Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need Advice - Best Way to Copy VHS to DVD
AugieDog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2010 23:22 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all. I'm a newbie who has just purchased Media Suite and PowerDirector 9. One of the big projects I want to undertake is to copy (and later edit) some old VHS tapes (some 30 years old) to DVD.

I want to copy the VHS to disc, massage the data, and burn to DVD.

I've tried a couple of things.....first, via PowerDirector, I managed to copy to disc. But, the playback was terrible, showing checkered frames and the audio was off, not a good solution. Then, I tried PowerProducer. Oddly, it seems to only allow VHS to DVD directly. When I tried to do a short sample, I clicked on the 'stop' button and PowerProducer hung up and simply froze, another bad solution.

So, while I thought this might be a rather simple effort, it is turning into a technical challenge. I'm thinking that I'm either not doing something right, or I'm not using the correct tool. This is where I thought I'd reach out to the experts and seek some input.

Can anyone offer a solution?

FYI....I'm also posting this in the PowerProducer forum, as I"m not sure where to best post.

Thanks, all!!

Art
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video capture USB device that I use in conjunction with a VHS VCR and capture the video and audio(if desired) to my computer first. After you have captured the video from the VHS VCR to your computer, then you can do almost anything you desire with the video i.e. edit, enhance, etc.
You can buy these devices almost anywhere from any electonics store. This is the only satisfactory way to do it. The cost is not very much. You can buy the VHS to DVD players but they are very expensive and don't do a particulat good job.
Hope this helps. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I forgot to mention I use Roxio to capture the video, then use cyberlink to edit. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
What did you use for a capture device? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
I used a device I purchased on Ebay called EasyCap. I have to say it was a year ago and I was using Windows Vista 32 bit program. I transferred all of my videos at one time using this device and it worked very well. How well it will perform on Windows 7 64 bit I don't know. I used Roxio Easy Creator to capture and it worked very well. I do not like their video editing. I like Cyberlink better for editing. I have been using Cyberlink for a few years.
I think Radio Shack sells a more expensive device. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Actually, I meant that question for the other dawg...
...I want to know what his capture method is, that answer may help in the solution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2010 19:20

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
AugieDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Baryddth, the capture tool I used were Cyberlink PowerDirector and Cyberlink PowerProducer. Both of these are software only solutions that seem to not address the need to copy VHS to computer disc (or if they can do it, it sure is not clear how to do it).

Twincity, I think you have exactly the right idea, just what I want to do......copy from VHS to the computer disc, then edit as desired, and then burn to DVD. It sounds like I need to go to a hardware/software solution (such as EasyCap and Easy Creator) to get the VHS data to computer disc. Then, Cyberlink PowerDirector will be able to meet the rest of my needs.

I'll look into EasyCap, as I've never heard of it. I have a Vista 64 bit machine, so I'll need to be sure it can work.

Thanks so much for the valued input.

Art
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote:
I've tried a couple of things.....first, via PowerDirector, I managed to copy to disc.

How did you copy the VHS to disc? I mean the hardware, usb?RCA?ieee?Converter?Pass-thru camera? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
AugieDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Baryddth, oh, now I understand your question (sorry!). I used a VHR unit and connected to the computer via RCA plugs. I have two of them and I tried them both. Only PowerDirector (only the 'capture from a TV signal' worked and the capture source was 'video composite-02', or 03) permitted copying to disc, which seemed to work fine, but the playback was awful. The copying actually was pretty cool, as you could stop the recording and it would store the clip on the screen with a picture of the first scene. After capturing a few of these to test with, I was excited about editing and joining together, but again, the playback was checkered, shaky, and the audio was way off, just a terrible copy.

Art
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
OK, so, it goes like this...
VHS>rca>Computer.
Do you still have those files you captured or did they go directly to disc?
If so, do they play in VLC media player smoothly?
What I'm getting at is VLC is free, and if the files you captured are on your hard drive, and they work in VLC, then that might eliminate the actual capture hardware as the issue.
NOTE:
if you have a modern digital video camera, that may have a "pass-thru" feature for analog-to-digital conversion, look at the manual. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
AugieDog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have VLC, so I'll have to look this up. My video cam is old, but may be an option, I'll also have to look this one up. I deleted the files, so I'd have to recreate.

