Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photodirector displays pictures as much less saturated than all the other apps
dpietrzak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2015 15:08 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Dear All

I'm a new user to PhotoDirector, having recently upgraded from PowerDirector to a complete Suite. However, I'm not new to photo editing - I've been using other software until now for that.

So far I've been enjoying the experience, however I seem to have run into a major problem- pictures look different when viewed in PhotoDirector vs. when viewed in other software (e.g. Windows' own photo browsing feature). Simply put - all pictures seen in Photodirector seem much less saturated. What it means is that when I edit them up, make the adjustments, save them and then I open them up I'm shocked to see how saturated they are. All colors are blown out of proportion. So I open the same file again in Photodirector and to my surprise it looks not nearly as saturated. I have no idea what could drive this.

Anybody experienced the same thing?

I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

All best,

dpietrzak
dpietrzak [Avatar]
[Post New]
To make it more illustrative - in the attached picture you can see an actual printscreen. I have opened the same picture in Photodirector 8 (on the right) and simply by double clicking the picture (on the right). All other apps e.g. Paint "see" this picture like the one on the right. It seems the PD is the only one which sees the color as much less saturated.
[Thumb - comparo.jpg]
 Filename
comparo.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
127 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello dpietrzak,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Whilst I don't doubt what your suggesting, I am unable to replicate it here using a simple colour chart (JPG) as a test. I opened the chart in PhD, Lighroom, Paint & Win 10 Photos to compare colour rendition. I've zipped & attached the screenshots.

PhotoDirector displays the colours accurately & just as the original.

Perhaps you're referring to RAW images. That is where you can usually find distinct differences in how different software renders colour.

PIX
 Filename
Colour Render.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2639 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
357 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
dpietrzak [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Pix for coming back to me.

I'm also struggling to understand why the PhotoDirector would show the different colors than Win 10 photos for example. But as you can see from my screenshot it somehow does. BTW: the attached screenshot is an actual screenshot of two windows that I opened next to each other. Same JPEG picture (not RAW) opened in PD (on the left) looks way less saturated than the same picture opened in Win 10 photos (on the right). This specific example was before I even started editing this picture. I understand the difference in color representation is easily visible?

Same thing happens when I edit the picture. I make the basic adjustments in the PD8 and the picture looks fine. Then, after I save it, I open it in Win and it strikes me with all these colors blown with very high saturation.

It seems as though I'm facing one of the two problems - 1) PD8 represents colors accurately however Windows built in photo viewing features (e.g. windows explorer, paint, pictures) somehow represent them badly i.e. with high oversaturation or 2) PD8 shows colors as much more bland vs. what they realy are. I'm not sure yet how to verify what is the correct answer here.

I will try to do the same with a simple colour chart and see.

And on that note: in the pictures you have sent me there is one difference - LR shows colors differently vs. the others, unless I read something wrong. I seem to have the exact same issue with PD.
[Post New]
Hello again dpietrzak,

No, you haven't read anything wrongly. In the test samples I posted LR displayed the colours differently (i.e. not as original)

I also made an error in annotation embarassed on the PhD Display image. I noted the RGB values for the blue patch as 0, 0, 204 when they are, in fact, 0, 0, 254. I'll put that down to age, rather than stupidity.

Attached is the colour chart I used for the test.

PIX
[Thumb - 1_Colour Chart.jpg]
 Filename
1_Colour Chart.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3190 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
136 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
dpietrzak [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I have rechecked and it seems the problem lies on the PhotoDirector side.

I've used a simple color chart to verify that (http://htmlcolorcodes.com/assets/downloads/material-design-colors/material-design-color-chart.png). The attached printscreen compares the result of the file opened in Win Photo (bottom) vs Photo Director (top). Displayed colors at the bottom match the values that should be seen. The ones at the top (which is Photo Director) are visibly bland even to a naked eye and simple rgb color read confirms they are materially different.

