Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 Ultra blu ray playback occasional stutter...
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
Posted a reply to the Technical Support team request above and thought I would copy the information here...

I understand that you are using CyberLink PowerDVD and unable to play Blu-ray disc.
To clarify the Blu Ray disc starts and plays but will stutter (audio stops, video stops, audio and video stops, Blu Ray drive stops reading consistently, random times) after it happens if i back up to the begining of that chapter it reads from cached copy that plays near perfect untill it reaches the point where i backed up then a slight pause and Blu Ray drive stars reading again untill the next failure.

I would request you to provide me below mentioned information:

1. DxDiag.txt log file
Was provided last time but here is a fresh one attached

2. CollectUserInfo.cab attached

3. Let me know your graphics card's brand and model.
was provided last time but here is it again
Gigabyte GV-N460OC2-1GI (Nvidia Geforce Gtx 460)

4. Let me know the model number of your display device (monitor) you are using.
TX-SR605 (Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR)
Mitsubishi MEUSPTV3 (WD-52725)

5. Snap shot of the error message.
There is NEVER an error message when this happens

6. Let us know how you are making connections to display device [The connection of DVI or HDMI (DVI-2-HDMI, HDMI-2-DVI, or another converter if used)].
HDMI (MiniHDMI on video card to HDMI input 1 at AVR)
HDMI (HDMI output on AVR to HDMI input at TV)

7. Let me know the BD disc titles you are trying to play, with their region/country code. Make sure that, you are able to browse the disc, using Windows Explorer/Computer.
All of my Blu Ray disc can be browsed under windows explorer
All of my Blu Ray discs have this problem at some point in time during the playback (trailers, bonus video, and even movie)
I am only going list part of my Blu Ray collection for now if you need others let me know...
Alice In Wonderland 3D Combo Pack 3d Blu Ray and Blu Ray Region A
Tangled 3D Combo Pack 3d Blu Ray and Blu Ray Region A
Blurlesque Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
Dispicable Me Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
How to Train Your Dragon Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaur (3) Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasue (2) Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue (3) Combo Pack Blu Ray Region A
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well TS replied today and I am not supprised with what they had to say...

Dear Larry,

Thank you for writing back.

I would like to inform you that, you are using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 and the drivers installed on your computer is the date of 1/7/2011, I would request you to please log-on to nVidia update your drivers to the latest month.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav
CyberLink Technical Support

Sadly i am using the latest drivers from nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

GeForce/ION Driver Release 265
Version: 266.58 WHQL
Release Date: 2011.01.18
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 101 MB

I have tried a few beta's and they behave the same way. So i will try to be polite with TS when i write, but does anybody have suggestions on dealing with these people?
Or maybe a suggestion that works for my problem that gives me HD audio bitstream?

BTW Beachman I am using the older 258.96 driver with DTS/Dolby bitstream and so far it seems to be working. I haven't gotten through a lot of blu rays yet, but i do miss the HD AUDIO.

I tried to be nice and here is my reply to TS
The latest official WHQL drivers from NVIDIA are the ones I am using...
GeForce/ION Driver v266.58 WHQL 266.58 January 18, 2011

They have 2 BETA drivers and I have tried them and experience the same issues when trying to play blu rays.
GeForce/ION Driver v267.24 BETA 267.24 March 1, 2011
GeForce/ION Driver v270.51 BETA 270.51 March 30, 2011

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 07. 2011 17:54

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Larry,

sorry to hear your issue is not solved yet.

I would like to ask you to do this and report the result:

1. remove the virutal drive
2. update to v2701
3. use 24 or 23,97 Hz Display refresh rate instead of 60
3. test with physical BD disc

If you still can see jitter/unsmooth please let me know

Br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 03:43

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Dear Larry,

sorry to hear your issue is not solved yet.

I would like to ask you to do this and report the result:

1. remove the virutal drive
2. update to v2701
3. use 24 or 23,97 Hz Display refresh rate instead of 60
3. test with physical BD disc

If you still can see jitter/unsmooth please let me know

Br
Michael

I will do as you asked, but i need to point out some facts..
1) my early testing and logs show no virtual drive and i still had the problem, but i will create new more recent ones and prove the virtual drive no longer exists
2) i have had this installed before and it behaved the same way, but I will certainly grab reports with it installed since I have not done that yet really
3) I have scoured my TV manual and it does not support 24 or 23 hz display rates from what i can see what do you suggest here since 60hz seems my only option.
4) testing with a physical BD disc is not an issue, but the problem still exhisted and i will create new reports that back this up.

Thanks for the feedback and I will do get to my reporting tonight yet, but please inform me your thoughts ont he 60hz issue bolded above.

