Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why your CPU should run at 100%
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
In a previous life I was a system performance consultant for many, many years. 100% utilization (somewhat less, as a concession to queuing theory) is a goal. Ideally, you want all of the "servers" in a system to run flat out; otherwise you are wasting resources.

By "servers" I mean something quite specific in a theoretical sense: a server is something that serves a queue of transactions.

I don't want to get into the details, as the mathematics are very gnarly and I don't want to teach a couple of semesters on this; but here's a thumbnail sketch:

You want all of your servers (cpu, disk, memory, network, and user(s) are the most obvious) to be as close to 100% utilized as they can be while not increasing overall response time to an annoying degree. For an interactive system (where the users are the source of the transactions), that means that you want keystrokes and mouse clicks to be serviced instantaneously. Non-interactive transactions, such as producing a video, can generally tolerate a longer response time.

As I said before, if you can't drive all of your servers as close to 100% as possible then you have a bottleneck in your system and are wasting something you paid for. As far as the CPU goes, that's why multi-threaded programs are a good idea. Ideally you want at least one thread (including other programs) for each CPU core. You also don't want your other servers to be underutilized; that's why a mixture of applications tends to use the overall system more efficiently than a single program.

That's already more than most of you want to know, so I'll end with one final thought: every system has one bottleneck at every instant of every day.

Now, as to whether or not any given physical component can stand up to the load is a matter of engineering. For example, a CPU should be able to run at 100% forever. If it can't, then it wasn't designed properly. That might have been a marketing decision based upon the target price point, or it might have been some kind of mistake.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 12:02

Jerry Schwartz
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
But in reality for all of us... that never happens does it? __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: But in reality for all of us... that never happens does it?

Not generally: as I said, a system always has a bottleneck. Sometimes that bottleneck is the user; if it weren't, you certainly could overuse your mouse. When I got the first Windows system in our office, we had a Minesweeper tournament. It was hard to explain why I needed a new mouse every three weeks.

If you were calculating pi to a bazillion decimal places, you could run a single CPU to 100%. (I think I read about a multi-threaded algorithm for calculating pi, but let's leave that to the real mathematicians.)

When PD is producing a video, it has to get it's input from somewhere and put its output somewhere. That means it has to access the disks, so there is more than one server (and its associated queue) to deal with. It also might fill up physical memory, which would bring virtual memory (the swap file) into play. That would add yet another server (memory) and add to the disk queue.

This can get unbelievably complex, especially if you are using a "render farm."

The math is so hideous that it usually gets swept under the rug by invoking the time-honored phrase "We can approximate this term..."

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 12:14

Jerry Schwartz
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
So in reality............ not much need to worry about it..... especially on my machine...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 13:55

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: So in reality............ not much need to worry about it..... especially on my machine...

Right.

As someone else mentioned in a different thread, it is a good idea to clean things out every once in awhile. Also, pay attention to any buzzing, humming, or groaning noises that might mean a fan is failing. Jerry Schwartz
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
This is getting way off topic guys. It certainly does not help the new users, Win 10, i7