Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 freezes
Spiral [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2010 13:09 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, just bought PowerDirector 9 Ultra64.
It freezes constantly (every 5 minutes), especially after I have done some work on it. Nothing spectacular, btw, just pretty basic video editing.
I have updated my graphics card drivers recently (a week ago).

Any ideas?

I attached a screenshot and here's some info on my system:
------------------------------------------------------
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: HPE-120sc
BIOS: 01/28/10 15:46:13 Ver: 5.11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6104MB RAM
Page File: 1346MB used, 10857MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05EA&SUBSYS_075310DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4075 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1771 MB
Shared Memory: 2303 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Model: M2762D
Monitor Id: GSM576E
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0011.9793 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.11.9793
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/21/2010 17:27:10, 11923560 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46AA-11CF-2F55-58271FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x05EA
SubSys ID: 0x075310DE
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem42.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section005:8.17.11.9793:pci\ven_10de&dev_05ea&subsys_075310de
Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
[Thumb - pd9.png]
 Filename
pd9.png
[Disk]
 Description
screenshot
 Filesize
748 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 23. 2010 13:28

[Post New]
Spiral;
I have a Windows 7 , 64 bit system with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260. Your drivers are not current. The problems you see should disappear with the latest drivers (there have been four major driver updates since your date). Please update to 10/16/2010 drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

See the following post if it helps:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14162.page

Don't forget to let us know if this works, ok?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 23. 2010 13:39

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Spiral,

Thanks for the great information!!

EDIT: DEFINATELY do what FredB suggested FIRST! This has been found to cause issues with the Nvidea Graphic Cards!

Your screenshot indicates that you are using SHADOW EDIT FILES. This is shown by the small yellow film strip segment in the lower lefthand corner of each of the thumbnails in the Media Room. The yellow color means that the Shadow Edit files are currently being created in the background while you are editing. This takes much of your needed CPU resources away while you are editing.

Once the film segment turns to green, this means that the file has finally been created.

Your PC is more than adequate to edit without these files in my opinion. I would suggest turning OFF this option and then see if your editing experience improves. To turn off this option:
1. Select USER PREFERENCES (top of the open application)
2. UNCHECK the "enable HD video processing...."
3. Then select the CONFIRMATION tab.
3. UNCHECK "Always prompt me when importing High Definion video into the library"

Let us know how this helps.....or not helps.

Regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2010 13:59

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Spiral [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2010 13:09 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks folks, I never expected so quick and helpful answers!
FredB, my bad, I only updated the drivers from windows utility, apparently it didn't work as it should.

Updated and did the changes Kevin suggested.

I abused the program as much as I could and IMO it did work much better, but I still managed to crash it once already. I don't know, it usually has to do with sped up vids, I think. I'll see how it works in the future (after reboot) and let you know.
Richard007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2010 21:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I am also having a freezing problem. First PD9 would not even start. Then I went to the Nvidia site as stated by another thread and updated my drivers directly from Nvidia. Now I was able to get PD9 to start.

I have three short videos that I took on my phone that I was trying to combine into a final movie. The are 3gp format.

I keep having to try and save before each lock up and freez... Im at the point now that I have all three short movies in the project and one trasition between the first two. I just add the second transition and try and save the project and it freezes each time at 60%. No matter how long I wait, it's stuck at 60%. Every time I try... the same thing happens...

If I try and add additional transitions without saving... the program still freezes....

Here 's my System Info:

Pleanty of hardisk space and I'm running in tubo processor mode.
Op Sys is Windows 7 64 bit

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model G50VT
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1182 GB
Disk partition C: 383 GB Free (585 GB Total)
Media drive D: CD/DVD
Disk partition E: 389 GB Free (596 GB Total)
Media drive F: CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS
Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6099
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Network Adapter TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2010 22:07

Jfinis [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide Joined: Aug 26, 2009 06:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
I'm experiencing similar issues whereby when a High Definition movie is manipulated in the timeline ie. stretch backwards or forwards PD9 stops responding for a minute or so then comes back to live, I'm using Windows 7 32Bit with 4gb Memory, PD9 Ultra (Upgraded from Version , GeForce GTS 450 graphic card with the latest drivers from Nividia.
Does anyone have any ideas on this has I mentioned earlier I've only seen the problem when editing HD files
Many thanks

Jim
jforster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2011 23:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Same problems here, Richard. I can't edit any HD video without it locking up - to a point it is taking me 5-6 hours to edit 10 minutes of HD video. Patched Win7, patched video drivers, patched PD 9. Same results.
I have tons of video from my GoPro HD - the software is all but useless to edit anything over a minute or two.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 23:26

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Richard, Jim and jforster could you please supply parts A & B from this thread, so we can see your system specs which will help us to help you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Also jforster I have many many GoPro HD videos on youtube which I have edited with PowerDirector 9 Ultra.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Richard: I am guessing that your system is underpowered for HD editing. You have only 4 GB of RAM on an x64 OS platform, which equates to 2 GB on an x32 platform.