As mentioned in item 3 above here are some details that i have confirmed now that i am physically home with the TV. 1280x720P is max native resolution. It supports this only at 60hz. This TV does NOT support 1080P and thus that also rules out 1080P 24hz. I will not be able to run the 24hz test you have requested.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2011 09:13

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD full Version
PowerDVD 10 Mark II Version 10.0.2701.51
PowerDVD Trial Verison?
online retail purchase Mark II Ultra version
PowerDVD SR Number (when click on "CyberLink in left top - SR NUMBER IS NOT THE CD-KEY!!)
DVD110221-01
PowerDVD TR Number (if shown)
TR110301-018
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version)
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit SP1
Do you use administrator or restricted user account?
Administrator
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW?
online retail purchase Mark II Ultra version
Used VGA
Gigabyte GV-N460OC2-1GI Nvidia Geforce Gtx 460
Used VGA driver version
266.58_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql
Used Audio device
NVIDIA HDMI
Used Audio device driver version
HD Audio driver version 1.1.13.1 (266.58_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql)
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices)
(current system setting) (Use HDMI), TX-SR605-1 (NVIDIA High Defintion Audio)
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version)
LG SATA HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS30 Firmware 1.00
Used Display(s)
TX-SR605 (Onkyo TX-SR605 AVR)
Mitsubishi MEUSPTV3 (WD-52725)
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI)
HDMI (MiniHDMI to HDMI at video card to AVR)
HDMI (HDMI to HDMI at AVR to TV)
Whcih Display refresh rate do you use while Playback (24/25/50/60/120/...)
Are you using single or dual monitor environment
single
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display)
not using
(3D only) Please provide detail info about 3D setting in PowerDVD
not using
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using
none, even windows 7 default windows defender is forced off
Please also add your DXDIAG log to the post (as attachement)
attached
Please add the BD-3D Advisor log to the post (as attachement)
attached
The detailed issue description
Windows media center from windows 7
7.1 audio windows 7
7.1 audio winodw media center
720p windows 7
720p windows media center
PowerDVD loaded through windows media center interface, aka special PowerDVD 10 cinema mode.
started blu ray movie, went to powerdvd settings, enabled HD audio bitstreaming, stopped movie, rebooted computer!
Started windows media center, started powerdvd, started dispicable me blu ray region a.
Dispicable Me Blu Ray Region A
Times are esitmates and gathered after the problem occured by pressing up arrow on remote and noting the active movie timeline.
1hr 4 minutes audio dropped, no video disturbance
1hr 17 minutes audio dropped, video stutter!
1hr 18 minutes audio dropped, video stutter!
1hr 25 minutes audio dropped, video paused!
movie finished, stopped powerdvd, stopped media center, gathered requested information.

Started windows media center again, selected powerdvd, started the blu ray again.
Used the time line to pick about 54 minutes into the movie, confirmed movie was playing from blu ray and not a cached copy.
There was NO audio loss and video stutter leading me to believe it was not a disc reading error of any kind during the initial playback.

Started windows media center again later in the day, selected powerdvd, started the blu ray again.
The Princess Frog Blu Ray Region A
No easy access to timeline
Audio drops, lights on AVR like its trying to detect signal or signal dropped.
So far 5x in the first 30 minutes of the movie.
The remainder of the movie kept having issues also. One thing i noticed was on this movie the video would play fine, but the audio would stop being sent to the avr! I would guess it happened another 20 times for the remainder of the movie. The family would not let me keep up the information box or i would have somewhat close time stamps. This blu ray did not have a built in timeline like the previous one.
Frankly the family is sick and tired of me always working on this solution for blu ray playback and i am loosing faith in this solution every actually working 100%.
I had one thing i haven't seen before. The video paused and then the audio stopped. I haven't seen this type of activity since PDVD 9 ultra. This happened 1 time during the movie all the rest of the times it was the complete oposite.

Can you reproduce any of this?
 Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_LONGPLAYMCE-PC_2011_04_09_10_47_29.html
[Disk]
 Description
BD Advisor 3D report
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
540 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag3220110409cst1045.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag 32bit 20110409 1045cst
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)
 Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_LONGPLAYMCE-PC_2011_04_09_10_47_14.html
[Disk]
 Description
BD Advisor report
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
596 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2011 19:49

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
So far DVD playback is doing well. I am not having any stuttering and lip sync issues. If i could only get my blu ray playback with HD audio bit streaming working this well.

Yes the family decided today would be a blu ray free day of video playback enjoyment. Sorry no blu ray testing today.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
I too am having stuttering/ freezing video and audio! It's the newest update! Long ago I had this same problem with stuttering and freezing and it went away with a new update to power DVD 10 ultra mark ii. Now this current 2701 update all my blu rays skip. Very sad
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I too am having stuttering/ freezing video and audio! It's the newest update! Long ago I had this same problem with stuttering and freezing and it went away with a new update to power DVD 10 ultra mark ii. Now this current 2701 update all my blu rays skip. Very sad

Are you running Ati or Nvidia?

