Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Questions about licensing
alexd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2014 13:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all. I have PD13 installed on my workstation, but every now and then I have the need to do imports, quick cuts of unwanted scenes, and cut CD's in the field using my laptop. Does the licensing model of PD allow me to have it installed on more than one machine, provided that only one copy is in use at any one time? Basically, is it a per seat or per machine license?

thanks
alex
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all. I have PD13 installed on my workstation, but every now and then I have the need to do imports, quick cuts of unwanted scenes, and cut CD's in the field using my laptop. Does the licensing model of PD allow me to have it installed on more than one machine, provided that only one copy is in use at any one time? Basically, is it a per seat or per machine license?

thanks
alex

This is a link to the Cyberlink End User license.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=17447&prodId=4&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=license

Discussion about using PowerDirector for Commercial uses. This was on the PowerDirector 12 forum.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/39934.page#206202

Somebody is using PowerDirector in a commercial use.
Press release
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/company/press-news-content.do?pid=3647

The question of per person or per computer seems to be per computer.

Read between the lines, they are selling copies of the program to use on multiple computers.
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/volume-license/enu/index.jsp

I am not a lawyer or an employee of Cyberlink. I am a user and I am stating only my opinion.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Yes, is one license per each computer:

* GRANT OF LICENSE & USAGE RESTRICTIONS
Below are the general license terms and usage restrictions followed by specific provisions depending on the type of license you have. CyberLink, as licensor, grants to you, the licensee, a non-exclusive right to download and/or install the accompanying PowerDirector software program(s) (hereinafter the "SOFTWARE") on a certain number of computer(s)/ device(s) in accordance with the number of the license(s) you purchased and use the SOFTWARE in accordance with the terms contained in this license.

Wow, I usually don't read the licensing agreements, but now I did it and found this gem:

If you are going to use the SOFTWARE for commercial purposes then additional licenses will be needed for the following non-exhaustive list of third party technologies:
Technology Contract Name Licensing Agent/ Licensor
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC AVC Patent Portfolio License
MPEG-LA, LLC, 6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 400E Greenwood Village, Colorado, USA 80111
MPEG-1/2 Audio (Encoder) MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License
MPEG-2 Video MPEG-2 Patent Portfolio License
MVC MVC Patent Portfolio License
Sensio 3D/2D Software Library License and Ancillary Services Agreement Sensio Technologies, Inc., 1751, Richardson, Suite 4.206, Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3K 1G6
MPEG-2/4 AAC, 5.1-ch Decoder + 2-ch Encoder AAC Patent License Agreement Via Licensing Corporation, 475 Brannan Street, Suite 320, San Francisco, CA 94107-5420, USA
CyberLink does not license the above items for commercial use and you are advised to approach the relevant licensing agents at the above addresses for more information.
* MPEG DISTRIBUTION
ANY USE OF THIS PRODUCT IN ANY MANNER OTHER THAN PERSONAL USE THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING VIDEO INFORMATION FOR PACKAGED MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER APPLICABLE PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS AVAILABLE FROM MPEG-LA,LLC AT THE ADDRESS ABOVE.
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD ("AVC VIDEO" AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG-LA.
You also acknowledge that no rights are granted or may be extended to you to use the SOFTWARE with MPEG-4 Video Content unless such MPEG-4 Content is sold or delivered to you by a content outlet licensed under the MPEG-4 Essential Claims to make such sale or delivery.

You cannot use the PD for commercial work unless you pay extra... I wonder how many commercial/business users did that?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2014 21:14

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
While speaking with Cyberlink big-wigs about this exact subject, they indicated to me that Powerdirector is a top choice of videographers all over Taiwan and there was no concern whatsoever regarding licensing. Unless I am producing hundreds of video DVDs, or showing my work in theaters coast to coast, I'll sleep well. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
Well, in Taiwan there are no IP lawyers to get you.
Different situation in US, Canada, EU or Australia.

There is no such requirements for other software that is more expensive, they include licensing for the third-party entities listed above.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2014 21:41

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have, again, submitted a ticket to see if I can get clarification on this. It won't stop me either way. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
I didn't say to stop. But be aware that, if you become successful enough, one of the above companies lawyers might take a swing at you.
You could ask for licensing of one of the above formats, have no clue what that implies.

As far as I am concerned, it is kind of a dirty trick to get the pricing below competition. Definitely, based on their EULA, not a "professional" NLE solution as some reviews claim.

PS: I am just a home user, no commercial aspirations, that didn't read the EULA.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2014 11:52

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The subject of commercial use has come up again and again. I brought this up at the 2014 MVP webinar, but got no answer.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40795.page
Please clarify commercial use.

Customer Support Response 2014/10/24 05:52
Dear Barry,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with commercial use for PowerDirector.

In regard of your concern, I request you provide me the screenshot of "subject of commercial use has come up again and again", in order to under the issue in a better way.

In order to take screenshot, Please follow the below mention steps:
a.Press "Printscreen" Key from your keyboard.
b.Open Paint , "Ctrl+V" or right click and paste into the Paint.
c.Click File > Save As, than save the file by any name and ensure that image sholud save with jpg or jpeg format.
d.Click "Ok"

As per the forum link, I would like to infrom that the single license can be used on the single computer as per the EULa policy and in order to remove the unwanted part from the video you can use the trim and multitrim option.

Also I would like to inform you that the Cyberlink software is for the Home users, as from these software you can edit video and share them on social media.

If I misunderstood your concern, I request you to please elaborate your concern, in order to provide you the correct information. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting quote from above:

"Also I would like to inform you that the Cyberlink software is for the Home users..." Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
[Post New]
Interesting is also to note youtube's monetizetion conditions:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2490020?hl=en

You may be able to use audio and visual editing software to create monetizable content, but this depends on the scope, limitations and commercial permissions of the license. If you have used samples or loops, make sure that the license specifically allows for their commercial use.
If you are asked by YouTube to provide more information about content you created using an editing software, it may be helpful to provide the following:
•Name of software
•URL link to its licensing terms granting commercial use rights
•State whether or not you used any loops, music samples, or stock images

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2014 16:01

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Barry, am I mistaken in understanding you have gotten slightly different
answers over the years?
Didn't suite 2 come with the announcement: "Complete Post-Production Suite for Creative Professionals" ?
I think the slogan now is "Complete Video and Photo Editing Solution for Creative Experts".
???
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Nina,
SLAM-DUNK!
You nailed it. I'd like to see the emails from BIG companies' lawyers that led to that wording change.
Although I do not appreciate the grey advertising techniques...I'd be willing to pay a wee bit more for commercial support.
To that point, I glossed over the Codec legalese and the fees seemed very minimal. I'll await my corrections from the masses.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2014 21:51

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
True, the fees might not be a big deal. I am just appalled that those are not included in a video editing tool so advanced.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2014 14:16