Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 - constant application hang
PTR99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 21:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PD users,

I would greatly appreciate your help - I am having issues with PD13 constantly hanging (and consequently crashing). This generally occurs with every session of using the application. It usually occurs with seemingly innocuous actions, such as customizing a slideshow, then returning to the timeline; changing the editor type from "clip" to "movie"; pressing save; or placing the cursor on the timeline. Sometimes this will happen after 15 minutes, other times it will travel smoothly for an hour or more, then the issue occurs.

I have hardware acceleration enabled and have encountered the issue regardless regardless of preview type (most recent hang was on 'Normal' preview quality).

I am using 1080p HD clips from a number of cameras in either .mov or .mp4 format (Samsung, Canon, Fuji). I have the HD shadow file processing option turned on.

The behaviour is that the application will first hang. I know this has occured because the when I move the mouse on a button within PD, it does not illuminate as usual. In addition, it says "Not Responding" in Task Manager. If I think click anywhere on the PD user interface, the UI then crashes. In my most recent hang, I noticed that RAM was at about 61% (flatlining until I termintated PD). CPU and Disk use were very low during the hang.

This has been happening for approximately 6 months, across the following versions: build 2408 (my intial purchase), build 2604 and the most recent version 2907.1. I don't recall this being an issue with PD11 on the same machine.

I have not experienced similar issues with other applications, e.g. Windows Movie Maker.

I have a late 2013 27'' iMac, running Bootcamp on Windows 8.1 (64 bit), with an Intel Core i5 @ 3.20GHz, 8GB of RAM, 3TB hard-drive and NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with the driver version 337.88 recommended by Cyberlink.

I have attached my most recent application hang details from Event Viewer and Dxdiag file. Please note that the application hang details from the Event viewer say that the PD version is 13.0.2907.0, but this is not correct. I have 13.0.2907.1

My purpose in posting here is to hopefully get some feedback on the following:

1) To see if this issue is affecting other users or not, so that I can determine whether it is PD13 itself, or an issue with my PC

2) If it is an issue with my PC, any advice and tips on troubleshooting or hardware deficiencies (see list below of things I have already tried).

3) In particular, is RAM the issue? Is more than 8GB required for PD13? I seem to meet the required spec of 6GB or above.

Troubleshooting I have already undertaken:

-re-installing PD13

-using a more recent version of NVIDIA drivers (now reverted after hardware acceleration was removed)

-hardware testing using built-in function in OSX - successful

-Windows Memory diagnostic - successful on 'standard' setting, hung at 21% overnight on 'extended' setting. I don't know if this is indicative of failure or not. It appears to be a commonly reported issue.

-CHKDSK - system corrected free space that was marked as allocated

-sfc /scannow - some corruptions have been found that I have been unable to repair, even after using "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth".

-Malware Bytes premium - system is clean

Many thanks in advance,

PTR99
 Filename
PTR99-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
217 time(s)
 Filename
PD13 application hang.txt
[Disk]
 Description
PD13 application hang
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
271 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Thank you for the clear info and the attachments - these help a great deal. I may have further requests for info.
In the PDR13 application hang" text file (The program PDR13.exe version 13.0.2907.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.), shows you are using 2907.0 withdrawn patch and not the replacement patch 2907.1. Please check. See Guide, Part A http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page
One of the reasons 2907 was withdrawn was it caused crashes when editing.

OK, the diagnostic. You may be better to have 12 to 16GB of RAM rather than just 2GB above the bare minimum. The 1Gb GPU card will struggle with HD and with high bitrate HD footage (mov is likely to be high bitrate).

You have a large (C) HDD and early ones struggled to cope with data retrieval - basically they were slow.

Uncheck hardware acceleration in Preferences - may assist you.
Uncheck the shadow file generation in Preferences, General and Confirmation tab. You just don't need them and it may well be the cause of the problem. With shadow edit files they need to be ALL produced BEFORE you start any form of editing.

Please can you provide the MediaInfo on the video you are importing. See Part J in the guide. Mixing media formats and frame size/rates in a track can cause problems (such as you're experiencing), has in the past. test out your media to see if you can edit one type and see if PDR13 functions, then add others and see what the mix is that throws PDR.

1. Please provide the MediaInfo.
2. Please attach a screenshot of the Edit Workspace with your project insitu. See Guide Part e & F.

I hope some of the above helps.

Dafydd
PTR99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 21:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd - thanks for your reply - I don't have all of the info yet, but can confirm that I have (prior to raising this issue) had patch 2907.1 installed (refer my original post).

Please see attached screenshots of the PD UI and Programs and Features section of the Control Panel. I suspect that the incorrect version number in the Event Viewer is an event logging bug, unless something has gone wrong during the installation of the patch?

I will acquire some more RAM in the near future and try your suggestions for hardware acceleration and shadow files. As a starting point, I have pulled the RAM out and clicked it back in just to rule out mis-seated RAM.

Can you advise, in general terms, that my experience with crashes is not common to any version of PD13 (other than 2907.0)?
[Thumb - PD13 version Control Panel.PNG]
 Filename
PD13 version Control Panel.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
37 time(s)
[Thumb - PD13 UI version.PNG]
 Filename
PD13 UI version.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PTR99,
Crashes, take a look at the forum reports and you'll see for yourself. The forum would be hit by crash event feedback.

As you know, video editing is stressful for a computer and if a hardware is failing then the computer will hang/crash. I actually wonder whether the data transfer and the creation of shadow edit files is the cause - you may be editing before completion of the tasks. For example: a click on PDR's media library and a video will interfere with shadow file generation in some cases.

Thank you for the patch confirmation - the application report throwing up 2907.0 is strange.

Dafydd