Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"you must update cyberlink powerDVD to continue playback of this content"
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
I have windows 7 64 bit and powerdvd 9 ultra retail.

I have done many installs while trying to perfect my playback. I have never encountered such a cycle of updates as of yet, but i tend to follow these steps....

Install audio driver
install video driver
install powerdvd retail
reboot
run powerdvd retail as administrator (right click exe and run as admin)
enter my key
register while its running as admin
reboot
now i have already downloaded the latest patch from the support site
run the latest patch was 2528 for pdvd 9 ultra retail as administrator (right click exe and run as admin)

I only have had 1 movie prompt me for aacs key updates in the 40+ installs i have done in the past 6 months...
I would be curious if these steps help.. I would guess the biggest part is running as administrator at least the first time.
The rest of the time i use MCE interface to play my movies and my problems are beyound cycle update issues.
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2010 12:06 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that they did Kenny. They have also ignored the official ticket I sent with the ridiculous amount of information they requested.

What error do you get when you try to install the patch whilst offline?
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I would also like to add I have just tried this via power DVD in windows medias centre and now see the errors AACS License Key Update
An important component of CyberLink PowerDVD requires periodic updates. New movies may not play back if the component is not updated now. Would you like to update now? - (Error Code = 0024) Yes / No.

This is the same as another user has had in a previous post. Is there some patch I can download and install manually for this?

I remember one time trying to force my keys to update. I stumbled on the link below.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp
Basically what it looks to do is detect your software and provide the proper patch. Personally I just use the updates page. Either way be sure not to run it and select SAVE. It will be a slow download from this site. When it has finished downloading I highly suggest running the EXE as administrator even if your account has administrator privledges.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I did that, its actually the 2201 patch that that site reccomends that I am currently running. It doesn't actually let you download any kind of key update. Just an older patch.
BHAVIK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2010 09:34 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Some good news for you all! I seem to have got it working!

Heres my steps if any of you want to try.

1) Uninstall PowerDVD
2) Reboot
3) Install power DVD 9
4) Try to play a blu-ray, it will give you a message asking you to update and take you to an IE page where you can download version 2201. Download and save this somewhere safe.
5) Close power DVD
6) Completley disconnect from the internet ie unplug your cable or turn off wireless
7) Install the 2201 patch.
Try to play a blu-ray you will see the crap error message we were all getting forcing you to update. Click NO.
9) Without closing PowerDVD click play again. As if by magic the blu-ray will start. It seems by saying no and installing whilst offline you get around the farcical update.

I have managed to make this persist after a full shutdown and when connected to the internet so it seems to be a 1 time thing. However do NOT under any circumstances install any later patches when prompted. I did just to play devils advocate and hard to start all over again with those 9 steps.

Hope this helps

good info there...i just got my refund on PD 10Ultra because of this persisting problem...sent of all my pc info to cyberlink tech support and havent heard from them for a good month now. The last message i got was 'I have sent your information and problem to our more technical support team' thats it!

I downloaded PD8 BD OEM and an update for it and it been working for a month or so, until now for some reason...also i found that if you update with the newer version of their websites it stops the player from working....how F***king useless!
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yep, I did that, its actually the 2201 patch that that site reccomends that I am currently running. It doesn't actually let you download any kind of key update. Just an older patch.

I was updating my system with newer video and audio drivers today so i went ahead and blew away my pdvd9 ultra install. nvidia 257.21 whql and realtek R4.29

I agree that link wanted me to download 2201... so i did. I also installed trying to break it.
I also went back to the same page it said i was all up date ROFL.
I proceeded to the support site...
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html
Grabbed 2528 for pdvd9 ultra since i know if i didn't install it someone would pop in 2012 blu ray and say its broken.

Was there a particular title that it did this on? i cant remember which of movies did this back when i was testing. I am going through something in and see if i get the looping upgrade aacs.
BHAVIK [Avatar]
[Post New]
does this problem presist with the new pd 9 ultra 2528 update....? in the steps 1-9
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Yep, I did that, its actually the 2201 patch that that site reccomends that I am currently running. It doesn't actually let you download any kind of key update. Just an older patch.

I was updating my system with newer video and audio drivers today so i went ahead and blew away my pdvd9 ultra install. nvidia 257.21 whql and realtek R4.29

I agree that link wanted me to download 2201... so i did. I also installed trying to break it.
I also went back to the same page it said i was all up date ROFL.
I proceeded to the support site...
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html
Grabbed 2528 for pdvd9 ultra since i know if i didn't install it someone would pop in 2012 blu ray and say its broken.

Was there a particular title that it did this on? i cant remember which of movies did this back when i was testing. I am going through something in and see if i get the looping upgrade aacs.

