Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 fails to start or hangs or has video problems or production failures
[Post New]
Please read the following if you experience lockups, video problems or"anomalies" with your new Powerdirector9 program. We are longtime users and Beta testers of Cyberlink Powerdirector (with hands-on experience in Versions 3-9) and want to help you avoid any problems with the new technology.

We have tested and found that the new technology in PD9 utilizes video and memory utilization features that may only be available, or function correctly with, the most recent video card drivers. If you are having trouble with startup, previews, rendering, production, program lockup, etc. within the new program, we recommend that you install the latest Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) drivers for your particular video GPU/card.

If your video drivers are more than a year (or sometimes more than a few months) old, consider the fact that little was being implemented or had been finalized related to 64BIT processors, GPU Acceleration or HD Video standards as of a year ago!!

First, let's cover some of the common reasons given by users for NOT wanting to upgrade their video drivers:

...Version 8 worked perfectly on this machine...

Much has changed in the video portion of the program from 8 to 9. For example, many of the new Nvidia CUDA features only work properly with the newest drivers.

...I reinstalled the entire machine from factory settings, so there is an entirely new clean system running...OR ....this is an entirely NEW machine...

This will only ensure that you have the drivers that originally shipped with the machine, but in most cases..these are NOT the most current drivers.

...I used (insert some program name here) to check for drivers and it says I am up to date....or I have checked to insure I have the latest drivers

Many programs search to see if Windows is running without video errors and then reports that no driver update is needed. However, to fully utilize the new technology, new drivers are needed. The DXDIAG file shows the date and version of the actual drivers installed.

The machine manufacturer says they only support their drivers...OR how will this effect my other programs? Will they be compatible?

These new video card/GPU manufacturer drivers have been tested by a variety of users, on their own machines, with many programs installed. This is why we recommend you only install WHQL tested drivers.

To prevent any problems, and to protect in case of failure, make SURE you create a Windows RESTORE POINT before proceeding (Warning - do NOT skip this step).
WINDOWS XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948247
WINDOWS VISTA - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions
WINDOWS 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

OK, I have created a RESTORE POINT, now, where do I get the newest drivers?

Each GPU manufacturer has a site that will provide you access to the most current drivers. Here are a couple of links that may be of use.

Nvidia - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx (most recent tested = version 260.99) . Some users have reported that letting Nvidia automatically scan for drivers may not function correctly. I suggest that you use DXDIAG to find the actual card name, then enter the card and OS specs manually on the page linked above.
ATI - http://support.amd.com/US/Pages/drivers.aspx ( tested to version 10.10) Use the AMD Catalyst™ Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) Technology Edition only if your card supports it.
Intel - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

If you have a card other than those listed above or you are having problems, contact us and we will see if we can help you find the correct drivers. We WANT you to enjoy the great new Powerdirector9!! Please let us know if this has helped.

This message was edited 15 times. Last update was at Nov 28. 2010 04:24

Aananthaveni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2010 14:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks a million.......U guys are really marvelous...I followed ur advise and updated my nvidia driver and My
power Director9 launched successfully after three gruelling days of repeated installations and tiresome Waiting to Getting help from technical support...real Hats offf to U..............Thanks Again...........
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Fred has given a super answer and I awarded him 5 stars for the effort he has given to providing a great solution to those who were having difficulty.

Thank you Fred.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Amen. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
Thanks Jerry and Aananthaveni ...glad this worked for you. Powerdirector is much more fun when you can actually USE it!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2010 22:52

Simonm2211 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 26, 2010 08:47 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, I have tried to load the latest driver (260.99 for nvidia geforce gtx460m) but was returned the error "the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware", even though this is the driver that is for Windows 7/64bit and gtx460m.