The URL for PD9 minimum requirements, and I emphasize "minimum", is below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_CA.html

Video editing is very resource intensive and with marginal computing platforms, one will encounter crashes, lockups, and other unwelcome behavior from PD9 because it is running out of computer resources. Some of the folks can get along with simple projects on a marginal computer, but they have to be very patient and allow PD9 to completely process each change to their project. The more transitions, titles, and special effects added, the more the computer is stressed.

As Robert2 has suggested, a dxdiag of your platforms would help the pros identify if your systems are up to the challenge of video editing using PD9.

Hope this helps a bit. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
jforster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Power Director 9.0.0.2702

Attached the 64 bit diag file. I'm open to any ideas - this seems to work great if I keep the files very small.
Sunday night while attempting to edit a video from this weekend, my IDS logged 27 Watson reports going out. I seriously had to save after each change I made. (I finally just rage quit)

Thanks!

-Jim
 Filename
jforsterDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64 Bit DxDiag
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
291 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 19. 2011 22:34

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Jim for the dxdiag.txt. Everything looks up to date other than your sound drivers being a bit old and you being on a laptop, which even though yours seems more powerful than most it just makes it harder to edit full HD video.

You did state that you have patched Win7, do you know there is service pack 1 available for Win 7? My version of Win 7 is build 7601 yours is 7600. I don't think this is the problem but it is usually good to keep operating systems up to date.

My suggestion at this stage would be to take a test video using your GoPro at 1280X720 30 or 25 frames/sec or even lower resolution just to see if this is the problem. Although with 27 Watson reports there may be something else there interfering with PD, hence the lock ups.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
jforster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah I'm just going to have to fight with it I guess.
All my desktop systems are 32bit, so this was the route I chose. (And easier to take along in the RV)

I have the GoPro running in F5 so next trip I'll try turning it down - smaller videos seem to be ok, so this may all be related.

SP1 is on my list 'to do' - I use this system for on-call duties, so stability is a concern. Not that I don't trust Microsoft..

Thanks Robert!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Glad to help Jim, sorry I didn't have the magic bullet.

Trust Microsoft and it's stability, trust them sure do. ....having said that I do have to say Win7 has been pretty good. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
jforster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a follow-up - went SP1 and no difference at all. Going on 4 hours to edit a 6 minute video. :/

Something had to have changed (hotfix maybe?) as after I purchased the software it was working great.
I may try the full reinstall and see if I have any luck.

...and on that note, it just locked again. Guess I'm done for the night. *grumble, curse*

I there any way to get a debug dump out of this so Cyberlink can tell me what is going on?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 26. 2011 23:46

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jforster,
I did a quick look over your set up. You may need to update the motherboard bios.
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G73Jh
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/09 15:13:23 Ver: 08.00.10

Check your ATI driver, I think there is a more recent one out:
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/8/2011 22:55:52, 795136 bytes

Your HDD needs cleaning and freeing up more space - defrag it.
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 134.7 GB
Total Space: 416.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST9500420AS

I'm concerned you may be experiencing a slow failure of your HDD and the processing of data may be showing the issue up.
1. make sure you free up more GB space.
2. ALL address locations of the media files are short, for example C:\Video\Project.
3. Please Export your project and attempt to render again to a new location.
Export: a) Create a new folder in Video\Project\Test
b) File > Pack Project Materials > browse to the new folder location and all media will be reproduced.
c) Close PD
d) Go to the Video\project location and find the new .pds file, double click it.
e) proceed to render your project.

I would like to see screenshots of the NEW folder - I'm looking for file names and extensions - I want to see all please.

I want to see a screenshot of the edit workspace showing the project in the library and timelines.

I am concerned you have corrupt(able) media content which could be causing the problem.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
jforster,
Just an extra question. Have you set your computer to create shadow files (SF)?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16979.page#85700

For your system you should have SF generation unchecked.

Shadow files operation - you do NOT need this option. Look in preferences and uncheck the options:
Preferences > General > Enable HD video processing (uncheck the option asap)
Also:
Preferences > Confirmation > Always prompt me when I import HD video into the library.

Hwyl
Dafydd
Jazmyn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2011 05:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Related problem. Except Trial version of PowerDirector 9 worked perfectly, so I ran out and bought a boxed copy. It freezes right after taking a long time to load. Makes no sense to me.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jazmyn,
Please start a new thread/ne topic please. Select "New Topic" or click the address I've given here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=67

Please make sure you apply the latest corrective patch 2930.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Please read the top of the page "Sticky" guides here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/67.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

Sorry to lump everything as links.