I am just back to say the only complaining window i got was about using the mouse with bdj. I will find that option and disable it.
I did not have the aacs window pop up on alice in wonderland disney remake.
I will now try my avatar. Both of these are blu rays.
KYLE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2010 17:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello. I have had this problem for several months - and have done everything. I have never been able to run ANY BLU-RAY since it began.

THe solutions here dont work for me.

Good luck with trying to get support out of Cyberlink

It is impossible im sure to get a refund as well.

BHAVIK [Avatar]
[Post New]
very sensible....now im coming up with a solution useing torrents untill i gain my confidence in spending £60 on some blu-ray dvd software which i never kenw why i did in the first place.

Cyberlink are officially pants
KYLE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2010 17:45 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Agreed.

Cyberlink software has just been entirely deleted from my system and will never appear on it again.

Out $50, but lesson learned.

Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Whilst I see your point larry this is NOT in any way shape or form related to graphics or audio drivers. As you can see from my first post this issue has occured for me on a brand new install of Windows 7 (it was working fine on my 2.5 year old vista install) that already had the very latest nvidia and creative drivers available installed before powerDVD even so much as graced my OS.

It is purely a glitch to do with the AACS updates that seems to happen at random.

For me this problem happened on EVERY dvd. I have to admit, I will never be buying cyberlink software again either.
BHAVIK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cant u get a refund...i didnt even get a hard copy and they agreed to refund a digital copy i was surprised.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Whilst I see your point larry this is NOT in any way shape or form related to graphics or audio drivers. As you can see from my first post this issue has occured for me on a brand new install of Windows 7 (it was working fine on my 2.5 year old vista install) that already had the very latest nvidia and creative drivers available installed before powerDVD even so much as graced my OS.

It is purely a glitch to do with the AACS updates that seems to happen at random.

For me this problem happened on EVERY dvd. I have to admit, I will never be buying cyberlink software again either.

No i totally agree with the fact that it shouldn't be driver related. I had just recently noticed new drivers for my hardware and this was the day i picked to take the plung to see if it fixed my playback issues. I just thought i would go a step further and try to make my install do the continual aacs like yours. I was not able to reproduce it, but i at least checked my own suggestions. Something i feel the real techinical support does not even do.
I have never tried the software on vista so i can not comment there.
I have been running the nvidia 197.45 since its whql release, but my audio chipset is different than yours. i have gone through one pdvd9 ultra licencese and had to request another due the countless installs and fresh OS installs trying to figure out my problems and powerdvd problems....
I wanted another nvidia user active and was hoping to get you working on the latest version so i could see if you have the same playback issues i get, but thats dang hard to do with the aacs upate bug your encountering at the momment.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDVD full Version 9.0.2528.51
PowerDVD SR Number DVD091203-02
Operating System Windows 7 64bit
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Full retail version
Used VGA nVidia 8800GTX
Used VGA driver version 197.45
Used Audio device X-fi Xtreme Gamer
Used Audio device driverversion 2.18.13
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI) DVI
Are you using singel or dual monitor environment Dual
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display) Extended
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using Avast free
The detailed issue description See origional post

You know i was just looking at this again and i see DUAL display with EXTENDED mode. Call me crazy and i must ask cause i dont see it mentioned yet. If you fresh boot to a single display does the aacs still misbehave? I can't see that this should be an issue but that is the number ONE issue TS harrases me about. They always want me on a single display with no clone or extended mode active. Just a crazy thought. All of the tests i have done have always been single display mode and maybe thats why i didn't encounter this.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did actually try that and unfortunately it was still the same

I did try most of what you have tried before realising it was an aacs problem as powerdvd doesnt actually identify the problem. Its only when i tried using it in media centre as a last ditch effort that you get a version of the error message with more detail pointing it at the aacs keys.

Before that i tried re-installing graphics / audio drivers, changing to a single display, turning off UAC completley and re--installing it all from scratch. None of it worked
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I did actually try that and unfortunately it was still the same

I did try most of what you have tried before realising it was an aacs problem as powerdvd doesnt actually identify the problem. Its only when i tried using it in media centre as a last ditch effort that you get a version of the error message with more detail pointing it at the aacs keys.

Before that i tried re-installing graphics / audio drivers, changing to a single display, turning off UAC completley and re--installing it all from scratch. None of it worked

Not a problem i just was trying to look at things we have different. Please keep in mind i am not cyberlink technical support. I am just a stupid person who was blinded and bought into powerdvd. One thing that bugs me is the report of a fresh install to a new fresh os doing the same thing. My problem i have been working on has done the same crap of even behaving the same way on a new fresh format. If you want to post some of the information you provided to TS I could compare it to my somewhat working configuration to see if we can figure out something. The one I would be interested in comparing would be the collectuserinfo.cab if you ran that tool from the forums. As far as TS goes i have gone upwards of a week before i got an answer to my problem. I so far believe the windows 7 compatibility report at cyberlink is a joke.