Subsequently I searched for the the driver from Toshiba's website (it's a qosmio machine) and the latest listed there was from 8/17 and it is the driver currently installed. The error that I receive is "front end graph streaming error" which occurs at different points during producing, but always in the transition to a video clip. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Simon, Please approach Tech Support with your concerns.
Support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 26. 2010 11:28

IFishGud2010
Newbie Location: Cape Cod, MA Joined: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I have update all my drivers and V9 is painfully slow during Editing. I have created about 40 minutes of video but I can't bear to go on. The program is soooooooo slow.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have update all my drivers and V9 is painfully slow during Editing. I have created about 40 minutes of video but I can't bear to go on. The program is soooooooo slow.

First, if the answer above don't help, you may get better results if you start a new thread. With that said, what are your system specs?
cfillion
Newbie Location: Québec, Canada Joined: Nov 24, 2010 11:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you!
Without you I was in trouble of not being able to open PowerDirector 9!
Thank you again!
I have a Samsung R580

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 12:24

Dewi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 26, 2010 21:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 9 also fails to start for me.
I have a brand new Vaio L series with Geforce 330M, but the driver is 9 months old.
Unfortunately the official Nvidia driver wouldn't recognise the hardware, and after calling Sony they said all I could do is wait and hope that someday Sony updates the driver through their proprietary update software.

Guess in the meantime I can't use PD9

Probably should have known better buying Sony. How hard can it be to update drivers for them?
Simonm2211 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am a couple of days into this problem now. I contacted online support and joined the CyberLink voice support. Both told me to upgrade my drivers (I checked them all on my 3 day old computer and not surprisingly, they are up to date). I also changed the screen resolution to 60Hz, 16 bit 1024 x 768. So far, no luck with solving the issue. I moved the software from my nearly full SSD to my completely empty HDD. Still nothing. I will continue to work with the phone support when they get in the office in India at 1pm, but so far PowerDirector has been an exercize in frustration and disappointment and the tech support has been weak.
 Filename
SimonsDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
335 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 18:48

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Simon,

I know you have already gone to the Nvidea site....when you downloaded the drivers that were for your system, did they not install once downloaded? Or did you have the Nvidea site scan your system for the correct drivers? It has been suggested that you manually input your specifics and then download the correct drivers.

I looked at your DxDiag file and your Graphic card drivers are not the most current, the drivers your system is using were released on:
Driver Date/Size: 7/27/2010 11:57:00, 12472936 bytes

I went to the Nvidea site and input your sytem configuration and the current drivers for your setup is:
Version: 260.99 WHQL
Release Date: 2010.10.25
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 160 MB

I would go to the Nvidea site and manually input your Card, OS system, etc. and then download and install your new updated driver.

Here is the Nvidea site:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 19:09

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Yes...AFTER the restore point please!! (WARNING! DO NOT skip this step!!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 19:12

Simonm2211 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I created the restore point when I originally downloaded the driver.

I tried to update the driver but I get the error message "the graphics driver cannot find compatible hardware". Any ideas?

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Simon -

I have no idea why you're getting that error message. In your situation, I'd go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Right click on GTX 460 > Properties > Uninstall

Next step - restart your PC & the original driver will be reinstalled.

NOW - try installing the latest driver Kevin provided the link for (260.99).

Hope that helps - Tony

P.S. It's probably true that the moderator didn't want this whole thread to be a sticky... just Fred's excellent outline.

P.P.S. 460M! Missed that. Makes a difference.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 19:52

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
This error has been reported by other Mobile users (going back a few versions). The manufacturers of the notebooks control the driver support internally, but the video card CAN be patched.

There is an extensive discussion about the 460M video problems on the Nvidia Forum and I suggest you contact the ADMINISTRATOR of that forum to see if anything has been resolved/discovered.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showuser=290704

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 20:20

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I created the restore point when I originally downloaded the driver.

I tried to update the driver but I get the error message "the graphics driver cannot find compatible hardware". Any ideas?

You could try the Windows "Roll back driver" option. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
Yes...to much sticky!!! Maybe a lock is best.

Error is thrown by the laptop manufacture, I think.
Rollback gets you the old driver, uninstall/// Don*t know??
Simonm2211 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to everyone, particularly FredB.

Unfortunately the possible solution is way beyond my tech skills.

I will wait until Monday and contact Support again and see if they can guide me.