I'm using a calibrated Eizo monitor and the difference is really striking. Until I solve this, PD is useless for me as a photo editing software.

So I now know the problem lies with PD but I'm not sure I am anywhere near the solution. Any clues?
[Thumb - color comparison.png]
 Filename
color comparison.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
399 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
115 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2016 14:27

[Post New]
A very perplexing issue! frown

Thank you for posting the link & your screenshot. What that shows is that you and I are seeing quite different colour displays in PhD8.

Here, PhD8 shows the colours correctly. In the attached screenshot you can see my version of your comparison. PhD8, Win Photos & your screenshot in the background. You can even see the difference between our two displays.

Could you check your PhD Preferences under File Handling to see what your Preview Quality is set to. For my earlier screenshot, mine was set to "Standard". Now it's "1:1".

There must be a simple reason for this anomaly.

PIX
[Thumb - Display Colours.png]
 Filename
Display Colours.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
525 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
117 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
dpietrzak [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm afraid changing the preview quality has not solved the problem in any way. I'm lost. I have gone through every single menu item and I cannot see anything even remotely related to this issue. It is as though all my pictures are imported or shown with a de-saturation filter on them.

I have still 15 days to cancel my suite subscription. I hope this will not be necessary
BobM0108 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2014 09:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PhD7 and a calibrated monitor (calibrated with ColorMunki Display) and there is an obvious difference between the way PhD7 displays images (jpg, haven't tried RAW) and other applications display them on Win10 (Microsoft Photos, CaptureOne 9). My experience is that PhD7 displays the images much darker and more saturated... like way too much contrast.

The thing I have in common with the OP is that he also uses a calibrated monitor...color profile issue?

This IS a PhD7 issue. I have ordered PhD8 in hopes that this issue has been resolved but now I am not confident about that. The only reason I still want to use PhD is that object removal is much easier and can produce better results than CaptureOne 9.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2016 07:48

[Post New]
Please have a look at this - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/50536.page#265611

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Mutley444 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2015 11:41 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

I stumbled on this thread cause i'm having the same issue, but since i have a mac and a PC i noticed that the problem shows only on tha mac version of PD7.

Other software ob the macbook pro (2010) shows a very different picture. Photodirector shows pictures much darker so when i'm editing i don't know how they will look after exporting so it's a no go.

Now tested on the PC and picture is correct so it must be a conflict od photodiretor with some hardware (graphic card?).
[Post New]
Hello Mutley444,

I'm glad you've stumbled on this thread because that sounds like very useful information.

Would it be too much trouble to post the system details/DxDiag for each computer you've tested, noting which one seemed to display colours incorrectly? You may well be correct about some sort of conflict/mismatch between PhD & certain hardware.

I'm sure the product development team would be interested to examine any nformation you can provide.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Mutley444 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2015 11:41 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mutley444,

I'm glad you've stumbled on this thread because that sounds like very useful information.

Would it be too much trouble to post the system details/DxDiag for each computer you've tested, noting which one seemed to display colours incorrectly? You may well be correct about some sort of conflict/mismatch between PhD & certain hardware.

I'm sure the product development team would be interested to examine any nformation you can provide.

PIX

Hi, my PC (PD7 works ok) has this config:

System Information------------------ Time of this report: 12/29/2016, 16:04:01 Machine name: PCCELIA Machine Id: {B0EFEF16-73F1-48CD-BF8E-1FED86EA74F6} Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252) Language: Portuguese (Regional Setting: Portuguese) System Manufacturer: MSI System Model: MS-7592 BIOS: Default System BIOS Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM Page File: 5392MB used, 10990MB available Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 12 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled Miracast: Not AvailableMicrosoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode

My macbook pro (PD7 doesnt work right) is a mid 2010 13 inch macbook pro.

Has a side note i tried and then upgraded to PD8 Ultra cause it works as it should on both computers. So i now dont have the problem anymore.