I have seen it with 2325, 2429, and 2701 regged with current Nvidia drivers and HD audio bitstreaming.
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
i am running Nvidia gtx 580 with 266.58 drivers
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: i am running Nvidia gtx 580 with 266.58 drivers

If you are not trying to use HD audio bistreaming to external receiver you can downgrade your video to 258.96. You may see an instant improvement depending on the type of video encoding that was used for the titles you are having issues with. Now i also realize with a GTX 580 that driver may not even contain a true video driver for your particular card.

Beachman has pointed out there is known issue with video decoding of certain formats on the nvidia forums since the 258.96 release.

If you would provide more information about your system, dxdiag, and what your trying to accomplish based on this thread we could compare.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes Larry I've been using HD bitstreaming audio from my creative labs audigy 2 zs to a 5.1 multichannel out into my high end yamaha receiver. So we are clear im using all analog out of the computer, no hmdi at all.

Whats sad is that I have this monstrous gaming computer with the full capabilities of an hdcp home theater set up, and i can't even play smooth blu-ray playback.

In terms of drivers updated everything is up to date because the fact that i do play games. Also have the latest sound drivers for my audigy card. And to answer your question in an earlier post it doesn't show my card on this list for power dvd, but for the good 6-8 months everything was fixed so i know its not my sound card drivers but could be colliding somewhere with my video drivers. From my recollection i did long ago figure out that the nvidia driver update fixed my issue with skipping video/freezing/audio pausing. And now it has started up again. I guess i can't having everything with this pc

Right now my nvidia driver is 270.51 beta. I realize video skips and sound pauses with this one, but it paused with also the latest whql driver and still persists with the stutter.

Also can you confirm if any problems with installing ie 9 may have caused something like this?

I will provide the dxdiags both 32 and 64 versions hopefully we can fix this issue because all this stuttering/freezing takes away from the whole experience of watching movies with hd sound.

THanks
 Filename
DxDiag32.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
319 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 11. 2011 19:14

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Manoird
From what your describing your are not using the NVIDIA HDMI audio to bitstream. Since this is true I would downgrade to the 258.96 WHQL driver as this video driver seems to be the best for video playback smoothness. I am sorry some of your games may hate you for this.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html
Beachman approved
This is my best playback for video also. The 270.51 driver is better than the 266.58 for me, but i can't for stuttering in blu rays with HD audio bitstreaming over nvidia hdmi.

If you are never planning to use the HDMI audio i have seen a few posts on the NVIDIA forums saying to uninstall or not even bother installing the HDMI audio driver with the latest drivers as it caused issues with onboard audio i thought.

I know what you mean. I feel my pc is above and beyound the minimum playback requirements, games play nicely, and a stupid blu ray plays like arse.

So far my IE9 is not on my main media center PC yet. I found a little bug where PowerDVD did not load under under Windows Media Center under Windows 7 with IE9 installed. Uninstall IE9 and the WMC could load PowerDVD better.

Some things are not matching up as i would expect in the cyberlink area. Are you using PowerDVD ulta 10 2701?
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again Larry and Beachman, thanks for youre replies. Much appreciated! I did try the driver you mentioned but unfortunately that driver only works up to the gtx 400 series cards. It shut the install down on me. Bummer.

So i guess im out of luck...

Oh and yes I am using power DVD 10 ultra mark ii. With the latest update 2701

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2011 12:21

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

to narrow down the issue I would like to ask you to do some tests:

1. connect to the TV directly and also use Audio of the TV (no external or onboard audio - please use HDMI Audio)

2. set the Display refresh rate to 24 / 23 and check again if the jitter persists.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

1. connect to the TV directly and also use Audio of the TV (no external or onboard audio - please use HDMI Audio)

2. set the Display refresh rate to 24 / 23 and check again if the jitter persists.

Br
Michael

Michael these instructions are for Manoird right?
Beachman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2011 09:31 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

Br
Michael

I'll try that, and I will confirm later.

FYI
I have no stuttering issues in Media Center with live-TV or DVD playback at 50hz and onboard SPDIF.
Both I and manoroid has posted our issues on Nvidia forum too as we don't know if the problem is related to PowerDVD or Nvidia drivers...
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=197765
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well Larry and Beachman I think i have fixed the problem and now there is no skipping and pausing of audio. To tell you the truth my setup sounds even better than if ever did.

What i did was i have had my soundblaster audigy 2 zs set to 24 bit 4800hz/ Studio quality in the win 7 speaker options/ advanced tab, for some odd reason that setting should work fine with the hd audio over multi channel analog.