You can find a list of my blu rays at my problem post. I would like to know if you have any of these and they give you the aacs problem.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11350.page

I have windows 7 64 bit enterprise fresh format and install (not upgrade from previous os). I notice you say you upgraded from vista to windows 7 and everything worked under vista. Which vista version and bit version were you using before? Which windows 7 version and bit version are you using now? Was this really an upgrade from previous os or a fresh format and install with no ties to the old os?

Another thing as i reread all of this post is the base install and test blu ray. My base install is PowerDVD9_Ultra.1501_DVD090205-03_R2_Retail full version not upgrade what is yours? When i was trying to just make my pdvd9 work at all, i used to install base, play dvd, play blu ray get aacs sometimes. I tried different combinations. The thing that has worked best for me is just installing, activating, and patching to the latest with no in between. Sadly since i never experienced this loop in all my installs there has to be something causing it that i haven't encountered yet.

Personally it doesn't supprise me that anydvd hd will allow the movies to play with no aacs nags. I believe they have problems with their software and 64 bit windows 7. If you are like me you paid for it and it should work since they claim it does.

I have been looking at some of the same posts you have and this seems to be a problem that can affect vista or windows 7. This also seems to affect powerdvd 9 and powerdvd 10... No surprise there they slipped in some code that doesn't work.

Last but not least i am sure you are tired of doing their work for them. I can try to help you with what i have learned about their "best blu ray experience" software If you want to stop playing forumn tag let me know with a pm.

Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went from Vista Professional to 7 Professional, both were the 64 bit varients, it was a compltely fresh install on a new hard drive (the only bit of hardware that changed at all).

I actually tried installing my old version of powerdvd 8 and the trial of 10, amusingly they ALL gave the exact same pattern, my problem also wasn't isolate to just one blu-ray, I tried Next, Die Hard 4, Transformers 1 & 2, Cloverfiled, I am Legend, a couple of the Harry potters, all giving the same error.

What makes it amusing is Die Hard 4 is one of the first blu-rays I got and the reason I purchased powerdvd, I know for a fact this blu-ray plays fine with the basic install as thats all I had at first when I tried it, it never asked me to update the keys then as its quite an old film now. It seems to be powerdvd that decidees it needs the keys updating, rather than anything on the disc.

I'm not sure what the base install of mine is unfortunately and I'm not overly comfortable posting my collectuser I'm afraid, a little to much info on there for my liking, I even had a read of its output before sending it to ts to see just how much it was giving them.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I went from Vista Professional to 7 Professional, both were the 64 bit varients, it was a compltely fresh install on a new hard drive (the only bit of hardware that changed at all).

I actually tried installing my old version of powerdvd 8 and the trial of 10, amusingly they ALL gave the exact same pattern, my problem also wasn't isolate to just one blu-ray, I tried Next, Die Hard 4, Transformers 1 & 2, Cloverfiled, I am Legend, a couple of the Harry potters, all giving the same error.

What makes it amusing is Die Hard 4 is one of the first blu-rays I got and the reason I purchased powerdvd, I know for a fact this blu-ray plays fine with the basic install as thats all I had at first when I tried it, it never asked me to update the keys then as its quite an old film now. It seems to be powerdvd that decidees it needs the keys updating, rather than anything on the disc.

I'm not sure what the base install of mine is unfortunately and I'm not overly comfortable posting my collectuser I'm afraid, a little to much info on there for my liking, I even had a read of its output before sending it to ts to see just how much it was giving them.

I am glad to see it was a new fresh format and just fine in my opinion that its a new hd, i do that a lot myself.

Wow even pdvd8 is giving the same error.. so pdvd8, 9, and 10 all end up doing the same error. This is interesting since to my knowledge they all install to their own directories. Sadly the only movie i might have like yours is the harry potter blu ray. I am setting up a 2nd computer today and hope to run some further testing later to see if any of my movies will produce the aacs if i never upgrade it. dont worry this setup is to test further items about my own problem and i can watch for you issue as i work on a solution to my own. i wonder if there is something all 3 of them share...

Yes there is a lot of information in the collectuser.cab. It only gives all the entries for cyberlink. Yes it does contain 1 very important item that only you should have, but you can thank cyberlink and ask them to provide a new one since they leave it plain text.

BHAVIK [Avatar]
[Post New]
MICHAEL your a legend those set of instructions (steps 1 - 9) worked on my version 8 of PD BD OEM,

I even have saved those steps in my installation folder for future reinstalls or break downs

Cheers dude
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
No worries Glad to hear it helped someone else too!