Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU Hardware Encoding weakness - FULL HD MOV output format is not accelerated by Cuda
Slavrent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2010 05:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Probably this will be interesting for Canon DSRL users who trying to edit their clips. I really appreciate by the quality of FULL HD MOV 264 output file in Power Director 9. It seems we do not need to uncompress Canon MOV files by MPEG_StreamClip anymore and can use direct editing. Good. However….

I have tested the hardware encoding options and all the output formats in Power Director 9, and I found that GPU acceleration (Cuda in my case) works fine with MPEG4 and AVC output formats, but not with MOV h.264 producing. I understood that MPEG1/MPEG2 not necessary to encode by GPU because modern CPU is enough for this formats, however why MOV h.264 does not supported by hardware encoding???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2010 06:11

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Slavrent,

It is my understanding that CUDA does not support hardware encoding fo mov file types.

I use ATI and it only supports...mpeg-2, AVC h.264, Some WMV profiles , and mpeg-4.

I think that CUDA is similar.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin its right. Apple always has the way to closed they stuff. MacBook Pros appear to have hardware based .mov h.264 decoding with the new QuickTime formats, but obviously we cant do nothing about it. :
[Post New]
I also noted some quality problems when exporting to MP4, pixelations, color changes, etc from mpegs to mp4s.

Of course taking down the bit rate from a MPG 9Mbps to a 1Mbps MP4 would decrease quality, but disabling Hardware Acceleration (in the export tab) seemed to be the solution for me. I also note no significant time and speed difference using Hardware Acceleration or not, maybe my CPU is strong enough to do the same as Hardware Accel. does. Not sure why

If I have some more time later. I'll try to post some video samples and more details about hardware used.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2011 12:42

Regards, Eze