Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 Mark II Ultra - Spontaneously cleared Blu-Ray region and set "changes" to zero.
SporkWitch [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Hirschhorn, Germany Joined: Nov 16, 2010 23:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Purchased two or three days ago, first time using the BD-ROM for a blu-ray disk. On first load, it prompted me to set the region because it was the first time using it, said I had 5 changes remaining, and I set it to region A (my original location -- I'm only in Germany now because I'm with the USAF -- and where all my DVDs and Blu-Rays are from, except for two region-free ones I bought here; all disks work fine in my PlayStation 3).

It played all of my movies fine (ran through all of them just to test various features and make sure all were supported by PowerDVD). I continued to watch movies most of the day while doing other work on the computer. No issues arose other than a weird sound issue during the opening titles on season 1 of True Blood (only lasted during the opening titles for the disk, played fine throughout the rest of the disk).

The next time I went to watch a movie was about an hour ago (I've spent that whole time googling for a solution to the following issue). When I hit play to start watching the first disk (after testing, does the same for the second disk) of season two of True Blood, it brings up that "first time using" prompt again, only this time it says I have zero changes remaining. It pre-selects region A, as it did the first time, and I choose region A, hit ok, and it starts loading the disk. A few moments later, while the "loading disk" pop-up is still on screen, it brings up the "set region" prompt again. Hit OK again, and it boots me out with a code 800401F9 "internal error." The error text is as follows:

It then boots me to the main PowerDVD screen. Hitting cancel either time the prompt comes up boots me back to the main PowerDVD screen immediately.

I've submitted a ticket, and am awaiting a response. In the meantime, more than 70% of my movie library is now inaccessible to me while using my computer, as my PlayStation 3 is on the other side of my flat. Yet another case of how DRM only affects legitimate customers, as if I weren't using legitimately purchased software, with legitimate, store-bought (or amazon-ordered) disks, this would likely have never been an issue in the first place.

Anyone else run into similar issues? DxDiag report is attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
47 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
334 time(s)
SporkWitch [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Hirschhorn, Germany Joined: Nov 16, 2010 23:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
As a side note, I haven't even used the computer since the first time. I finished what I was doing, pulled my movie disk out (Robin Hood, the new one; damned good flick), tossed my mouse in the charger, and then went to bed. I haven't even used the computer since then, though I left it running like I always do, so no user-made changes occurred between it working and it suddenly not working. Theoretically NOTHING should have changed between then and now.

EDIT:
Rebooting the computer appears to have worked. Still a bloody odd issue, and extremely annoying (even if it only takes about 90 seconds between clicking "restart" and being back up completely on this machine, even in windows, that's still really annoying.)

Would still like information and / or advice on how to prevent the issue from reoccurring, because I'm not a big fan of rebooting (bad enough I have to do it when I switch between Win7 and linux).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2010 00:36

SporkWitch [Avatar]
[Post New]
A response from a Cyberlink employee would be greatly appreciated. So far I've received two obviously automated responses via the ticket system, both of which absolutely and completely useless, the first showing that NOTHING in my post had been read (requests included the dxdiag to be attached, what video card was I using, the exact error message etc.; all of which were included in the original ticket), the second showing that it filtered out the error code from the original message and generated an automated and equally useless suggestion based on that (i'd love to know how antivirus and firewall software is supposed to relate to the files / registry keys powerdvd stores its region settings in).

TL:DR
Get me someone that works for Cyberlink, your ticket system, thus far, is absolutely useless, and I wrote superior auto-response scripts at the age of 10.

EDIT:
Damnable auto-smilies.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2010 03:10

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Right off the bat...I am not a Cyberlink employee(auto-smilies). This forum is a user forum, not monitored by Cyberlink, but is monitored by one moderator who may pop in here to offer you some help. So you may still get some helpful ideas. Hang in there!

I can't offer any assistance....as I monitor the Power Director forum. But occasionally peek in on the Power DVD forum. I use the software.

But I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your posts.(auto-smilies)(auto-smilies)!! You just have to Love those automated responses!! Everyone I see here HATES them!!! I can't imagine why people don't like it when their question is not actually read by someone!!

Regards from the U.S.A.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
SporkWitch [Avatar]
[Post New]
One of those things, I've seen decent automated systems before, this isn't one of them. On top of that, if I'm contacting tech support, it means I've already exhausted all the basics, and already done my research. More comical is that it asked, separately, for a dxdiag report AND what video card I have (never mind that both were included, separately, in the original ticket), considering one of the first things in a dxdiag report is the detailed specs of your GPU.

It just showed a complete lack of an attempt, and then the second response (which is normally a human) being obviously an auto-response as well made it worse. To add insult to injury, it took 2 or 3 hours before the first auto-response was sent. Even a day or so is reasonable if it's a human, but 2-3 hours for the AUTO-RESPONSE?!

I was loathe to spend money for movie playback in the first place, but to have such a ridiculous issue after shelling out nearly 100USD, and then this, I am NOT a happy customer. At least it's working (for now) but it never should have been an issue in the first place.

As always, DRM screws the legitimate customers, while the pirates run free.
geok [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2009 02:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am still having this same exact problem! I have not been able to find a solution.

So far I have tried:

1. Rebooting.

2. Various methods clearing the region change counter.

3. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II.

NOTHING has helped!

I don't have a Blu-ray player attached to my TV. The only way I can watch Blu-rays is on my computer, but, thanks to Cyberlink, my entire Blu-ray library is now inaccessible.

I opened a trouble ticket five days ago, but have yet to receive a response. I opened another ticket yesterday, about the fact that nobody has replied to my first ticket!

What kills me is that I had watched a Blu-ray one day, but would up not finishing. I went in the next day to finish it, without making any changes to my system, and encountered this problem! On the SAME disk!

Furthermore, I should add, I've never changed my region!! I only watch Region A disks.

This is ridiculous. An answer would be nice, although I realize the first response will request that I repeat everything I already told them, since it will no doubt say something like, "Go into Settings->Blu-ray and select your region.", requiring the ever popular, "Did you actually READ my first question?" first reply.

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
@geok,

kindly post and try the steps described in this posting:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

for such issues it is mostly releated to some Antivirus Software please also post the AV solutio you use.

I need those infos to escalate your issue for further investigation.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan