Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"you must update cyberlink powerDVD to continue playback of this content"
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2010 12:06 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

As the topic might give away, when trying to play any blu-ray I get the message "You must update Cyberlink PowerDVD to continue the playback of this content". Naturally I click yes and get the message "Player application update Update Complete." but when trying to play the disc again the same message appears and I am going around in circles.

I've already submitted a support ticket but thought it might be a bit quicker here and might not just get the usual "its a hardware problem" lines.

I know its not a hardware issue as I am using all the same hardware I was and same discs when this was working previousely. The only thing that has changed is that I have upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, I have a clean install of Power DVD and I have updated to the latest patch. I also see no avaialble updates when using the checker built into power DVD.

I have the latest video and sound drivers and everything I am running is HDCP compliant (as proved by the fact it all worked under vista).

Has anyone seen this before? Google doesn't seem to turn up much.

Thnks,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2010 11:40

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please post some more infos...

at least you shoudl post:

- what POwerDVD Version (main Version and build=
- title that fails.
- used antivirus and/or firewall solution

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Power DVD is version 9 Ultra, I have stated in my first post that any blu-ray I try fails, and I have tried several including Die Hard 4, Next, Transformers 1 and 2 and Sunshine. I am using Avast anti-virus and windows firewall.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please post the full Version you use and check if you have insalled the latest patches already:

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html

Please also try to disable the AV solution in MSCONFIG temporatriyl and check if the issue happens again/still - you may need to install PDVD again after disable the AV solution.

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will give re-installing the software with no Anti-virus a shot and let you know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 14. 2010 11:52

Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still the same I'm afraid. I un-installed my anti virus, rebooted, uninstalled powerDVD, rebooted. Re-installed the base version of PowerDVD rebooted. Tried to play a blu-ray and was asked to install an update which I did and then rebooted. Re-opened power DVD and was informed there was a patch, installed that and downloaded. Then rebooted. Tried to play a blu-ray and I'm right back where I started with the You must update Cyberlink PowerDVD to continue the playback of this content message.

I am now running version 9.0.2528.51

Any more ideas?

[Post New]
Hi,

please provide all info that are asked for:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

thanks

Werde Facebook Fan
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD full Version 9.0.2528.51
PowerDVD SR Number DVD091203-02
Operating System Windows 7 64bit
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Full retail version
Used VGA nVidia 8800GTX
Used VGA driver version 197.45
Used Audio device X-fi Xtreme Gamer
Used Audio device driverversion 2.18.13
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI) DVI
Are you using singel or dual monitor environment Dual
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display) Extended
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using Avast free
The detailed issue description See origional post
[Post New]
Hi,

can you please also post the asked DXDIAG and the Colleruserinfo result filr her as attachement?

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

I have already sent both of these in as part of my support ticket if you can get them from that?

I somehow manged to get a blu-ray to play once just a moment ago by disconnecting from the interent. I was still prompted to update but on clicking no the film started playing! This is obviously some kind of bogus update that PowerDVD thinks I need that I really dont and of course shows there is obviously nothing wrong with my hardware.

Does this give you any ideas at all?
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
To further add to this I have just tried instaling the trial of AnyDVD HD to remove the copy protection and now my films play perfectly! Once I turn it off PowerDVD starts prompting me to update. Turn it back on and they play straight away.

This is obviously something to do with the keys that powerDVD attemptes to download, can I do this manually?
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
I would also like to add I have just tried this via power DVD in windows medias centre and now see the errors AACS License Key Update
An important component of CyberLink PowerDVD requires periodic updates. New movies may not play back if the component is not updated now. Would you like to update now? - (Error Code = 0024) Yes / No.

This is the same as another user has had in a previous post. Is there some patch I can download and install manually for this?
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Some good news for you all! I seem to have got it working!

Heres my steps if any of you want to try.

1) Uninstall PowerDVD
2) Reboot
3) Install power DVD 9
4) Try to play a blu-ray, it will give you a message asking you to update and take you to an IE page where you can download version 2201. Download and save this somewhere safe.
5) Close power DVD
6) Completley disconnect from the internet ie unplug your cable or turn off wireless
7) Install the 2201 patch.
Try to play a blu-ray you will see the crap error message we were all getting forcing you to update. Click NO.
9) Without closing PowerDVD click play again. As if by magic the blu-ray will start. It seems by saying no and installing whilst offline you get around the farcical update.

I have managed to make this persist after a full shutdown and when connected to the internet so it seems to be a 1 time thing. However do NOT under any circumstances install any later patches when prompted. I did just to play devils advocate and hard to start all over again with those 9 steps.

Hope this helps
Kenny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 18, 2010 21:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the exact same problem. Blu-Ray discs were playing fine a few days ago. I tried to play the same discs today and am getting the same circular problem as stated by Michael. The fix described by Michael did not work with my computer. It would not let me install the patch unless I was connected to the internet (yes I downloaded it and saved it to my desktop first).

Did Cyberlink ever come up with a solution to this or did they leave it at Michael's solution?
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
I have windows 7 64 bit and powerdvd 9 ultra retail.

I have done many installs while trying to perfect my playback. I have never encountered such a cycle of updates as of yet, but i tend to follow these steps....

Install audio driver
install video driver
install powerdvd retail
reboot
run powerdvd retail as administrator (right click exe and run as admin)
enter my key
register while its running as admin
reboot
now i have already downloaded the latest patch from the support site
run the latest patch was 2528 for pdvd 9 ultra retail as administrator (right click exe and run as admin)

I only have had 1 movie prompt me for aacs key updates in the 40+ installs i have done in the past 6 months...
I would be curious if these steps help.. I would guess the biggest part is running as administrator at least the first time.
The rest of the time i use MCE interface to play my movies and my problems are beyound cycle update issues.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that they did Kenny. They have also ignored the official ticket I sent with the ridiculous amount of information they requested.

What error do you get when you try to install the patch whilst offline?
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I would also like to add I have just tried this via power DVD in windows medias centre and now see the errors AACS License Key Update
An important component of CyberLink PowerDVD requires periodic updates. New movies may not play back if the component is not updated now. Would you like to update now? - (Error Code = 0024) Yes / No.

This is the same as another user has had in a previous post. Is there some patch I can download and install manually for this?

I remember one time trying to force my keys to update. I stumbled on the link below.
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp
Basically what it looks to do is detect your software and provide the proper patch. Personally I just use the updates page. Either way be sure not to run it and select SAVE. It will be a slow download from this site. When it has finished downloading I highly suggest running the EXE as administrator even if your account has administrator privledges.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I did that, its actually the 2201 patch that that site reccomends that I am currently running. It doesn't actually let you download any kind of key update. Just an older patch.
BHAVIK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2010 09:34 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Some good news for you all! I seem to have got it working!

Heres my steps if any of you want to try.

1) Uninstall PowerDVD
2) Reboot
3) Install power DVD 9
4) Try to play a blu-ray, it will give you a message asking you to update and take you to an IE page where you can download version 2201. Download and save this somewhere safe.
5) Close power DVD
6) Completley disconnect from the internet ie unplug your cable or turn off wireless
7) Install the 2201 patch.
Try to play a blu-ray you will see the crap error message we were all getting forcing you to update. Click NO.
9) Without closing PowerDVD click play again. As if by magic the blu-ray will start. It seems by saying no and installing whilst offline you get around the farcical update.

I have managed to make this persist after a full shutdown and when connected to the internet so it seems to be a 1 time thing. However do NOT under any circumstances install any later patches when prompted. I did just to play devils advocate and hard to start all over again with those 9 steps.

Hope this helps

good info there...i just got my refund on PD 10Ultra because of this persisting problem...sent of all my pc info to cyberlink tech support and havent heard from them for a good month now. The last message i got was 'I have sent your information and problem to our more technical support team' thats it!

I downloaded PD8 BD OEM and an update for it and it been working for a month or so, until now for some reason...also i found that if you update with the newer version of their websites it stops the player from working....how F***king useless!
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yep, I did that, its actually the 2201 patch that that site reccomends that I am currently running. It doesn't actually let you download any kind of key update. Just an older patch.

I was updating my system with newer video and audio drivers today so i went ahead and blew away my pdvd9 ultra install. nvidia 257.21 whql and realtek R4.29

I agree that link wanted me to download 2201... so i did. I also installed trying to break it.
I also went back to the same page it said i was all up date ROFL.
I proceeded to the support site...
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html
Grabbed 2528 for pdvd9 ultra since i know if i didn't install it someone would pop in 2012 blu ray and say its broken.

Was there a particular title that it did this on? i cant remember which of movies did this back when i was testing. I am going through something in and see if i get the looping upgrade aacs.