So then i decided to bump it up one setting to 24 bit, 9600 hz studio quality and there is no more skipping / pausing.

And like i said on a more positive note my hd audio sounds even more of an hd clarity! My card is almost 6-8 years old and it performs at the top of its class.

I'm hoping this can help you guys and give others some insight on fixing this problem/glitch what ever you want to call it. I'm not going anywhere. I definitely want others to now enjoy there media center setups! I'll provide any insight where i can. Let me know guys! Thanks again for you're assitance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2011 21:30

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Manoird you are going to hate me, but would you mind posting a new DXDiag and BD Advisor log?

I would like to compare to your previous uploads to see if it indicates the changes you applied and nothing extra.

I remember with my HDMI HD audio i left things default and even forced a higher quality audio. This seemed to only affect windows and my bitstreaming of the HD audio. I will definetly keep your findings in mind and try a few different settings.

Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
lol sure thing man!

oh and one other thing, i noticed that if i uncheck the signal enhancements in the speaker properties/ advanced menu i got stuttering. So have it enabled!
 Filename
DxDiag32.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
360 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Manoird

Well a few things changed on you from your previous directx report. It looks like you may have rebooted or reapplied the latest 2701 patch. Now your files match mine where they were not before.

Sadly the change you indicated to be the deal breaker is not indicated in the report. I find it odd that extra options like that are not included in the report and will look closer later.

Also for some reason it almost looks like a portion of your registery was corrupt and is now fixed maybe dealing with your Game Port on the audio card. All the drivers were loading it seems, but the name was not present which is odd.

You reinstalled the video card drivers it seems.

I believe these new files from cyberlink may have also helped your situation.

Sorry i wanted to make a nice chart, but didn't find the code fast enough for this forum.

now was
Display Devices Display Devices
Driver Strong Name: oem20.inf Driver Strong Name: oem26.inf
System Devices System Devices
Name: Creative Game Port Name:
DirectShow Filters DirectShow Filters
CyberLink DVD Navigator (PDVD10),0x00200000,0,3,CLNavX.ax,8.01.0000.2 CyberLink DVD Navigator (PDVD10),0x00200000,0,3,CLNavX.ax,8.01.0000.2129
CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD10),0x00201000,1,1,Claud.ax,8.04.0000.35 CyberLink Audio Decoder (PDVD10),0x00201000,1,1,Claud.ax,8.04.0000.3420
CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD10),0x00602000,2,3,CLVsd.ax,8.04.0000 CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD10),0x00602000,2,3,CLVsd.ax,8.04.0000.1913
CyberLink HAM Decoder,0x00600000,0,1,CLCvd.ax,1.00.0000.2610 CyberLink HAM Decoder,0x00600000,0,1,CLCvd.ax,1.00.0000.2229
CyberLink Tzan Filter (PDVD10),0x00200000,1,1,CLTzan.ax,3.05.0000.382 CyberLink Tzan Filter (PDVD10),0x00200000,1,1,CLTzan.ax,3.05.0000.3426
CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10),0x00200000,1,2,CLCvd.ax,1.00.0000.26 CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD10),0x00200000,1,2,CLCvd.ax,1.00.0000.2229
Cyberlink Demuxer 2.0,0x00200000,1,1,CLDemuxer2.ax,2.00.0006.2518 Cyberlink Demuxer 2.0,0x00200000,1,1,CLDemuxer2.ax,2.00.0006.2123

The gameport name change probably made no difference, but odd it changed.
The video driver is using the same files so probably made no difference.
The cyberlink files probably did make a difference for you!
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got a new reply from the TS group today and it is somewhat similar to what Michael asked feedback on, so i will move forward on it. I won't be able to fully complete the 23 or 24 test as my TV only supports 60 hz.

There is one problem with both of these tests and I might take a step further. Removing the AVR removes the HD Audio as my TV only supports 2 channel audio over the hdmi (need to confirm). I may do an additional test of leaving the AVR connected, but reducing the HD audio to standard DTS/Dolby bitstreaming and even PCM. i have a gut feeling this may reduce some of the issue.

I do agree beachman there seems to be an underlying video issue that i have reported to nvidia that is not present in the older 258.96 drivers, but I wonder if i can get near perfect playback with the current drivers 266.58.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196709&st=120&p=1217412&#entry1217412

"Thank you for writing back.

I would request you to please provide me below mentioned information:

1. Is the issue persists on both in the standard (classic) mode and cinema mode?

2. What happened if its play back BD's with direct connections to his display and speaker? - no AVR connected.

Let me know the information.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/support-login.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav
CyberLink Technical Support"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2011 09:53