience it is the best way to test yourself and to get to know PD. Please try.

Thanks
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2011 12:51

MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. Well understood. I am convinced PD9 is the right product for me, so I'll continue to follow the great advice I'm getting here and wait for the techs at Cyberlink to weigh in. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Thanks again for the update.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Start up issues are resolved as mentioned by Phil - PC system spec is so often the root of the problem for would be editors. You need to read the spec minimums and be way above those.

I would also recommend you read the ReadMe, see link http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16530.page
Other links are in my "signature".

from my experience, the problem you have is system based and is only fixable at your end.

Sorry.
Dafydd
MJBNYC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, thanks for all your help. You were exactly right, the problem was on my end. I did end up purchasing a new video card, but it arrived today and I haven't installed it yet. I tried re-installing the latest video driver (for the fourth time) from Dell and this time it work. PowerDirector launched for the first time -- I have 8 days left on my trial copy. I still plan to install the new card (it's a EVGA 9500 GT with 1GB of memory).

I truly appreciate the help and feedback of everyone that posted a reply to my problem.

Best to all.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Get the newest drivers for your video card directly from the card manufacturer. The ones from Dell will be too old already.

I did not see what your OS is so here is the start page for drivers for your new card.

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link