I looked up EasyCap and see a lot of bad reviews, plus it doesn't appear to work with Vista 64 bit. I'm leaning toward Easy Creator, as it may give the fewest headaches.

Considering all the Cyberlink offerings, it amazes me that it doesn't facilitate a simple VHS to computer disc solution that works. Oh well.

Art
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Well, VLC is just a free download, but will play almost anything you throw at it.
Can you pull the files off the disc and try that way?
Maybe the burns were just lousy.
In the end, maybe you WILL have to buy a transfer device. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
AugieDog;
Considering all the Cyberlink offerings, it amazes me that it doesn't facilitate a simple VHS to computer disc solution that works. Oh well.

Video capture is a hardware solution. Processing what you capture is a software solution.

I used Powerdirector8 and a USB Turtle Beach capture device to copy most of my old family VHS tapes in the past...THAT USB device does not support 64bit either. That lack of support is an issue with USB in 64BIT...not the software.

Sounds like your card has the ability to take an analog video signal directly...you may not NEED another device.

Can you post your DXDIAG file here, please??

Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I am new to forum my nam is tom,

Here is a device for capturing V.H.S. FROM Powerdirector says it will capture on win 7 64bit I have ordered this
if u want to wait till I try it out I will come back with results, read below this is what it says

2010 New USB 2.0 VHS Video Audio CAPTURE Card Adapter

*** Vista (32-bit,64-bit) Windows 7 *** and here is the link to Ebay page

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180453773074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers Tom G

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
That's what I am trying to get to, if he can capture properly with current hardware, no need to spend money if it is not necessary. That being said, buying new stuff CAN be fun. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I use a Pioneer DVR433H recorder for this job, but it doesn't handle protected VHS tapes. For that, you can use something like this device & software which is probably pretty much the same as described above.

denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
[Post New]
denbigh;
I do not believe these USB devices can be used in 64BIT...someone....PLEASE, PLEASE...prove me wrong. I have used many and they work FINE on all versions of 32BIT Windows. I see some "hacked" drivers that will make the EasyCAP (and EZCap) devices work on 64bit, but it appears to have Audio or Video problems all the time. OK, have a good time...hope it works for you.

I use my 32BIT laptop and a USB capture device, Then move the files to my big 64BIT machine.

EDIT ADDED:
As an alternate for those willing to try. I see a device made by Diamond that says it supports 64bit and links to drivers:
http://www.diamondmm.com/VC500.php
There is another version (VC600) , but I couldn't find it listed as available anywhere
Maybe I will try again!!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 05. 2010 15:05

mikey105 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Nov 23, 2009 19:25 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Baryddth,

Maybe someone will come up with a inexpensive route for this issue.

I had the same project, mine was VHS-C tapes made by a prehistoric Panasonic camera (MD 50). I have a box full of these. My solution was the purchase of a LITEON LVC-901G which will play any standard VHS cassett and transfer it to a DVD. The output files (VRO) work just fine with PD 9. The quality of the transfer is excellent. I bought mine at Costco 3 years ago for less than $100 USD and you can probably do better these days at Amazon or others. My guess is you might pay an additional $50-$60 for this dependable work horse over some rigamajig that fits in a 64bit computer USB port.

When you're done, sell the machine on Craig's List for half of what you paid for it and you will be further ahead with less hassel in working your video editing.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: denbigh;
I do not believe these USB devices can be used in 64BIT...someone....PLEASE, PLEASE...prove me wrong.

I guess you'd have to look over my shoulder for proof but if you'll take my word for it, mine does. It's from StarTech.

My first one turned out to be defective (it wasn't obvious, it took a lot of diagnosis), and they worked with me over the phone and gave me absolutely no problems with an exchange. I didn't buy it directly from them, I can't remember where I picked it up.

I just sucked in a couple of minutes of VHS with PD9, and it seemed to work just fine. I'd taped it off the air, so I know it wasn't copy-protected.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2010 19:29

Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
OK...so proven..WRONG!! and happy to be so.